House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Would You Take Your Onions Back?

Ignore all that quantum theory stuff.... Hypothetical question.

Man buys 3 onions in the Co-Op for £1.10 sealed in a a nice plastic net.

Man drives home 2 miles with onions. Following day man cuts open one onion with grandiose plan to make an onion and mushroom omellete. Said onion is black on the inside and gunky. Sell by date a week away.

Does man:

1. Shrug shoulders and put it down to life.

2. Slice open the remaining two onions to see if they too are gunky - man will not be using these onions for 2 more days.

3. Get in car, drive 2 miles (It is up a steep hill and said man has asthma) and complain in order to get a refund or some new onions. Does the cost in time and diesel outweight the price of replacing the onion? What if the other two onions are rotten.

4. Why don't we hear Stargate and Carl Sagan talk more about this kind of stuff? Well, not Sagan as he now is truly Cosmic!

What I am trying to garner, is at what point do you complain and at what point do you shrug your shoulders and put things down to life?

Sometimes you have to accept things.

People who struggle with this just get stressed out and die young.

I am generally a very passive person. Problem is, I am so passive that I let many things in my life get out of order.....

Guest theboltonfury

It's all you deserve for choosing the Co-Op to buy your provisions.

Ignore all that quantum theory stuff.... Hypothetical question.

Man buys 3 onions in the Co-Op for £1.10 sealed in a a nice plastic net.

Man drives home 2 miles with onions. Following day man cuts open one onion with grandiose plan to make an onion and mushroom omellete. Said onion is black on the inside and gunky. Sell by date a week away.

Does man:

1. Shrug shoulders and put it down to life.

2. Slice open the remaining two onions to see if they too are gunky - man will not be using these onions for 2 more days.

3. Get in car, drive 2 miles (It is up a steep hill and said man has asthma) and complain in order to get a refund or some new onions. Does the cost in time and diesel outweight the price of replacing the onion? What if the other two onions are rotten.

4. Why don't we hear Stargate and Carl Sagan talk more about this kind of stuff? Well, not Sagan as he now is truly Cosmic!

What I am trying to garner, is at what point do you complain and at what point do you shrug your shoulders and put things down to life?

Definitely take them back, and go somewhere else next time.

They are 55p in Waitrose, £1 in Sainsburys, 97p in Asda and 79p in Tesco.

This is a true story...I will not name the supermarket, there was a special offer on some rump steak, looked ok and as a special occasion bought two pieces in a poly tray with plastic film over, you know the kind....well after grilling it with some nice mushrooms onions and sauteed potatoes, the scene was set....but the whole experience was ruined the steak was like old boots, tough gristle and sinew.....so all the chewed bits went into a plastic bag with the price label that was fished out of the bin, back the next day to customer services for refund. ;)

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Got 2 onions and one was rotten. Didn't bother taking back. If it had been a whole pack yes I would have. Now mine were from Scotmid - which I think is Co-Op owned. I think they may have an onion problem....

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Got 2 onions and one was rotten. Didn't bother taking back. If it had been a whole pack yes I would have. Now mine were from Scotmid - which I think is Co-Op owned. I think they may have an onion problem....

This is the power of thev net... Actually, my onions were from Somerfield but the label says Co-Op. This could be bigger than both of us.

Guest theboltonfury

This is the power of thev net... Actually, my onions were from Somerfield but the label says Co-Op. This could be bigger than both of us.

Could be one for Roger Cook.

Try this:

Throw the bad Onion in the bin. Use one of the others. If they are all bad, bin them. Make something else to eat.

Next time you are at the CO-OP (no special trip) politely explain to a friendly looking member of staff what happened. I BET you they let you have some more Onions because they are decent people, without seeing the original Onions (maybe a receipt, but try without it).

If it happens, smile, think - ahh people aren't so bad after all.

If they tell you to go spin on your **** ... or just to go away. ..... let me know!

Mmm, loose white onions - 'normal' size ?

Roger Cook it is.

Just did a google. Seems India has had issues with Onions this year. They can rot due to extreme heat. And what would you know - the last month in the UK has been very warm and sunny almost non stop...

By jove I think I have solved it !!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/Rotting-onions-may-push-up-prices-/articleshow/6052095.cms

Guest theboltonfury

Try this:

Throw the bad Onion in the bin. Use one of the others. If they are all bad, bin them. Make something else to eat.

Next time you are at the CO-OP (no special trip) politely explain to a friendly looking member of staff what happened. I BET you they let you have some more Onions because they are decent people, without seeing the original Onions (maybe a receipt, but try without it).

If it happens, smile, think - ahh people aren't so bad after all.

If they tell you to go spin on your **** ... or just to go away. ..... let me know!

When in a Co-Op, be prepared to queue for at least 25 minutes before you get to speak to anyone. Then you will find that the attendant is in fact slightly thicker than Jade Goody's much thicker sister.

Guest theboltonfury

Mmm, loose white onions - 'normal' size ?

Roger Cook it is.

Just did a google. Seems India has had issues with Onions this year. They can rot due to extreme heat. And what would you know - the last month in the UK has been very warm and sunny almost non stop...

By jove I think I have solved it !!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/Rotting-onions-may-push-up-prices-/articleshow/6052095.cms

I can see the headline in The Mail.

'Nasty brown onions in bid to displace our hero white onions'

When in a Co-Op, be prepared to queue for at least 25 minutes before you get to speak to anyone. Then you will find that the attendant is in fact slightly thicker than Jade Goody's much thicker sister.

No. Naughty.

<slap on wrist>

.... let him try it first . I bet I'm right.

I sense I have hit the nerve of the nation.

All this nonsense about public sectors workers having to work for a living and some malaried singer are nothing when it comes to rotten onions.

Ah, the young of today. Don't know yer born!

The very idea of making a fuss over something as trivial as that is the very stuff of an over-rich, over-bloated society.

OTOH, if the shop were just next door and open when you discovered the problem, that could be a different issue.

------

Slightly different case: You’re at the supermarket. You get to the checkout, and pay. You look at your bill and find you’ve been overcharged, by some trivial amount. Do you let it pass, or stand on a point of principle?

Related questions: do you take advantage of regular offers, such as buy several of something and get a discount? Do you buy some items purely on price, because you don’t see the difference between different brands? If you answered yes to either of those, you need to stand on principle when the discrepancy at the checkout wipes out your saving, not so much for your own pocket as to do something about market distortion between competing brands.

Not sure about co-op but the friendly bods at Waitrose have an excellent return policy. Next time you are there you can mention the problem and they will fully refund the item AND give you a replacement new one. No receipt needed, and no faulty goods. All done on trust.

As far as multibuys goes, I was once in the local Tesco and they had some nice fruit juice on offer. Can't remember the exact figures but it was roughly £1.80 for one, or buy 2 for £4.00. Saw one person at the checkout with some and indeed they scanned as a multibuy. Makes you wonder if supermarkets actually do this intentionally sometimes...

I only have my usual miser's advice (and it's not a direct solution to the problem, but more a possible future approach)...

I buy a monster bag of cheap onions from Asda for about 70 or 80p. Out of the couple of dozen (albeit smallish) onions in the bag, it's not uncommon for one (or maybe even two) to be inedible (although to be fair to Asda, mostly they're all fine). At that price, I just chuck the bad ones away and grab another one.

If you are a military veteran with a valuable house the Mail will pay you for this story

'War Hero calls cops as he cops out in Co-op cop-out Onion shocker'

"Standing in front of his £350,000 house, legless Falklands veteran Reg Labia said " I never cried in combat, but those rotten onions - on my small pension - made me weep..."

If you are a military veteran with a valuable house the Mail will pay you for this story

'War Hero calls cops as he cops out in Co-op cop-out Onion shocker'

"Standing in front of his £350,000 house, legless Falklands veteran Reg Labia said " I never cried in combat, but those rotten onions - on my small pension - made me weep..."

Have you noticed onions rarely make you weep anymore....more weak and watery than they used to be. ;)

Technically you can under the sales of goods act 79, they also may be injurious to health and that could constitute an offence under the general food regulations :lol:

Seems common for onions to be like this of late. I would say around 10 -15% of all onions I buy are afflicted with the rotten inner core problem. I cant remember it being this bad, ever.