House Price Crash Forum

Hpc Press Releases

HOLA441
HOLA442
I've suggested it before and seen other people suggest it. We (the bears) need to get press releases into the media to mitigate the VI nonsense.

Any suggestions for how we go about it.

HPC has released press releases before. So someone here definitely knows how to do it...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=5615

HOLA443

Just a few quick pointers - keep news releases short, sweet and relevant to readers - I usually aim for 400 words max. Include a strong 'human angle' if you can. Put your contact details down so that journos can contact you if they wish to. Send your news release to a named individual and follow up with a phone call, or several. Match the style of your English to that of the target newspaper. Proof read your release.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I think a march is a great idea....and would get publicity.

Action is always better than inaction.

Yes, this bubble is due to burst. However, with the government coming up with all these new bizarre schemes trying to keep the bubble on the go they need to get a wake up call from disgruntled would be first time buyers in this country and also poverty stricken young struggling hard working families.

You could always get people to email to register before the march to ensure a good turn out - I'd be there! Surely housepricecrash could target other groups such as student groups and housing charities etc for support. As these ridiculously high house prices are making the problem of homelessness worse in this country I believe. Has anyone tried contacting Shelter or groups such as the Rowntree foundation to test the water?

HOLA446
HOLA447

I have just read a separate post about campaigning/taking action.

I love the idea of an overnight campaign in a suitable London area - a London park for example...We could all set up wendy houses and placards.

I guess what is also needed is a pressure group web-site. I am all for setting one up - What is probably needed is a group such as this with resources/time to set up and co-ordinate campaigns.

I think a march or overnight protest could be best co-ordinated via this site. In terms of contacting groups to establish interest - I am more than willing to do this.

Do we have a date?

HOLA448
Not that it matters.  House prices will crash.  Nature works at it's own pace and I guess you (and even inactive me) are all part of it.

Enjoy your march.  ;)

You are quite right of course, but it would be nice to get the HPC message out in order to counter some of the VI spin.

HOLA449
You are all quite right too.  I'm just an old fart.

It was just that hypnotic, shame-inducing cliche:  "action is always better than inaction" -  the sort of thing that parents use to spur obedient children into buying houses at the top.

I've found that every phrase that just "pops" into my head was told to me, by someone, at some time or another, to manipulate me into false action against my interests and in favour of theirs.  I now question them all.

Still.  A march does sound like fun.  And why not?

There's been a number of posts recently about a march / protests. Maybe being more active might be a good thing. But if we do it I say do it properly, with plenty of notice and get other groups involved like the NUS and other groups that like a good campaign like the Urban75 site.

My problem is though, what would you actaully be marching for. It's no good saying "it's not fair, people should lower the price of their houses" , you can't march against market forces. You'd have to be marching for some sort of legislation, higher stamp duty on second homes,abolish tax relief on rent, I'm just pulling things out the air and I don't even think I want these things but I don't think campaigning against high prices alone is enough.

Richard.

HOLA4410
You'd have to be marching for some sort of legislation, higher stamp duty on second homes,abolish tax relief on rent, I'm just pulling things out the air and I don't even think I want these things but I don't think campaigning against high prices alone is enough.

Plus the plan to introduce tax relief on second homes...!

Though no introduction of tax relief on PPR, as used to be the case!

HOLA4411

I think the most effective service HPC.co.uk can provide is pithy, fact-based rebuttals to the most egregious VI spin. If there were such a press-release on news editors' desks within an hour of the original VI press-release, consistently, and always using hard evidence and if possible humour and certainly no malice or invective (and of course written in flawless English) then there is a good chance the material would be used. NGOs like Greenpeace used these techniques to great effect in the past, and are now influential and mainstream. This would be on a smaller scale but could certainly be fun and might just accelerate the UK HPC by a week or two. Worth a few press releases.