House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

5 Live On Halifax Figures And House Prices Now

Should be some debate coming. Initial suggestion is that indexes are contradictory and regional.

"We want to hear about the housing market in your area.."

Buy or rent?

Phone 0500 909 693 now.

Jonathon Davis now coming on! With an EA....

JD now predicting 30% drop in house prices.

Edited by juvenal

Should be some debate coming. Initial suggestion is that indexes are contradictory and regional.

"We want to hear about the housing market in your area.."

Buy or rent?

Phone 0500 909 693 now.

Jonathon Davis now coming on! With an EA....

JD now predicting 30% drop in house prices.

I've put in a call.....Doubt I will get on though, getting a feel from the researchers tone of voice.

FP is ranting and sounding like a loon!

I flicked it on for 5 minutes. The sound of shock (even if it was put on) in Ian Payne's voice at the idea of 'his house' falling 30% in value was worth hearing.

I've put in a call.....Doubt I will get on though, getting a feel from the researchers tone of voice.

FP is ranting and sounding like a loon!

EA sounding more reasonable than FP Im afraid!

I flicked it on for 5 minutes. The sound of shock (even if it was put on) in Ian Payne's voice at the idea of 'his house' falling 30% in value was worth hearing.

All over now, a bit like a roast magot, short and sweet.

FP: Repossessions are going through the stratosphere--stupid prices--they are going down 30% don't buy!

He's right you know.

So it's 30% now is it.... by the end of the year????? SEE MY SIG?????

Opening rounds clearly went to the bears, with JD hammering home the stats, while the aggrieved caller got the 'House Prices Are Too High!' message over loud and clear.

EA sees the way forward as 'shared ownership'.

FFS

Sounding hysterical, shouting, shrill, interrupting is just good radio for the journos IMPO. They love having guests like that as they can label them as the looney expert - sorry, have to be blunt about that.

1. Don't shout.

2. Don't interrupt.

3. Don't talk in long rants - 5 second soundbites, no longer.

4. Reassure the audience that you are on their side - i.e. instead of saying HPs will crash by 90 percent, and appear to be revelling in it, say something like "I am deeply concerned for homeowners because most of them do not know that the price of their house is about to fall through the floor.", etc, etc.

The other guy, the EA, sounded reasonable and was able to project a tone of laughter towards FP's rants which will not have been lost on the audience.

Just listened to that on the car. My wife and I did chuckle...

"We're all DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!" Ok he didn't really say that, but I was waiting for it. Along with "The end of the world is nigh"

It was a pity the EA kept calm and composed. People will just think the economist was a nutter (despite telling the truth)

Opening rounds clearly went to the bears, with JD hammering home the stats, while the aggrieved caller got the 'House Prices Are Too High!' message over loud and clear.

EA sees the way forward as 'shared ownership'.

FFS

The EA's are really clinging to this Shared Ownership scam aren't they? JD was good, and the caller that spelt out the income multiple to house price was a valuable hit.

The EA guy is just looking more and more delusional.

The Football player owning 65 properties is a new slant. Glad the sods were knocked out of the World cup in disgrace now. Football bubble bursting will be nice to see over the next couple of years!!

It's a funny old game!

I think Tony Livesey, who's on hols it seems, would have been slightly more bearish, but no articles last very long on such a late show.

Sounding hysterical, shouting, shrill, interrupting

I didn't listen, but I assume from the comments that FP (or whatever he wants to be called this week) did his usual loon performance...

Sounding hysterical, shouting, shrill, interrupting is just good radio for the journos IMPO. They love having guests like that as they can label them as the looney expert - sorry, have to be blunt about that.

1. Don't shout.

2. Don't interrupt.

3. Don't talk in long rants - 5 second soundbites, no longer.

4. Reassure the audience that you are on their side - i.e. instead of saying HPs will crash by 90 percent, and appear to be revelling in it, say something like "I am deeply concerned for homeowners because most of them do not know that the price of their house is about to fall through the floor.", etc, etc.

The other guy, the EA, sounded reasonable and was able to project a tone of laughter towards FP's rants which will not have been lost on the audience.

I don't think it matters any more. The fat lady is singing, and that always rattles the chandeliers....

(fwiw - go FP!)

I've seen and heard jd on a few things lately. Was more measured on some austerity thing on tv (BBC), but was mostly reverting to screaming lunatic mode. Maybe it's a way to get more air time, journalism isn't about truth or news, it's entertainment looking for ratings. Jd is a cartoon most of the time, maybe that's why he gets on so many things. But is he informing more people with this technique or just colouring all bears with a loony brush?

I echo your thoughts. Although FP was talking sense he is being portrayed as a nutter (which is maybe why BBC/ VI let him on air). where as the EA arguments where fundementally flawed but he came across as likeable and reasonable.

Or is it that we have been on HPC.co.uk too long and we are all mad!

I echo your thoughts. Although FP was talking sense he is being portrayed as a nutter (which is maybe why BBC/ VI let him on air). where as the EA arguments where fundementally flawed but he came across as likeable and reasonable.

Or is it that we have been on HPC.co.uk too long and we are all mad!

I agree with JD but he needs to discover marajuana.

So it's 30% now is it.... by the end of the year????? SEE MY SIG?????

FP has always been shrill, he's looking pretty long in the tooth now in my view.... as for his predictions of 30% by the end of the year or even by the end of next, I think he's dreaming... he'll be frothing at the mouth for the next five years until we finally hit bottom after a very long very slow decline..... as for the end of this year, we'll be lucky if prices are lower than they were in Jan in my view........ as for 20%/30% it's just not going to happen that quickly in my view....... to get prices more than 20% below the jan start is going to need falls of 3%/4%/5% per month not including inflation adjustments for the remainder of the year.... the last three months have been something like 0.1%/0.3%/0.6%...... and thats only halifax...... its a long way away from being crash speed or anything like.

I don't think it matters any more. The fat lady is singing, and that always rattles the chandeliers....

(fwiw - go FP!)

Agreed, the ship will go down anyway, FP and the other talking heads will just react to it now, they can`t influence the outcome much IMO because people who want to jump in can`t get credit and those who want to sell can`t let go for the real price (bank won`t let them most cases?) At least FP can say "I told you so" soon? we will see who is ranting then laugh.gif

As much as we want prices to go down, if you'd bought in 2003/2004 and overpaid, you'd have a large proportion of the mortgage paid by now.

No denying that.

It seems inevitable that prices have to slip soon though.

As much as we want prices to go down, if you'd bought in 2003/2004 and overpaid, you'd have a large proportion of the mortgage paid by now.

No denying that.

It seems inevitable that prices have to slip soon though.

Not if you went IO or MEW`d? even with repayment there would still be a long way to go before the bank was finished with you?