House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Limpet

Digital Tv

I`m totally peed off with the quality of digital TV reception. I realise it`s largely due to the amount of traffic ( particularly motorbikes and busses )but I`m just sick of the picture freezing, and sound dropping out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of who to complain to. I feel like venting my spleen.

Thanks in advance. :)

I`m totally peed off with the quality of digital TV reception. I realise it`s largely due to the amount of traffic ( particularly motorbikes and busses )but I`m just sick of the picture freezing, and sound dropping out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of who to complain to. I feel like venting my spleen.

The person who fitted your antenna.

Probably Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

That was quick, thanks.

errrrm.. that wouldn`t be rhyming slang would it? :rolleyes:

Digital TV should be reasonably free of interference. Looks as though you don't have enough signal. Does your freeview box give an indication of signal strength. Some MUX's are more powerful than others, for example where I live the BBC Mux is more powerful than say ITV.

Has analogue been turned off in your area yet? I understand that the digital broadcasts at Crystal Palace are running at only 20Kw and power will be increased massively when analogue is switched off.

The person who fitted your antenna.

Thought about that.

But it was lined up with a meter, and also the Humax box shows a signal strength of 100% most of the time and the quality varies between 80 and 100%.

It`s frustrating when you can hear a moped or motorbike in the distance and you know it`s going to make the picture break up as it gets closer. Sure enough thats exactly what happens.

The system looks to me like it`s basically shite and I can`t see DAB radio being any better.

Thought about that.

But it was lined up with a meter, and also the Humax box shows a signal strength of 100% most of the time and the quality varies between 80 and 100%.

It`s frustrating when you can hear a moped or motorbike in the distance and you know it`s going to make the picture break up as it gets closer. Sure enough thats exactly what happens.

The system looks to me like it`s basically shite and I can`t see DAB radio being any better.

you need a gun

Has analogue been turned off in your area yet? I understand that the digital broadcasts at Crystal Palace are running at only 20Kw and power will be increased massively when analogue is switched off.

I`ve no idea about that, I shall enquire.

It`s just a bit frustrating when the football is just a series of stills and the commentary sounds like it`s being provided by Norman Collier.

Although the stills part could have just been the England players

Shakes head; You need a new TV, aerial, cables and antenna. £2000. And probably a new roof.

Of course!!!!

How come you never think of the obvious :D

I am up in the NW, we were switched off last November..

Prior to change over the digital signal was quite weak and not all free view boxes would get a good signal suffering from the problems you describe.

After switch over they boosted the free view signal (given the bandwidth they had freed up) and the situation righted itself.

Sorry, but that is rubbish. This was the story in the South West to make people look forward to digital swicthover but when it happened there was a weaker signal and the minor channels became unwatchable.

Had to get somebody in to look at it, solutions were in order of importance:

i) cabling. Check co-ax connectors, if they have just been pushed on they will have oxidised. Take off, scrub with a wire brush and re-attach. It's best to solder them on.

ii) junction boxes / splitters. If there are any again check connectors. Maybe look at getting a booster there.

iii) Boosters. I have on both tellies. £10 from Argos.

iv) Aerial direction. Apparently it matters more with digital. It needs to be pointing exactly at the transmitter. Trial and error or map and compass.

v) Intra-box connections. Unplug and replug connections between compnenst to remove deposits.

Bit of a pain but once you have done it you forget you ever had feezing / break-up.

Get Freesat.

I am up in the NW, we were switched off last November..

Prior to change over the digital signal was quite weak and not all free view boxes would get a good signal suffering from the problems you describe.

After switch over they boosted the free view signal (given the bandwidth they had freed up) and the situation righted itself.

It must vary by region then. Without question it was worse after switchover in the SW. Maybe the terrain affects the signal.

Sorry, but that is rubbish. This was the story in the South West to make people look forward to digital swicthover but when it happened there was a weaker signal and the minor channels became unwatchable.

Had to get somebody in to look at it, solutions were in order of importance:

i) cabling. Check co-ax connectors, if they have just been pushed on they will have oxidised. Take off, scrub with a wire brush and re-attach. It's best to solder them on.

ii) junction boxes / splitters. If there are any again check connectors. Maybe look at getting a booster there.

iii) Boosters. I have on both tellies. £10 from Argos.

iv) Aerial direction. Apparently it matters more with digital. It needs to be pointing exactly at the transmitter. Trial and error or map and compass.

v) Intra-box connections. Unplug and replug connections between compnenst to remove deposits.

Bit of a pain but once you have done it you forget you ever had feezing / break-up.

Most of this is urban myth.

iii) Boosters from Argos is a classic. They will often worsen the problem.

v) There MIGHT be something in this advice if we were talking Hi-Fi, but I can`t say that I`ve ever found that "deposits" on connections cause any problem. Yes, if your aerial plug is rusty (due to water getting into the coaxial cable), rusty deposits are cause for concern. Slight oxidisation on an aerial plug will make hardly any difference, or no differenece.

iv) Believe it or not, aerial alignment doesn`t have to be exact, and in some situations the aerial needs to be pointed slightly away from the transmitter for best performance.

As far as picture breakup when vehicles pass nearby is concerned, it is often due to electromagnetic interference from ignition systems, or even things like electric drills, lawnmowers etc. There are a few steps to help solve this problem, but sometimes it is impossible to totally cure. I`d recommend fully screened coacxal cable, all the way from the aerial to the TV. Log Periodic aerials are supposed to be better at rejecting electrical interference, so it`s worth looking into getting one of those fitted if the problem is bad, but no aerial can be totally immune to interference from external sources.

The digital TV signal comprises of lots of binary data, transmitted at relatively low levels (the levels should increase onces digital switchover has taken place). A badly supressed ignition system "transmits" a dirty great chunk of "noise", which can destroy the data in a digital TV signal within a small radius.

Hope that helps.

A decent shielded aerial cable (say £30-ish) might help.

When I used to use my TV card on my old PC, it made a big difference to signal breakup. And that was before the council upgraded my communal aerial.

Most of this is urban myth.

v) There MIGHT be something in this advice if we were talking Hi-Fi, but I can`t say that I`ve ever found that "deposits" on connections cause any problem. Yes, if your aerial plug is rusty (due to water getting into the coaxial cable), rusty deposits are cause for concern. Slight oxidisation on an aerial plug will make hardly any difference, or no differenece.

iv) Believe it or not, aerial alignment doesn`t have to be exact, and in some situations the aerial needs to be pointed slightly away from the transmitter for best performance.

As far as picture breakup when vehicles pass nearby is concerned, it is often due to electromagnetic interference from ignition systems, or even things like electric drills, lawnmowers etc. There are a few steps to help solve this problem, but sometimes it is impossible to totally cure. I`d recommend fully screened coacxal cable, all the way from the aerial to the TV. Log Periodic aerials are supposed to be better at rejecting electrical interference, so it`s worth looking into getting one of those fitted if the problem is bad, but no aerial can be totally immune to interference from external sources.

The digital TV signal comprises of lots of binary data, transmitted at relatively low levels (the levels should increase onces digital switchover has taken place). A badly supressed ignition system "transmits" a dirty great chunk of "noise", which can destroy the data in a digital TV signal within a small radius.

Hope that helps.

Very much not my experience. I had one and tried it on both TVs. They both were substantially better on the weaker channels with the booster, which is why I bought two.

You can't beat basic empiricism.

I`ve no idea about that, I shall enquire.

It`s just a bit frustrating when the football is just a series of stills and the commentary sounds like it`s being provided by Norman Collier.

Although the stills part could have just been the England players

You'll probably find that the output power is being altered from the particular transmitter your antenna is directed at. It occurs all the time with my transmitter in particular with the mux that broadcasts ITV4 and Film4 although when you look up transmitter works on google, hey presto there is apparently no works or faults with my transmitter.

The problem is that most transmitters are still broadcasting analogue too and in my particular case the mux that causes problems for me has been reduced in power because otherwise it interferes with other RF signals/transmissions, so they keep pratting around with it which means a sudden loss of channels overnight. I have a friend who works as an TV antenna installer and he just doesn't want to know when he gets people phoning up saying they've lost ITV3 etc etc. There's not much he can do until the analogue signal is switched off and engineers stop pratting around with the digital broadcast.

An interesting quote I got from www.ukfree.tv:

This is the only schedule for digital switchover. Digital services cannot be introduced before the dates listed for "testing purposes" as they will generally use the same transmission frequencies as the services they replace. Another alternative, available today, is Freesat.

There's the excuse in bold I think

Thought about that.

Is the road in the same direction as the transmitter? You are suffering from too little signal and too much noise, and as you said you get enough signal, so it's the noise (from ignition systems and alternators). Can you get the aerial higher and/or the cable shorter? The previous advice about checking the cable connections is sound, btw. There is a large signal loss in coaxial cable, especially at the higher frequencies. Bad connections and sharp bends in the cable alter it's transmission qualities and need to be avoided. Sometimes over-vigorous stapling crushes the cable with similar deleterious effects.

I have a distribution amplifier in my loft - every TV outlet in the house is OK, except the one in the lounge, where the extra cable length means that I can't get the higher frequency transponders satisfactorily. They break up at the slightest signal path problem / rain / overflying aircraft, and I can even see the transmitter from next door's house (I'm in a bungalow).

Very much not my experience. I had one and tried it on both TVs. They both were substantially better on the weaker channels with the booster, which is why I bought two.

Problem is if the original signal is bad a simple booster wil only amplifier the noise. In most cases they will help a bit though. Main problem is usually the at aerial / feed.

Decent aerial / alignment usually fixes most problems. Some transmitters are at large distances away and still seem to require signal boosting though.

You also can`t beat 25+ years experience in the TV repair/ aerial installation trade.

Yes, the "magic" amplifier can sometimes do the trick, but I`ve been to so many customers who have been down to Argos for an amplifier, then called me in.

They work well for us.

and in some situations the aerial needs to be pointed slightly away from the transmitter for best performance.

Why on earth would that be ? a high gain antenna like a Yagi is going to give you max signal pointed straight at the transmitter.

Here (SE Wales) the digital quality has improved immeasurably since they switched off analogue - as you'd expect with the increased transmitter power.

They work well for us.

Why on earth would that be ? a high gain antenna like a Yagi is going to give you max signal pointed straight at the transmitter.

Presumably if you are too close to the antenna for the type of aerial and gain that it has.