House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Know The Situation With Xbox Red Rings?

HOLA441

I turned my xbox on tonight and about 20 minutes into a game the screen just froze - I have the 3 red rings intermittenly.

Have upnlugged all cables and hard drive, left it, but whenever I reboot I either one red ring or three.

I have never registered the box with Microsoft but play on xbox live. I bought the box in October 2007 so am I right in thinking it is guaranteed for 3 years? I have the receipt.

Anyone any experience of getting one of these replaced?

Thanks.

HOLA442

It's buggered I'm afraid. Same thing happened to mine and I got a replacement. Microsoft upped the warranties to 3 years as they had so many problems with this. It's also called, rather dramatically "The red rings of doom/death" and the net is awash with info on it and the bloggings of livid people who's bit of kit turned into a paperweight for no reason.

They should replace it for you with no qualms as long as you have the warranty that came with it.

HOLA443

It's buggered I'm afraid. Same thing happened to mine and I got a replacement. Microsoft upped the warranties to 3 years as they had so many problems with this. It's also called, rather dramatically "The red rings of doom/death" and the net is awash with info on it and the bloggings of livid people who's bit of kit turned into a paperweight for no reason.

They should replace it for you with no qualms as long as you have the warranty that came with it.

Thanks. Yes, juts begun the online process. I have the xbox elite, the black one, do you know if I am supposed to remove the face plat from it? The email MS has sent to me says it is for the xbox 360 console only which I believe is the white xbox?

HOLA444

Thanks. Yes, juts begun the online process. I have the xbox elite, the black one, do you know if I am supposed to remove the face plat from it? The email MS has sent to me says it is for the xbox 360 console only which I believe is the white xbox?

Dunno MT, although techincally isn't the Elite still part of the generic Xbox360 range? If in doubt I wouldn't tamper with it until you know for sure just in case you void the warranty.

Good 'ol RROD, my previous Xbox had the same issue but I bought it second-hand and its warranty had expired. D'oh.

HOLA445

Seems you can't win - look what this guy went through.

If you send it with the faceplate, don't expect to get the same one back.

The first time I sent my Premium Launch model off, it came back with a faceplate without the spring loaded USB panel.

The second time I sent my Premium Launch model off, I removed the faceplate, and when it came back I had a letter saying it had been tampered with and refused repair .... (complained loads) ... sent off again, came back all repaired (took +20 days to get sort inc. repair) They claimed I had damaged the console when removing the faceplate.

HOLA446

I've had this issue twice. Once in the UK and again in NZ. Its buggered i'm afraid.

Both times Microsoft dealt with it swiftly (turnaround within 3 weeks). Take the hard disk out and send it off. I sent it with face plate. Wrap it up well.

They replaced the unit first time round (I'm guessing the initial lunch units were all broken from the outset) and repaired it the second time.

HOLA447

I've had this issue twice. Once in the UK and again in NZ. Its buggered i'm afraid.

Both times Microsoft dealt with it swiftly (turnaround within 3 weeks). Take the hard disk out and send it off. I sent it with face plate. Wrap it up well.

They replaced the unit first time round (I'm guessing the initial lunch units were all broken from the outset) and repaired it the second time.

Thanks for the faceplate info.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Correct but I'll elaborate.

1) Go to Microsofts Xbox website and there is a link for support for knackered Xbox's

2) Fill in details. They know when you purchased and if it's less than 3 years they will direct you to DHLs website (or some courier, not important).

3) Arrange a pick up

4) Xbox arrives in Germany for repair within 2 days.

5) Xbox arrives back at your house in 7-10 days fully serviced with a months free Xbox live subscription, courier bill picked up by MS.

The only thing that's missing is a blow job from Megan Fox.

I have friends that can't be arsed doing this and instead spend £300 on an Elite, despite telling them the exact same thing I've said above.

HOLA4410

Correct but I'll elaborate.

1) Go to Microsofts Xbox website and there is a link for support for knackered Xbox's

2) Fill in details. They know when you purchased and if it's less than 3 years they will direct you to DHLs website (or some courier, not important).

3) Arrange a pick up

4) Xbox arrives in Germany for repair within 2 days.

5) Xbox arrives back at your house in 7-10 days fully serviced with a months free Xbox live subscription, courier bill picked up by MS.

The only thing that's missing is a blow job from Megan Fox.

I have friends that can't be arsed doing this and instead spend £300 on an Elite, despite telling them the exact same thing I've said above.

I have an elite. It is buggered. Do I remove the faceplate from it? This is unclear as the email says remove the faceplate from the xbox 360 only... but isn't mine an xbox 360 elite.

HOLA4411

I have an elite. It is buggered. Do I remove the faceplate from it? This is unclear as the email says remove the faceplate from the xbox 360 only... but isn't mine an xbox 360 elite.

I just removed the HDD. Didn't faff around with faceplates.

HOLA4412

Archived