House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Down 0.6%---Merged

HOLA441

Up 6.3% YoY. At this rate we should see some YoY negative long before winter sets in.

Two triggers needed for real action to the downside: jobs and IR/credit restrictions.

As of now, IR look set to continue low due to enormous deflationary pressures ( <_< ) but credit does seem to be tightening as we are not seeing much in the way of 100%/120% SI loans that FTBs need to get the chains moving. As for jobs--its a slow process and this is the big lagger when it comes to impacting the market.

Bottom line, its been delayed again and we might see a moderate YoY negative this year of around 5% with the decent drops coming in 2011. What a drag it is waking up to see things are not much different today from yesterday.

Edited by Realistbear

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

They simply will not accept the fact that markets rise AND fall. HPI is still seen as the god to be worshipped in this country and a reduction is prices will simply not be accepted--only less gains:

hahaha the sheer chutzpah of it, thats the funniest thing ive ever read on this site

11/10 for sheer effrontery

HOLA447
HOLA448

Daily Express readers should be keeping the Samaritans busy today. The Express's Editor has wisely shielded his readers from the truth on house prices, so predictably there is absolutely no mention of the Halifax figures. However he has made the gaffe of revealing that gay foreigners are now entitled to assylum in UK. This news will push 1000s more over the edge of the abyss of insanity.

Edited by ingermany

HOLA449

Daily Express readers should be keeping the Samaritans busy today. The Express's Editor has wisely shielded his readers from the truth on house prices,

Since it was printed 10 - 12 hours before the Halifax press release, it would have been a good guess. Wait til tomorrow.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Daily Express readers should be keeping the Samaritans busy today. The Express's Editor has wisely shielded his readers from the truth on house prices, so predictably there is absolutely no mention of the Halifax figures. However he has made the gaffe of revealing that gay foreigners are now entitled to assylum in UK. This news will push 1000s more over the edge of the abyss of insanity.

"House prices will never fall here because of the upwardly mobile Malawian gay asylum seekers"

HOLA4412

I am not sure this is going to have a material impact on UK share prices - yet.

£, on the other hand, is ticking lower against both $ and Euro after this news.

Edit: should have said UNEXPECTD news, lol

A lower pound should boost share prices.

Plus, a falling housing market makes further 'economic support' (i.e. printing money) more likely, making shares look like a good bet.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

A lower pound should boost share prices.

Plus, a falling housing market makes further 'economic support' (i.e. printing money) more likely, making shares look like a good bet.

Most FTSE are international - so £ down, means price up (except like of Argos etc which is UK focus).

BBC2 programe on how to live through the tough time on tuesday was a good one. Most people didn't really feel a recession as long as they kept thier job

due to sharp drop in mortage payment. If they have upgrade their lifestyle with the extra cash, it would be a real pain to try to downgrade again. Also,

CPI are on the rise strongly. Looks like we have a recession that never look like one, and a recovery that will feel like a recession.

There will be far less money available to bid up HP

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Mr Oil

PS - it does feel rather good though doesn't it. I've hated being so very wrong for months. perhaps the missus will start to forgive me for putting her in rented soon... christian louboutins haven't covered it....

I hear ya, the wife has become unbearably (no pun) bullish and desperate in the wake of this over-long false recovery. I've taken great pleasure in e-mailing the recent Halifax & LR reports to her: "See! They were all wrong; your family, the fecking EAs and your financially illiterate friends"....

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I don't doubt your figures as I added up the column of negatives and positives and came to 4.9% myself but how do the halifax get their 6.3% figure when then own figures show a year on year figure of 4.9%?

Hfax use a 3 month average, I think, so presumably they are comparing average of april, may, june with the same from 09

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Well if the projected 13% falls we've got left are anything like the 23% falls we've supposedly had already, I might as well give up all hope of ever owning a home right now.

That chart comparing house prices to RPI isn't all that helpful. If your food shopping doubles in price that makes that chart show a "real" house price fall, but doesn't help you buy a house.

Don't worry though, these ridiculous house prices won't last forever: they could last a few years yet though.