House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
buyerbeware

Justlostmyjob

Was earing 10k a month and saving 5k.

now Zero

So you spent 5k a month on what ? Still you should have a tidy sum saved.

Were you a banker, an outreach lesbian diversity co-ordinator, or a hard working family?

We will not be able to select the appropriate degree of sympathy or contempt without knowing the specifics. Please elaborate.

10k a month is a lot though, so unless you are a bit mental with the plastic or married to a crack addict you shouldn't be destitute any time soon.

now Zero

And the point of this suspiciously troll-like thread is what exactly ? (Apart from bragging about your salary)

How about cutting back on your playboy lifestyle, putting your feet up and using some of your savings to live modestly for the next few years.

now Zero

Sorry to hear that. Unless it has happened to you, it is hard to imagine the feeling. It is going to be difficult , but not impossible. I have been through this and managed to start again - hoping not to be a second time, but self employed and the employer this time. More worried about whether I can keep my people just now. Things will get better. What was your job? Depends on age, experience and expectations, but can you start self employed from home? You had a much higher than av salary, so presume you have some sought after skills.

Are you an engineering or IT contractor? Or a GP?

If so, can you let us know where you were let go from, type of industry, location? Were you the only one or amongst a bunch of others.

Sory to hear about your news but it would help us get idea of where the economy is going if you can give us more info.

If you are genuine then you are one of many thousands to come.

In the past I have heard many times from certain people that my job is safe only to observe the terrible shock to them when they learn this is not so.

I even witnessed a senior Tax Inspector who was shown the door in 2001 and was in a state of shock. :blink:

Many on this Forum will find out in their employment that suddenly their job has gone.

I predict by Q4 2011 that we will reach 3 million unemployed and the Con/Lib Coalition will head for the buffers.

Nick Clegg will drive the political train head first into the buffers, why, the man is a complete winkle. ;)

If you are genuine then you are one of many thousands to come.

In the past I have heard many times from certain people that my job is safe only to observe the terrible shock to them when they learn this is not so.

I even witnessed a senior Tax Inspector who was shown the door in 2001 and was in a state of shock. :blink:

Many on this Forum will find out in their employment that suddenly their job has gone.

I predict by Q4 2011 that we will reach 3 million unemployed and the Con/Lib Coalition will head for the buffers.

Nick Clegg will drive the political train head first into the buffers, why, the man is a complete winkle. ;)

I'm self-employed and my job just withered away to almost nothing over the last year. For a while it was nice having all the spare time, but now the 'redundant miner syndrome' is beginning to kick in, where one loses the motivation to do anything. There's no point in going out to drum up more business as it ain't there any more. Diversification is the name of the game, but unfortunately I don't own 5 acres of land that I can turn into a quad-bike course or anything like that!!

I predict by Q4 2011 that we will reach 3 million unemployed and the Con/Lib Coalition will head for the buffers
I think the coalition government might come unstuck. At the moment I still buy into their "dire economic emergency" story and that Labour left them no choice but to make all the cuts. But in a year's time it will be more difficult to keep blaming Labour, even if it is still their fault.

The worrying thing is that if the coalition fails, what's the alternative? Labour won't be out of rehab by then. I think we could see a polarisation of politics - with a rise in the hard left along with a resurgence of the trade union movement and a rise in the far right too.

Edited by blankster

I'm self-employed and my job just withered away to almost nothing over the last year. For a while it was nice having all the spare time, but now the 'redundant miner syndrome' is beginning to kick in, where one loses the motivation to do anything. There's no point in going out to drum up more business as it ain't there any more. Diversification is the name of the game, but unfortunately I don't own 5 acres of land that I can turn into a quad-bike course or anything like that!!

more detail please........

Tax, mostly. If the 5k saved wasn't going into something tax-efficient.

I assumed that the 10k was net of tax , so was asking what he spent the 5k on , that did not get saved.

I even witnessed a senior Tax Inspector who was shown the door in 2001 and was in a state of shock.

Could be a clue there into our present state.

Tax Inspector...Real Estate Division... You're Fired!

Sorry to hear that. Unless it has happened to you, it is hard to imagine the feeling. It is going to be difficult , but not impossible. I have been through this and managed to start again - hoping not to be a second time, but self employed and the employer this time. More worried about whether I can keep my people just now. Things will get better. What was your job? Depends on age, experience and expectations, but can you start self employed from home? You had a much higher than av salary, so presume you have some sought after skills.

Makes me feel so much better about my job going to India......I dropped to zero from a far lower level. Almost painless

that is exactly my recent experience too. i have been doing a lot of gardening, but the garden doesn't look radically different. filling time is sometimes not easy...

if it's any consolation i was pondering on how some of my friends have fared over the last 6 months or so. here are a fairly representative 10 of them...

1) regional manager, large chain. just made redundant

2) temp worker since redundancy 18 months ago. contract just ended, back on dole

3) self employed, sound tech. no contracts

4) local council worker. down to 3 day week

5) car sales. made redundant 4 months ago

6) local council worker. unaffected as yet

7) self employed, corporate events and ents. almost no work - odd jobbing to pay mortgage

8) installation engineer. unaffected

9) social services. unaffected

10) musician, never worked, on DLA... could live on nettles and ideals indefinitely. recession proof

it seems noone is doing anything, and everyone is talking about that fact. i have a sniff of a new, small contract in about 5-6 weeks, which will stop me spending the very last of my savings, if it happens

strange times

that is exactly my recent experience too. i have been doing a lot of gardening, but the garden doesn't look radically different. filling time is sometimes not easy...

if it's any consolation i was pondering on how some of my friends have fared over the last 6 months or so. here are a fairly representative 10 of them...

1) regional manager, large chain. just made redundant

2) temp worker since redundancy 18 months ago. contract just ended, back on dole

3) self employed, sound tech. no contracts

4) local council worker. down to 3 day week

5) car sales. made redundant 4 months ago

6) local council worker. unaffected as yet

7) self employed, corporate events and ents. almost no work - odd jobbing to pay mortgage

8) installation engineer. unaffected

9) social services. unaffected

10) musician, never worked, on DLA... could live on nettles and ideals indefinitely. recession proof

it seems noone is doing anything, and everyone is talking about that fact. i have a sniff of a new, small contract in about 5-6 weeks, which will stop me spending the very last of my savings, if it happens

strange times

What part of the country?