House Price Crash Forum

People Getting Angry As Councils Need To Make Cuts

HOLA441

40 million is a snip to the banks who we bailed out. It would mean nothing to slap a quick 40 million back tax on bonuses just to pay for things as we go along.

But we didn't GIVE the banks money - we now OWN large chunks of those banks. We can sell those later on to get the money back. If you pay £40 million PER ANNUM on council projects (many of which are far from essential) it's gone for good.

TMT, again 100% spot on.  All Council's says "let's cut projects or services to save money" ignoring the fact that about 85% of the costs are staff related, the logical outcome of their approach is that they end up with a lot of people doing nothing.   Of course they are happy with this outcome.

Well the council WORKERS would be happy, but they aren't the ones making the decisions. The elected councillors make the decisions, and they are paid a small allowance unrelated to the number of council workers.

Why should they be happy with taxing people but providing no services? They won't be re-elected that way!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I must admit I have an emotional attatchment to my local library.

I joined in 1965, aged 5, and basically sourced all my reading matter from there. Just the usual stuff. I remeber Bobby Brewster, Just william, Jennings etc.

What would I have done at 5 years old if there had been no library.

Granted I don`t use it much now, I sort of like Amazoon too, but I`m more than willing to chip in to keep it open for others. You never know I may want to use it again sometime and once you lose these things you never get them back.

When was the last time you hired out a library book to find something out, rather than googled it?

I loved the library as a child, but if I were a child now i'd never use it. I don't want to pay council tax to fund libraries just in case the internet goes down, or for four old ladies a week to hire out books.

If anyone is desperate to read a book and has limited money or no internet connection, may I recommend Oxfam? I've got loads of cheap books there.

HOLA443

When was the last time you hired out a library book to find something out, rather than googled it?

I loved the library as a child, but if I were a child now i'd never use it. I don't want to pay council tax to fund libraries just in case the internet goes down, or for four old ladies a week to hire out books.

If anyone is desperate to read a book and has limited money or no internet connection, may I recommend Oxfam? I've got loads of cheap books there.

+1

It's getting like an edition of "Looks Familiar" where people hark back to things from their chiildhood. Libraries were a great idea, now they're not needed so should close.

HOLA444

You've never been able to hire out reference books.

Libaraies provide free internet access.

They are always busy whenever I go in.

Lot of selfish philistines on here.

"I don't use it so close it down".

HOLA445

But we didn't GIVE the banks money - we now OWN large chunks of those banks. We can sell those later on to get the money back. If you pay £40 million PER ANNUM on council projects (many of which are far from essential) it's gone for good.

It's gone for good? Well certainlt the roads and schools would be, unless of course you get some private sector company in to run them. That's bound to save money as no private sector company would cream off profits from taxpayers to give to shareholders and put into Fred Goodwin style pension funds would they?

As for getting the money back from the banks, you assume the banks will still exist to pay the money back. Given the enormous hole these private companies have dug for themselves and the rest of the country, this is by no means a given.

HOLA446

Could you have afforded Oxfam prices (or tolerated their selection) as a child? I certainly couldn't've.

Anyone in a modern low-cost house has another problem: you don't want to go buying books unless you have space for bookshelves! Better to use a library so you only have to give shelf-space to what you're reading at the time.