House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowflux

New Eu Law Leaves Health Food Marketeers Spluttering

EU health food claims law begins to bite

Health foods would be be nothing without the claims they make on the packaging.

But some claims might soon vanish, due to a European regulation which demands that health food companies come up with the scientific evidence to back their labelling.

The regulation extends to a vast range of products - from multi-vitamins and slimming pills to margarine and yoghurt.

Of the claims so far considered, the overwhelming majority have been rejected, leaving many health food manufacturers with a very bad case of indigestion.

Probiotics scrutinised

The Nutrition and Health Claims Regulation was adopted back in 2006 "to ensure that consumers are not misled by unsubstantiated, exaggerated or untruthful claims about foodstuffs", but it is only now that it is beginning to bite.

European Union member states have together submitted over 44,000 'general function' health claims on the part of manufacturers. These were boiled down to 4,637 claims for consideration by the Parma-based European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Of around 900 claims so far examined, a massive 80% have been rejected.

Seems like a reasonable law to me. Why should food manufacturers be allowed to lie about their products? Loads of people believe what they read on food packaging. They're going get a surprise when the claims start to vanish, but I dare say the marketeers will come up with some sort of weasel wording to edge around the law.

There was some product advertised on the TV, whose major claim was that it contained "fucus"!

That put me right off! :blink:

Guest X-QUORK

Good news for the rational thinking. Now we need something similar for all the alternative medicines.

Guest Skinty

but I dare say the marketeers will come up with some sort of weasel wording to edge around the law.

... this product may have the following health benefits ...

Seems like a reasonable law to me.

Jeez the HPC nutjobs will have a field day with you mate. In favour of regulation and by the EU? I'm surprised they haven't all been posting like mad already. Must be watching Homes under the Hammer on the telly and they are all going red faced at why they can't afford anywhere despite working in McDonalds and having 5 stars. :D