House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Public Sector Jobs Cut As Axe Starts To Swing

I notice in the Halifax thread Realistbear is saying that we probably need to start seeing ome job cuts to get the crash going. Private sector yesterday in Wales, public sector today.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/07/08/public-sector-jobs-cut-as-axe-starts-to-swing-91466-26808848/

Public sector jobs cut as axe starts to swing

HUNDREDS of temporary jobs within the Assembly Government and quangos are being axed to save money in the current financial year, we can reveal today.

The cuts are being implemented as anxiety grows within the Welsh public sector about the level of cuts that will be imposed by the Westminster coalition in October’s Comprehensive Spending Review.

A civil servant in the Assembly Government’s Department of Health and Social Services, who did not wish to be named, said some temporary staff on short-term contracts had been told this week they were having to leave earlier than they had expected.

“There have been quite a few unhappy people around this week,” said the civil servant. “Some have been saying they wouldn’t have booked summer holidays if they thought their contracts would not be renewed. Rightly or wrongly, they thought they would be staying on.

“It’s all very unfortunate. They’re not paid a lot of money, but they are an easy hit because they’re not entitled to any redundancy pay. So far, though, the highly-paid consultants haven’t been affected. Cutting them would produce real savings.”

At the end of March, around 260 people were employed by the Assembly Government on “casual” contracts, with 150 employed on a “fixed-term” basis.

Kate Bennett, national director for Wales of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), said: “We are very conscious there will be significant cuts to the public sector in Wales over the coming period, and we are determined that these cuts shouldn’t undo the valuable gains that have been made in relation to equality and human rights over recent years.

“Whether new services are being provided, or cuts are being made, public authorities have obligations. This includes carrying out assessments to establish which groups will benefit from, or be damaged by, these changes.

“We are reminding public bodies of their obligations, and will offer support to make the process of assessing the impact on different groups of people more streamlined and effective.”

Sources within the EHRC confirmed that cuts were already biting within the commission itself. When the contracts of temporary staff reach an end, they will not be renewed. The commission has also been ordered by the Home Office, which provides its core funding, to effectively end its external promotional activity. Similar prohibitions are likely to be imposed in other quangos.

Mr Harris said there was “huge anxiety” within public sector organisations about the cuts.

“I have had conversations with HR directors and finance directors who are having to work in a climate where they have to plan for large-scale redundancies. They won’t know the extent of it until the Spending Review in October, and are having to draw up different scenarios. In the wake of last weekend’s speculation about 40% cuts, they are putting together some very unpalatable scenarios. One has told me they are drawing up an option for 50% cuts.

“The impact of such cuts is unimaginable. Personally, I think there is a softening-up process going on. If we’re talking about 40% and 50% cuts, we’ll be relieved when it’s only 25%. But 25% will be bad in itself.”

Meanwhile the University and College Union (UCU) warned that tens of thousands of university jobs will be lost if funding is cut by 25%.

Students will face some of the largest class sizes in the developed world, and the quality of the university experience will fall, said the union.

UCU analysed the effect of funding cuts of 25% on universities in England. It found that if higher education funding is cut by this amount, 22,584 jobs will be lost.

'Kate Bennett, national director for Wales of the Equality and Human Rights Commission'

holy sh1t,someone's been paying for that.

Is it a human right in Wales to have a public sector job? Me no understand.

'“We are very conscious there will be significant cuts to the public sector in Wales over the coming period, and we are determined that these cuts shouldn’t undo the valuable gains that have been made in relation to equality and human rights over recent years.

I know of a case of a Welsh speaker who lost her job to a Welsh guy, born and bred as are his parents, because he has a middle eastern name as a surname - the public sector organisation wanted him to have the job because his surname filled their ethnic quota criteria... oh, and he has a slight tan... but the guy is born and bred in Wales and as Welsh as I am... but the quota is the quota is the quota...

But then the public sector organisation realised that the woman was a Welsh speaker and they went into huge internal conflicts about getting rid of her... so they took her back on... So now they have two people doing the same job but taking it in turns... but both being paid...

So that is how it works... alas, if you are white, english-speaking and unable to claim any ethnic connection you are fecked.

The government is caught between a rock and a hard place. They might well need to cut the public sector workforce by 50% in order to save the economy but if they do, that is likely to send us back into recession. 50% of the public sector workforce = 3 million people.

3 million so-called 'non-jobs' become non-consumers, claim benefits and cease paying income tax. That's on top of all the private sector people out of work.

The UK workforce is 29 million, of which 6 million are public sector.

The government is caught between a rock and a hard place. They might well need to cut the public sector workforce by 50% in order to save the economy but if they do, that is likely to send us back into recession. 50% of the public sector workforce = 3 million people.

3 million so-called 'non-jobs' become non-consumers, claim benefits and cease paying income tax. That's on top of all the private sector people out of work.

No one is consuming at the moment anyhow.

3 million so-called 'non-jobs' become non-consumers, claim benefits and cease paying income tax.

But they are paying tax from money which comes from taxes!!

'“We are very conscious there will be significant cuts to the public sector in Wales over the coming period, and we are determined that these cuts shouldn’t undo the valuable gains that have been made in relation to equality and human rights over recent years.

“Whether new services are being provided, or cuts are being made, public authorities have obligations. This includes carrying out assessments to establish which groups will benefit from, or be damaged by, these changes.

“We are reminding public bodies of their obligations, and will offer support to make the process of assessing the impact on different groups of people more streamlined and effective.”'

I love the way she manages to spin "public sector cuts" to mean "which will make my job more important than ever".

Technically yeas, but this doesnt free up this money in the private sector, it just dissappears as it part of the deficit that is cut so its not been generated in the economy at that time. The effect is still a 100% loss of money to the private economy so as has been said over the coming years i still think its more likely that there will be more job losses in the private sector than public, a depressionnary 13m+ economically inactive is very likely

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

As long as benefits < net wages

Which is why my belief is that ALL public sector jobs should be paid a NET wage - what is the point of paying someone money from tax receipts and then taking it back in tax?

Don't start me on tax credits!

'"We are very conscious there will be significant cuts to the public sector in Wales over the coming period, and we are determined that these cuts shouldn't undo the valuable gains that have been made in relation to equality and human rights over recent years.

"Whether new services are being provided, or cuts are being made, public authorities have obligations. This includes carrying out assessments to establish which groups will benefit from, or be damaged by, these changes.

"We are reminding public bodies of their obligations, and will offer support to make the process of assessing the impact on different groups of people more streamlined and effective."'

now say that as a haiku

"and we are determined that these cuts shouldn't undo the valuable gains that have been made in relation to equality and human rights over recent years."

now say that as a haiku

Country is too poor

Value people no longer

Financially broke.

So are we too poor to have human rights? Globalisation! Yay!

Edited by SarahBell

Which is why my belief is that ALL public sector jobs should be paid a NET wage - what is the point of paying someone money from tax receipts and then taking it back in tax?

Don't start me on tax credits!

If the public sector people are only paid a net wage it will make them insensitive to tax rises felt by the private sector. At least this way when people are taxed more its also directly and quickly reflected in their pay packet too.

3 million so-called 'non-jobs' become non-consumers, claim benefits and cease paying income tax.

They never were paying genuine income tax (i.e. a cut of new wealth created in the economy) in the first place. Their income tax was simply money from the public pot being recycled back into the public pot, and being eroded by expensive bureaucracy in the process.

It'll be cheaper to pay them jobseekers' allowance than £30-60k a year.

They never were paying genuine income tax (i.e. a cut of new wealth created in the economy) in the first place. Their income tax was simply money from the public pot being recycled back into the public pot, and being eroded by expensive bureaucracy in the process.

It'll be cheaper to pay them jobseekers' allowance than £30-60k a year.

Firstly it is a complete and utter myth to suggest that those sort of wages are commonplace in the public sector, a typical wage is 18-19k depending on grade and that is after many years of service. Secondly I've seen countless people leave the public sector and succesfully enter the private sector on similiar pay without anywhere near the responsibility they had in public sector. They are more than capable of carrying out 'real jobs' and are often much, much happier and certainly a lot less stressed out. They also regain their confidence which dissapears once they become institutionalised in a govt department.

Generally the only thing they miss about the public sector is flexitime and leave which isn't a god given right in every department. A lot of private companies now offer similiar leave due to EU law anyway. I think the majority of people here don't realise just how much they have been manipulated by the media and govt as to what it's really like in public sector nowadays. There are probably a minority of departments that are still stuck in the past but generally it bears absolutely no resemblence to what I keep hearing in the media. I cannot believe that people on this site of all places could be so gullible. Wise up people, if you don't believe me then try it.

Lastly, what makes you think they will all end up on jobseekers? There are a lot of highly intelligent, creative and highly employable people in public sector and it's extremely offensive to suggest that they are just cannon fodder.

There are 10 people in a community and they each earn 18 grand.

One of them hasn't got a job.

The other 9 say 'we'll each pay 2k tax so we can pay you 18k to devise an equality policy we can all live under'.

Or, they say, we'll each pay £200 tax and give it to you so you don't starve.

...and probably get tax work and / or child credit ...what an expensive merry-go-round..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Firstly it is a complete and utter myth to suggest that those sort of wages are commonplace in the public sector, a typical wage is 18-19k depending on grade and that is after many years of service. Secondly I've seen countless people leave the public sector and succesfully enter the private sector on similiar pay without anywhere near the responsibility they had in public sector. They are more than capable of carrying out 'real jobs' and are often much, much happier and certainly a lot less stressed out. They also regain their confidence which dissapears once they become institutionalised in a govt department.

Generally the only thing they miss about the public sector is flexitime and leave which isn't a god given right in every department. A lot of private companies now offer similiar leave due to EU law anyway. I think the majority of people here don't realise just how much they have been manipulated by the media and govt as to what it's really like in public sector nowadays. There are probably a minority of departments that are still stuck in the past but generally it bears absolutely no resemblence to what I keep hearing in the media. I cannot believe that people on this site of all places could be so gullible. Wise up people, if you don't believe me then try it.

Lastly, what makes you think they will all end up on jobseekers? There are a lot of highly intelligent, creative and highly employable people in public sector and it's extremely offensive to suggest that they are just cannon fodder.

Your wasting time replying to these threads.

Just note the times at which many of the public sector haters make their posts and you will see half of them can't be the thrusting private sector entrepreneurs that they purport to be since they clearly spend an inordinate amount of the working day on here.

Spot on. Public sector wages have faired better recently, but pales into insignificance against everything else. Upon being slowly institutionalised into a govt department myself, I can't wait to return to the private sector upon first opportunity. Problem is, private sector opportunity around here is near zero.

Edited by PopGun

Firstly it is a complete and utter myth to suggest that those sort of wages are commonplace in the public sector, a typical wage is 18-19k depending on grade and that is after many years of service.

Actually, BBC Wales had a table on last night's news showing the wages in Wales for the public sector and the middle group, salaries over 30K to 50K, and the top group, 50K to 97K, when combined were about three-quarters of the table thereby showing it is a myth, in Wales anyhow, that so many are so lowly paid in the public sector.

The item stated that it was from the top salary group that jobs need to be cut. BBC journos voting for redundancy then?