House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shipbuilder

Text Tax?

Just after hearing on BBC radio Ulster a fella proposing that 1p tax on each text message sent in NI would solve our budget problems at a stroke. I've heard this proposed before for the UK and it was labelled as another 'looney broon' policy but it seems like quite a painless solution to me if it worked.

What do you think?

Just after hearing on BBC radio Ulster a fella proposing that 1p tax on each text message sent in NI would solve our budget problems at a stroke. I've heard this proposed before for the UK and it was labelled as another 'looney broon' policy but it seems like quite a painless solution to me if it worked.

What do you think?

Can school kids go bankrupt ? ;)

An idea I had the oher day was to use VAT instead of ( or in conjunction with) interest rates to stimulate or slow down the economy

eg it goes up in the good times to control spending and down in the bad times to stimulate the economy.

The benefit imo would be that the rise in the good times could be used to clear the national debt, historically the moves in BOE base rate have allowed the banks to make higher profits.

The only downside I can see is the affect on inflation rates although the drop to 15% seemed to have very little impact.

Opinions guys ?

Can school kids go bankrupt ? ;)

An idea I had the oher day was to use VAT instead of ( or in conjunction with) interest rates to stimulate or slow down the economy

eg it goes up in the good times to control spending and down in the bad times to stimulate the economy.

The benefit imo would be that the rise in the good times could be used to clear the national debt, historically the moves in BOE base rate have allowed the banks to make higher profits.

The only downside I can see is the affect on inflation rates although the drop to 15% seemed to have very little impact.

Opinions guys ?

Good idea if you do that in the good times and pay down the debt first off. That moron Brown didn't do that.

What do you think?

How many texts are send from phones in NI? How many of these are outside inclusive minutes? Can’t imagine it would contribute much.

Yes, and why don't they just tax us every time we inhale!

Honestly, who comes up with this stuff??

People trying to think outside the box. Some good stuff, some crap but the status quo is a non-starter. For me I think that we should re-jig VAT completely. More luxury bands for instance. On top end (high margin stuff) it would probably lead to prices remaining the same, less margin for the supplier/and or retailer and more tax take from geezers (and Mrs. geezers) who can afford it.

How many texts are send from phones in NI? How many of these are outside inclusive minutes? Can’t imagine it would contribute much.

If it stopped my two from wearing their fingers out with useless cra@p I am all for it. How about a quid a word?

What do you think?

People would just switch to instant messaging services to avoid the tax.

He'd apparently already done the numbers and it was more than enough to cover the NI budget cuts.