House Price Crash Forum

Seller Pays The Deposit! Ea,s New Campaign

HOLA441
Seller pays the deposit!

THE Sequence estate agency chain have launched a national campaign designed to help first-time buyers — by getting the seller to pay the deposit.

After recent evidence suggested it could take first-time buyers over four and a half years to save for a five per cent deposit, Sequence’s London divisional managing director Vito Rausa said: “To help get the market moving again, we’ve been talking to our sellers whose properties have been on the market for a while and are ideal for first-time buyers. We’ve asked them to agree to pay a five per cent deposit to the buyer and in return this massive promotion will be highlighted in our branches, in the newspapers and in mail-outs. This will then generate activity around their property and get the sale they wanted. Within just four hours of launching in our Thornton Heath branch, we had a seller signed up and more are joining the campaign.” The seller in question, Karin Campbell, was delighted with the initiative. “It needed an estate agent to offer something different to the usual price reduction,” she said. “This keeps everyone happy and most importantly it gets people moving.”

http://www.estateagencynews.co.uk/news/cur...news-0805c.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

I've seen this little scheme in a mail out by our clearly desperate local EAs.

Sounds very fishy to me and I wonder if the legality is dubious.

If they have to return 5% of the price in cash to the buyer, then surely they've just in effect taken 5pc off the price and the real achievable value of the property is actually 5% lower than the transaction on paper.

It's like me selling you a button for £100 but giving you £99 first, and then you claim you have a button worth £100.

So the buyer will, in the real world, have a 100% mortgage rather than 95%. Does this not mean that the buyer has taken on more risk than they agreed with their lender?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
I've seen this little scheme in a mail out by our clearly desperate local EAs.

Sounds very fishy to me and I wonder if the legality is dubious.

If they have to return 5% of the price in cash to the buyer, then surely they've just in effect taken 5pc off the price and the real achievable value of the property is actually 5% lower than the transaction on paper.

It's like me selling you a button for £100 but giving you £99 first, and then you claim you have a button worth £100.

So the buyer will, in the real world, have a 100% mortgage rather than 95%. Does this not mean that the buyer has taken on more risk than they agreed with their lender?

Well, they've got one seller signed up so that's the entire market saved! When it gets to this stage it's apparent what powerless little bods agents are, given the bubble of the century are their egos prepeared for the ensuing market conditions?

Indeed, this is pointless, much like the incentives on new builds it helps keep the illusion that prices are stable, why not just drop the house by 5% since it's clearly over-valued anyway? If the EA is less than honest they will just load the 5% on the price, as they do anyway for normal sales.

It seems they have a mental block, houses aren't selling but prices aren't the problem, so they're essentially bribing people with a 5% discount because prices aren't a problem. Seems they don't appreciate that this is real money, real debt that has to be repaid, it's just numbers on paper for them.

Basically they're scraping the barrel for buyers, all the mugs with any sort of deposit have disappered, the same is happening in the US in the form of neg amortization, expect the same to happen over here, however the banks are probably scared of future mis-selling claims.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Why cant the sellers wait 4 and a half years for the FTB to build up a suitable deposit? Oops or is that timescale not a trough? :unsure:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I know someone that has negotiated a seller pays 10% deposit. This was knocked off the price of an already reduced house.

In full it equates to a 20% discount. He's quite chuffed.

I wonder if that is a good deal and how do you tell. I would be waiting for a 20% reduction in house prices which I would probably have to waite a year or two. He got it today.

HOLA4411

Keeps the "list price" of the house up?

Just as car manufacturers offer "contributions" to a deposit or special deals.

The list price doesn't change.

Citroens, for instance are never sold at list price.

So what does the sale price get recorded as?

With or without the seller contribution?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

this is the negative EA effect.

Durring a boom the more your house sells for the more they get.. so they push the price up.. they are at this point the Sellers best friend.

But thats when its a sellers maket..

Now its a buyers market..

So the estate agent switches sides..

they are the buyers best friend.. Far fewer houses are being sold and they don't get paid with no sale.

They want to shift property and they don't want the most expensive properties in the area on their books..

They want the cheapest..

They are now going to become our best friends

HOLA4414
this is the negative EA effect.

Durring a boom the more your house sells for the more they get.. so they push the price up.. they are at this point the Sellers best friend.

But thats when its a sellers maket..

Now its a buyers market..

So the estate agent switches sides..

they are the buyers best friend.. Far fewer houses are being sold and they don't get paid with no sale.

They want to shift property and they don't want the most expensive properties in the area on their books..

They want the cheapest..

They are now going to become our best friends

Not really, that 5% will be counted as the sale price so their commission will be based on it, better than just knocking 5% off.

HOLA4415
Not really, that 5% will be counted as the sale price so their commission will be based on it, better than just knocking 5% off.

They want sales.

They want to sell more then the other guys and in a buyers market that means they will be pushing prices down..

Granted they will try and cover this with smoke and mirrors..

but it can be seent hat they are already advising people to drop prices.

Not so they sell quickly..

but so the EA gets the money from a sale that could have gone to an EA up the street.

They want to have the cheapest properties.

If another property is the same in another EA they will want theirs to be cheaper..

this is as was last time.. the point where the EA's will push prices down

HOLA4416
They want sales.

They want to sell more then the other guys and in a buyers market that means they will be pushing prices down..

Granted they will try and cover this with smoke and mirrors..

Indeed, it's all about volume and cutting prices whilst saving face, obviously £5k for example doesn't make much difference to their commission but panders to the vendors ego that this is considered a deposit not a price cut.

I've spoken to an EA recently (aren't I brave) and they were very much in denial, I cannot work out whether is some kind of mental block or whether they actually believe their own BS. Anyway, they've been sacking staff and they can only afford a single B&W page in the local rag, and there is a 'merger' (closure) on the boards, they know this they know I know this, but they BS on regardless, they even pushed "potential value" of a house up by £20k despite a dog of a summer and all the above difficulties, I left them to it.