House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Emergency Legislation To Cap Civil Servants Redundancy Payments

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7874285/Civil-servants-redundancy-pay-to-be-capped-as-soon-as-possible.html

Civil servants redundancy pay to be capped 'as soon as possible'
Legislation is to be introduced as soon as possible to cap redundancy payments to civil servants, the Government announced today.
Published: 10:14AM BST 06 Jul 2010
Unions have promised to fight the limits on their redundancy pay Photo: JULIAN SIMMONDS
Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude said the decision to legislate had been taken ''with reluctance'', adding that it had become necessary because of the current economic climate.

I am beginning to think the Koalishon are serious about this austerity and cutback thing. If they are about to cull 100s of thousands of "piggy at the trough" non-productive jobs that Brown created to fund his HPI miracle then it makes sense to cap the redundancy they will receive in advance.

The Tories must be getting positive feedback from their focus groups for being 'tough' on the public sector.

The focus groups probably over represent HPC current posters.

This will continue until the realisation dawns that the Tories are going to do similar to every section of the community except the rich.

The media's sustained campaign of villifying the public sector as a whole has borne fruit.

While the Civil Service is being hammered, I see that the Health Secretary has ruled out reorganisation of the NHS.

(Keep your fancy cars, boys, we know you are on our side.)

So ring fencing starts to look more sinister, as NHS Trusts with their self-selecting management look more like private fiefdoms.

The Tories must be getting positive feedback from their focus groups for being 'tough' on the public sector.

The focus groups probably over represent HPC current posters.

This will continue until the realisation dawns that the Tories are going to do similar to every section of the community except the rich.

The media's sustained campaign of villifying the public sector as a whole has borne fruit.

While the Civil Service is being hammered, I see that the Health Secretary has ruled out reorganisation of the NHS.

(Keep your fancy cars, boys, we know you are on our side.)

So ring fencing starts to look more sinister, as NHS Trusts with their self-selecting management look more like private fiefdoms.

If this can be done for civil servants, why couldn't it be done for certain bankers?

If this can be done for civil servants, why couldn't it be done for certain bankers?

Not too late surely, in fairness.

The Labour payroll vote is about to discover the price of not winning the election. B)

There are no votes to be lost for the Tories here because quangocrates only really had one role - to deliver votes to Labour - and they failed.

Cull them all. :P

RB, is it at all possible for you to read the enormously long thread on this already? :rolleyes:

Indeed. I think this one takes it slightly further as they are talking about getting legislation rushed through to beat the cull no doubt. I would be all in favour if the Mods merged the threads TBH. :)

This is interesting though. A HUGE step by the government and not a peep from the millions of civil servants other than a few minor headlines. Surely the strikes will be rampant before winter sets in causing utter chaos. I would lighten up on Sterling and FTSE stocks ahead of a severe winter of discontent.

Indeed. I think this one takes it slightly further as they are talking about getting legislation rushed through to beat the cull no doubt. I would be all in favour if the Mods merged the threads TBH. :)

This is interesting though. A HUGE step by the government and not a peep from the millions of civil servants other than a few minor headlines. Surely the strikes will be rampant before winter sets in causing utter chaos. I would lighten up on Sterling and FTSE stocks ahead of a severe winter of discontent.

Yes, and we have discussed this all in the other thread. :rolleyes:

As with all things, it is going to take time for the penny to drop with the public sector. Bear in mind that this only affect half a million civil servants and not the public sector generally... so not your local council, schools, hospitals, etc.

The Francis Maude who is so keen to reign in Civil Servants redundancy pay would not be the same Francis Maude who claimed £35000 in mortgage interest payments for a second home only yards from his main residence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5304772/Francis-Maude-claimed-for-second-London-home-MPs-expenses.html

I think we should be told

We will all be paying way over the odds for bin collection once thats been privatised due to mass strikes. I wouldn't want a Public sector job in a million yrs after this. Thankless task, poor pay, no job security or training and investment. I suspect we will all be paying way over the odds for the private sector to carry out these services in the future because noone with any sense will want whats on offer.

Sounds like the private sector to me.

Yes and this is the price we all pay for progress. Disgusting that this is the yr 2010, more like 1910, apart from the iphone, internet and microwave ovens, just what have we all worked ourselves into the ground for in the last 50 yrs?

The rush to cut the public sector has something of a political purge to it.

has to be done inside the 1st year otherwise it will never get done at all, so yes, and for good reason

John Major said the first year in government for DC would represent a one off opportunity, after that the govt won't have the public's good will

What do you call a dammed Quan(go)

A pool of tears!

eilEEn is the "lady in the lake"

Yes and this is the price we all pay for progress. Disgusting that this is the yr 2010, more like 1910, apart from the iphone, internet and microwave ovens, just what have we all worked ourselves into the ground for in the last 50 yrs?

To make the rich richer

To make the rich richer

Was a tory govt ever going to do anything else ?

The public sector will suffer severe cuts and working conditions and pay in the private sector will deteriorate in order to fatten the already fat cats.

The sad thing is a lot of posters on this site are cheering the early cuts. Will they still be cheering when its their turn ? We'll see. . . .

Don't forget 'We're all in this together.'

Was a tory govt ever going to do anything else ?

No the pity is that the labour pile of sh-t did the same , however they looked after those at the very bottom if they had kids. The people in the middle paid and they will pay again with maybe those at the very bottom as well .