House Price Crash Forum
xasperated

Southport (merseyside/lancashire) Get Real!

We live in Southport and here too house prices have increased by about 250% driven by greed and not by good quality homes. Many (the majority) of the 4 - 5 bedroom detached homes here are need of repair and upgrading. A mediocre 4 bedroom detached house in the Birkdale area of Southport is put on the market at 495K. Where the 4th bedroom is a small box passed on as a bedroom. Two years ago this very same property would have been around 150K to 175K if not lower. The estate agents in Southport are more greedy than the vendors hence they sustain the exagerrated prices even though sales have slowed down dramatically. House prices here are based on putting a wet finger in the air and guessing. There is no science nor business or commercial rational - just greed. Suckers who bought property in Southport a couple of months ago may already find themselves in negative equity. The market has died here but agents still keep the high prices propped on low quality product. Something needs to happen in Southport. Its a retirement community for gosh sakes and it certainly aint Palm Springs at that. Old victorian houses that need to be bulldozed are on the market for 500K as "executive potential", "retaining many original characteristics" and "charming" - come on get real Southport, a dump is a dump is a dump!

you are right...perhaps they should be twinned. I wonder if that will shift the house prices? Not a bad idea. Any other ideas to shift the crazy house prices in Southport welcome.

surely we can do something about house prices in local areas? As consumers with money who dont want to get ripped off when purchasing a home must have some power or influence? Its how to mobilise that influence where immoral and dodgy estate agents rule is the key. Often vendors trusting these higher "authorities" just wag their tails and follow wihtout question.

Any ideas on how to influence house prices in your area?

xasperated (totally) :(

you could point out that in the winter its full of old people, smells of piss and prescription medicines - whilst in the summer every scally for 50 miles around is eating chips and puking on lord st....

Thanks for the welcome. I hear you about "Don't buy them" as a viable strategy but as the Americans say this is such a "turkey shoot" as to whether it works or not. Also, it could mean a year or so before prices come down. In many parts of the world they use science, economics, statistics, demographics, geoscience and so on to set house prices. At least there is some tangible rationale behind them. Here there isnt. Its all based on perception and the advice of the estate agents (who are totally subjective). When prices are based on perception then there needs to be some kind of crisis that promotes fear which can influence vendors directly. Southport needs a crisis.

xasperated

We live in Southport and here too house prices have increased by about 250% driven by greed and not by good quality homes. Many (the majority) of the 4 - 5 bedroom detached homes here are need of repair and upgrading. A mediocre 4 bedroom detached house in the Birkdale area of Southport is put on the market at 495K. Where the 4th bedroom is a small box passed on as a bedroom. Two years ago this very same property would have been around 150K to 175K if not lower. The estate agents in Southport are more greedy than the vendors hence they sustain the exagerrated prices even though sales have slowed down dramatically. House prices here are based on putting a wet finger in the air and guessing. There is no science nor business or commercial rational - just greed. Suckers who bought property in Southport a couple of months ago may already find themselves in negative equity. The market has died here but agents still keep the high prices propped on low quality product. Something needs to happen in Southport. Its a retirement community for gosh sakes and it certainly aint Palm Springs at that. Old victorian houses that need to be bulldozed are on the market for 500K as "executive potential", "retaining many original characteristics" and "charming" - come on get real Southport, a dump is a dump is a dump!

Yep, and you could say just the same about anywhere in the UK. The hosuing market is a complete joke. Still, the joke is on the mugs who buy at these prices. Wonder if they'll still be laughing when their 500K dump falls back to 150k over the next 3-5 years?

Nomadd

Yep, and you could say just the same about anywhere in the UK. The hosuing market is a complete joke. Still, the joke is on the mugs who buy at these prices. Wonder if they'll still be laughing when their 500K dump falls back to 150k over the next 3-5 years?

Nomadd

Your are right. There is just no sense, science or economics involved just Greed. So what is it going to take to get a CRASH. We keep hearing from the banks (for the past 6 months that prices have flattend but will pick up again). Dont even get me started about what estate agents say about the market. Its just lies and propoganda. So much angst and tension has built up in the housing market in the UK that a crash seems inevitable. But how and when are the key issues. Probaly when the Estate Agents decide is my guess. My expericnes in the housing market has really taught me why estate agents are considered even lower than lawyers when it comes to scruples and as a profession. They will do anything to get an extra buck out of punters who dont question their itegrity and expertise. Remember anyone can become an estate agent - need I say more - scary isnt it?

Xasperated

Redrow Northwest have an advert in the local paper (Wirral) - 3 bed detached house was £179,950 now reduced to £169,950! Haven't seen a developer advertise reductions before...

Exactly - so why the high house prices for such a place?

Because (reality check I'm afraid) there happens to be an awful lot of money here. More money than sense. :unsure:

(BTW, I've just sold my Victorian "dump" for £500K and I think my buyers have got a bargain...... :rolleyes: )

Now I'm off to do the sensible thing and put my dosh into the stockmarket instead.... :ph34r:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Because (reality check I'm afraid) there happens to be an awful lot of money here. More money than sense. :unsure:

(BTW, I've just sold my Victorian "dump" for £500K and I think my buyers have got a bargain...... :rolleyes: )

Now I'm off to do the sensible thing and put my dosh into the stockmarket instead.... :ph34r:

"When you combine ignorance and borrowed money, the consequences can get interesting." - Warren Buffett

Too true. ;)

Hi - I wasn't too far away yesterday - Formby Freshfields to be precise - is it me or is the whole of Formy up for sale - certainly seemed that way on my way to Squirral Woods. Collette Gunter must have a full book at the mo - none sold [all exec houses by the way]. Maybe they know this is their last chance of megabucks.

Hi - I wasn't too far away yesterday - Formby Freshfields to be precise - is it me or is the whole of Formy up for sale - certainly seemed that way on my way to Squirral Woods. Collette Gunter must have a full book at the mo - none sold [all exec houses by the way]. Maybe they know this is their last chance of megabucks.

If you think Southport property prices are mad (several going for around £2million), just down the road in Formby Freshfield the house prices are astronomical - there are several ordinary suburban houses there in ordinary suburban roads with ordinary (less than half an acre of) gardens, going for £3million to £4million........not even any land!

If I had that sort of money, I'd want a country estate with paddocks and have to employ a gamekeeper etc!!!!!!

(AND THIS IS THE LIVERPOOL AREA REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by mrsmigraine