House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evictee

The Only General Electron Thread

Has anyone here had any joy getting hold of a Visa Electron card recently? I've decided it's high time to impress some personal austerity upon some the airline industry's sharper practitioners. Sites proclaiming expertise in money saving appear full of dated and contradictory waffle on this subject so please excuse this topic's offness but I need to apply the hard-nosed economic expertise of House Price Crashers to this pressing matter. Many thanks.

I opened an a/c at Halifax purely to get said card. Good for other airlines but Ryanair now charge for them (you have to use a pre-paid Mastercard card to get zero booking charge).

It's called a cashcard a/c that you can administer online but you get no chequebook and you can't use counter services. It's designed for U18s & those with poor credit history. They looked surprised I wanted one until I outlined the reasons of online charges.

I opened an a/c at Halifax purely to get said card. Good for other airlines but Ryanair now charge for them (you have to use a pre-paid Mastercard card to get zero booking charge).

It's called a cashcard a/c that you can administer online but you get no chequebook and you can't use counter services. It's designed for U18s & those with poor credit history. They looked surprised I wanted one until I outlined the reasons of online charges.

Thanks. I'll give Halifax a go then. How long ago did you get yours may I ask?

One slight concern is whether opening an account designed for people with poor credit ratings may be something of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Thanks. I'll give Halifax a go then. How long ago did you get yours may I ask?

May 2009. I was wrong about the title - it's the "Easycash" a/c. Debit card came through quickly enough and you can credit the a/c on-line or through their deposit slots in the branches.

You get no interest but the a/c is free. It's a sort of top-up card I suppose. I also use it for paypal on ebay because you have no overdraft facility so any fraudulent activity will not get much. I leave very little in it, but I can credit the a/c instantaneously online if I want to buy a flight etc.

May 2009. I was wrong about the title - it's the "Easycash" a/c. Debit card came through quickly enough and you can credit the a/c on-line or through their deposit slots in the branches.

That sounds just the ticket. Cheers for that, I owe you one.

I don't... :huh:

I was just having a little pop at the moderators' ill-advised and spectacularly unsuccessful attempt to restrict general election chat to a single thread.

I was just having a little pop at the moderators' ill-advised and spectacularly unsuccessful attempt to restrict general election chat to a single thread.

Too subtle for me... :)

Not really. It seemed to work pretty well on the whole, once people understood. By contrast, look at the absurd number of world cup threads a couple of weeks back: it might have been useful to apply the same measure there and avoid having the first page taken up by a large number of threads on the same topic.

BTW why do people find it necessary to take a pop at the mods continually? Sad and pointless really. Just ordinary chaps doing ordinary thankless task without which the board wouldn't operate.

BTW why do people find it necessary to take a pop at the mods continually? Sad and pointless really. Just ordinary chaps doing ordinary thankless task without which the board wouldn't operate.

+1

They get a bit silly sometimes, but well, they're human.

I've only had one post removed - it jokingly suggested that the womenfolk on this forum were probably all mingers, I suspect that mod was a woman!