House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

Why Do Taxi Drivers Hand Those Pine Air Fresheners In Their Cars?

Had to take a lengthy taxi journey to a meeting today (clutch went on my car) and inevitably the taxi had a cardboard scented pine-tree hanging from the rear view mirror, filling the car with a nauseating, chemical smell. Absolutely ghastly, especially when over-heated.

Why do people, and taxi drivers in particular, use these in preference to fresh air?

Answers on a sick-bag please...

Had to take a lengthy taxi journey to a meeting today (clutch went on my car) and inevitably the taxi had a cardboard scented pine-tree hanging from the rear view mirror, filling the car with a nauseating, chemical smell.  Absolutely ghastly, especially when over-heated.

Why do people, and taxi drivers in particular, use these in preference to fresh air?

Customers smell? Yes when I bought my last car it had one. Vile! Hmm I hope it wasn't an ex taxi! :lol:

I think its an anti-cyclist measure.... any taxi within 100m ahead of me and I'm choking on the fumes... even on a windy day!

Bloody hate those things, I can't have one in my car lest I boak over the dashboard.

Not quite as bad as when I was in a mates car and his dog farted in the back, we skidded to a halt at the side of the road and fell out of the doors hands over mouths, weeping and praying for death.

Guest Noodle

Had to take a lengthy taxi journey to a meeting today (clutch went on my car) and inevitably the taxi had a cardboard scented pine-tree hanging from the rear view mirror, filling the car with a nauseating, chemical smell. Absolutely ghastly, especially when over-heated.

A site agent I worked with ten years ago had an addiction for Magic Trees, those things you describe. He had about 30 of them in his 4x4, around the mirror, indicator and wiper sticks . . .

Anyway, one day he comes back to site from Billingsgate fish market with the boot full of . . . rapidly defrosting haddock.

Now combine the two odours.

Most taxis will have been vomited in a number of times.

I have small children. This is certainly why I have bought the odd one for my own car.

See the film "Repo man"!

It will all become clear!

Back in the day when Supergrass were starting out, I'd take mini cabs back home of a night and they were comically scented up and blanketed, Pulp Fiction style, and the transmission was always so bassy and whiney and the chassis so crablike as it wended its dodgy way up Upper St.

That's why.

I don't know. Why do taxi drivers hand those pine air fresheners in their cars.

I don't know. Why do taxi drivers hand those pine air fresheners in their cars.

Because what would be the point of hanging them on the outside of their cars?

Boom-tish.

I'll get my coat.

Customers smell? Yes when I bought my last car it had one. Vile! Hmm I hope it wasn't an ex taxi! :lol:

When times got a bit hard about ten years ago, I did a short stint as a cabbie[1], and I think the low point, customer-smell-wise, was when a woman left skid marks on the front passenger seat.

A little cardboard pine tree might've come in pretty handy that day I can tell you.

[1] I did it for 49 days. I counted. That's how little I enjoyed it.