House Price Crash Forum

Bt Workers Get 9% !

HOLA441
HOLA442

Great. Now perhaps they might get around to sorting out the effed up broadband in the West London area. <_<

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yeh and slow, useless effed up broadband in the Kirklees area too. T*ssers.

It would be nice if they stopped charging me for a service i cancelled 2months ago and even on my last bill got a message saying "thank you for being a customer with us". I got the monthly fee taken, the cancellation fee taken.

The following month, charged again. I dont even have it!! Their billing is woeful. Though to be fair whenever i have phoned up (3 times in 10months) they have always corrected it immediately. It shouldn't need 3 phone calls though.

HOLA448

Well given RPI is currently 5.1%, they lose 2.1% the first year and then whatever RPI is over the following two years against the remainder. It's a shame the Union can't seem to work out they're all getting a pay cut.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

i remember the union (of which i was not part) at northern rock congratulating themselves in a newsletter of the below inflation pay rise they had managed to 'negotiate' for us.

Thanks, no seriously, thanks so much. Learned a lot from that episode.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Could you please put the headline as 3% pa for 3 years rather than copying media style headlines ?

It is an OK deal - RPI is 5%, so effectively a pay cut. Also pensionable income only rise by 2% (so only 2% out of the 3% pay rise are pensionble).

The attack on pension now begins, and there are likely to be more force seller of houses than it is now (need money to downside and spend)

HOLA4414

I enjoyed this comment on the article;

Skynews is missing the true story. BT orginally offered 5.1% over 24 months, or 0.243% per month. The new offer of 9.3% over 39 months is worth 0.238% per month. So it’s actually worse deal for the worker's than the orginal BT offer AND BT get to pay the % increase they originally wished to pay for far longer! (i.e. 39 months rather than just 24 months).

Will someone in the unions please add up, please add up, please add up?

HOLA4415

Shylock, i think it was over 21months so infact they got an even rawer deal. I bet the employees are delighted the money the CWU take each month from them has been invested well in skilled negotiators, and not maths teachers.

HOLA4416

Skynews is missing the true story. BT orginally offered 5.1% over 24 months, or 0.243% per month. The new offer of 9.3% over 39 months is worth 0.238% per month. So it’s actually worse deal for the worker's than the orginal BT offer AND BT get to pay the % increase they originally wished to pay for far longer! (i.e. 39 months rather than just 24 months).

How are these figures of .243% and .238% arrived at ?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

yep, thats deflationary alright

If wages rise 9% over 3 years (approx 2.5% per year) and inflation runs at 5% per year. What is it if it isn't deflationary (ie: they will be able to afford LESS with their money)?

Edited by MinceBalls

HOLA4419

If wages rise 9% over 3 years (approx 2.5% per year) and inflation runs at 5% per year. What is it if it isn't deflationary (ie: they will be able to afford LESS with their money)?

Wouldn't it only be deflationary if prices went down to reflect the fact that folk have effectively got less money?

The amount of total money will be the same it's just that some of what is in the employees pockets today (percentage-wise) will be in the BT director and shareholders pockets instead. BT are not known for putting their prices down.

Is the deflation/inflation argument a nice sideshow to distract us from noticing the real problem and that's who the same amount of money is now flowing from/to?

HOLA4420

Wouldn't it only be deflationary if prices went down to reflect the fact that folk have effectively got less money?

The amount of total money will be the same it's just that some of what is in the employees pockets today (percentage-wise) will be in the BT director and shareholders pockets instead. BT are not known for putting their prices down.

Is the deflation/inflation argument a nice sideshow to distract us from noticing the real problem and that's who the same amount of money is now flowing from/to?

wages dont cause inflation or deflation. they are a result.

HOLA4421

Shylock, i think it was over 21months so infact they got an even rawer deal. I bet the employees are delighted the money the CWU take each month from them has been invested well in skilled negotiators, and not maths teachers.

Yes but you're assuming that after the 21 months is up they would have got something. If not, then the new deal could be better.

After all, would you rather have 5.1% + ??? or 9%? Given that ??? could be zero, 9% seems pretty good to me.

HOLA4422

the term you are looking for is biflation

it's a hell of a lot more likely than deflation without inflation

i don't see food or energy prices coming down in our lifetimes personally

With biflation on the one hand, the economy is fueled by an over-abundance of money injected into the economy by central banks. Since most essential commodity-based assets (food, energy, clothing, precious metals) remain in high demand, the price for them rises due to the increased volume of money chasing them. The increasing costs to purchase these essential assets is the price-inflationary arm of Biflation.[4]

With biflation on the other hand, the economy is tempered by increasing unemployment and decreasing purchasing power. As a result, a greater amount of money is directed toward buying essential items and directed away from buying non-essential items. Debt-based assets (mega-houses, high-end automobiles, stocks, and bonds) become less essential and increasingly fall into lower demand. As a result, the prices for them fall due to the decreased volume of money chasing them. The decreasing costs to purchase these non-essential assets is the price-deflationary arm of biflation.

Edited by Ruffneck

HOLA4423

wages dont cause inflation or deflation. they are a result.

Not sure i get that one.

If an employer puts my wages down but keeps their prices high then there has been no deflation or inflation but less pounds in my pocket and more in theirs. That's deflation for me and inflation for them but toal is still the same.

HOLA4424

It would be nice if they stopped charging me for a service i cancelled 2months ago and even on my last bill got a message saying "thank you for being a customer with us". I got the monthly fee taken, the cancellation fee taken.

The following month, charged again. I dont even have it!! Their billing is woeful. Though to be fair whenever i have phoned up (3 times in 10months) they have always corrected it immediately. It shouldn't need 3 phone calls though.

..its the blatant lies and misselling that gets me. Had I known fixed line broadband would be half the speed of a 3g dongle I wouldn't have ordered it! I was "promised" 3MB download when I signed up, its usually 0.5 kbps. They say "they don't know" until the service is wired up. They damn well do, as there are a half dozen BT Home Hubs picked up on my wireless thingy and BT Wholesale will have a database of the supported line speeds in this vicinity. When I tried to cancel, they quoted their T&C which would impose cancellation charges.

I have written to the Chairman of BT, Ofcom and the Advertising Standards Authority. Fat lot of good that will do, but I am sick of BT and their pathetic excuses.

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

HOLA4425