House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

These Young Kids Cycling To School (5 And 8)

Kids to School

So what do we all think ? They are on pavements so don't see the big deal myself. You see it in other countries where there is far more danger out there. They just learn quicker to work out where danger is. Not a bad thing IMO. Of course the odd one pays the price but such is life.

Was on BBC Breakfast this morning, had some head teacher on talking about it. In the end she was whingeing about them being on the pavement ohmy.gif . At that age I really don't think they are going to be much of a hazard on the pavement.

At least those in charge seem to be sticking up for common sense and personal responsibility. Makes a change from the previous shower of nonces.

Criticised for letting their children go to school unaccompanied??????? WTF!

BRITAIN IS BROKEN, as if you needed yet another reminder of it.

When I started school in the early 80s at the age of 5/6, I and all the other kids would walk to school.

This is what ALL kids should be doing.

Also, kids cycling on the pavement. What's the big deal? Far safer there. Our roads are a joke and no place for cyclists. Time we built a network of segregated cycle lanes like in many European countries. Even the Germans ride their bikes a lot, I was shocked to discover.

Where I live, my front door opens onto a pavement and then quickly a cycle lane. Then there is a road in the middle. It's great, because it keeps the cars away from your front door. Everyone rides here.;

Guess what? If you take ethnic minorities out of the equation then of the local Dutch, only 10% of kids are overweight. It's simply a superior way of life.

Criticised for letting their children go to school unaccompanied??????? WTF!

BRITAIN IS BROKEN, as if you needed yet another reminder of it.

When I started school in the early 80s at the age of 5/6, I and all the other kids would walk to school.

This is what ALL kids should be doing.

Also, kids cycling on the pavement. What's the big deal? Far safer there. Our roads are a joke and no place for cyclists. Time we built a network of segregated cycle lanes like in many European countries. Even the Germans ride their bikes a lot, I was shocked to discover.

Where I live, my front door opens onto a pavement and then quickly a cycle lane. Then there is a road in the middle. It's great, because it keeps the cars away from your front door. Everyone rides here.;

Guess what? If you take ethnic minorities out of the equation then of the local Dutch, only 10% of kids are overweight. It's simply a superior way of life.

Yep - I am so jealous of the cycleways on much of the continent. Such a more pleasant way for people to get around.

So many major roads have dedicated top quality cycle/walking paths set back from them. Although if I did live over there I think I would end up like on of those scary lycra clad bike freaks. So the shitty roads here do have their benefits. :)

I would end up like on of those scary lycra clad bike freaks.

Agree with everything on this post so far, except I am one of those freaks already.

Yep - I am so jealous of the cycleways on much of the continent. Such a more pleasant way for people to get around.

So many major roads have dedicated top quality cycle/walking paths set back from them. Although if I did live over there I think I would end up like on of those scary lycra clad bike freaks. So the shitty roads here do have their benefits. :)

Its ridiculous. I used to ride/walk to school. Don't think I was ever taken to or collected from the school gates, and there were just as many pervs and weirdo's around in the 1960's. This is something I find odd about modern society. Our roads are full and yet suburbing pavements are eerily empty, so much so that during the last freeze up, it was safer to drive around in a car, as the pavements were icy death traps. Something is very very wrong, when economics allows a one ton, four wheeled "cage" to be the primary mode of getting about.

The only people in Amsterdam who wear lycra are the few Lance Armstrong tool wannabees.

Everyone else wears regular clothes.

It's great right now - tons of fit birds in summer dresses.

I would NEVER allow a 5 year old to travel over a mile on their own - on a bike, on a bus or on a train or anything else. I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

All this rhetoric about childhood sounds like fantasy - 'when I was 5 I had to swim to school through a shark infested lagoon of fire' etc etc. I have been 5. I remember it. I can't think of ANYBODY I knew that got themselves to school unsupervised. At 10 maybe, even 8 ... but not 5.

I have a 5 year old nephew and I have walked with him to school, he needs supervision - letting him go on his own would be an astonishingly stupid thing to do.

The only people in Amsterdam who wear lycra are the few Lance Armstrong tool wannabees.

Everyone else wears regular clothes.

It's great right now - tons of fit birds in summer dresses.

Yeah the Dam is great in summer.

It's the only place where I've lived in the world where tall blondes regularly have great butts as well, normally that morphology is all front ladylumps and nothing on the back. My theory is that the cycling is responsible, but it could just be Dutch genetics.

they don't want kids to ride to school but they don't want kids to be obese either

pick an option and run with it

Forget the kids walking riding to school....this is not the issue IMO it is more about the claim and blame culture we live in today...more about who is responsible and can/will the LA be liable for anything untoward, what ifs....

I would NEVER allow a 5 year old to travel over a mile on their own - on a bike, on a bus or on a train or anything else. I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

All this rhetoric about childhood sounds like fantasy - 'when I was 5 I had to swim to school through a shark infested lagoon of fire' etc etc. I have been 5. I remember it. I can't think of ANYBODY I knew that got themselves to school unsupervised. At 10 maybe, even 8 ... but not 5.

I have a 5 year old nephew and I have walked with him to school, he needs supervision - letting him go on his own would be an astonishingly stupid thing to do.

Thank God for a voice of reason. I agree entirely.

All this nostalgia about travelling to school when we were kids - the circumstances were very different with far less traffic on roads. I did travel to school solo from about 7-8 years of age - my mother finds the idea horrifying now. Regarding exercise, there are many other ways for kids to be active, or walk to school with a supervising adult, but don't use some health fad to excuse culpable stupidity.

That's about right, I think.

My elder brother was tasked with accompanying me to school at the age of 5.(he was 10)

After he went to "big school" it was down to me, I think, so I would have been 6 or 7.

Agree with everything on this post so far, except I am one of those freaks already.

Me too! :lol:

I'm with the PC majority on this. 5 is too young to walk to school alone, 8 is fine and that's pretty much when I started.

I'm with the PC majority on this. 5 is too young to walk to school alone, 8 is fine and that's pretty much when I started.

There's no lone five year old in the article. What are you on about?

Another case entirely.

Didn't read the piece but relied upon the comments. Guilty as charged.

I don't consider an 8 year old on a bike any sort of supervision.

For a start the 8 year old is 8. Secondly the 8 year old is on a bike.

I realise some people used to free-fall parachute to school in war zones,at the age of 3 and it was the making of them, I happen to think differently. If my sister allowed an 8 year old on a bike to supervise her 5 year old going to school, and that 5 year old was injured I'd struggle not to slap her in the face and explain why she was ******ing stupid.

Why not? What's going to happen to them? As long as they know how to cross the road properly, then why not? Edit: OK if its over a mile and many roads to cross, I understand. If its half a mile and a single road to cross, then I don't have a problem.

Yeah the Dam is great in summer.

It's the only place where I've lived in the world where tall blondes regularly have great butts as well, normally that morphology is all front ladylumps and nothing on the back. My theory is that the cycling is responsible, but it could just be Dutch genetics.

You can't imagine how many pert peaches I see and just want to sink my teeth into. Mmmmm..... :D

All this while riding through the Vondelpark (pronounced "fondlepark"). :D:D

Kids to School

At least those in charge seem to be sticking up for common sense and personal responsibility. Makes a change from the previous shower of nonces.

Couldn't care less what their kids do, none of my business.

If one of them gets squashed they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. I would like to be able to decide what I let my kids do or not without interference, and I expect they would simply like the same.

Thank God for a voice of reason. I agree entirely.

All this nostalgia about travelling to school when we were kids - the circumstances were very different with far less traffic on roads. I did travel to school solo from about 7-8 years of age - my mother finds the idea horrifying now. Regarding exercise, there are many other ways for kids to be active, or walk to school with a supervising adult, but don't use some health fad to excuse culpable stupidity.

Me too. I don't remember anyone but the roughest element being allowed out like that on their own before being about 9 years old.

Couldn't care less what their kids do, none of my business.

If one of them gets squashed they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. I would like to be able to decide what I let my kids do or not without interference, and I expect they would simply like the same.

Flick knives and cigarettes for Christmas then?

You have to have some rules because letting, say, a pair of heroin addicts bring up their kids however they see fit is maybe not the best idea in the world.

Why not? What's going to happen to them? As long as they know how to cross the road properly, then why not? Edit: OK if its over a mile and many roads to cross, I understand. If its half a mile and a single road to cross, then I don't have a problem.

Well, it is a mile in the story, so 100% further than your example and it describes them having to travel along side busy roads. I'm sure it is not beyond your imagination to think of many dangerous situations a 5 year old can get themselves in to and the lack of rapidity associated with an 8 year old on a bike doing anything about it .

Now, its very likely they will be fine. However, I can think of lots of ways I could teach a child independence and allow them to experience freedom without having to take this particular risk. I can also think of many ways of getting children to school which are significantly less stupid.

I'm not suggesting a law is established or asking for anyone to be prosecuted, I'm just saying that, personally, I think the parents are ******ing stupid. They probably think I am. You probably think I am. I couldn't give a flying ******. I'm smart enough not to put children in that sort of danger, but still allow them to grow up well adjusted.

'when I was 5 I had to swim to school through a shark infested lagoon of fire' etc etc.

We used to dream of sharks. Mutant Sea Bass was the best we could hope for.

I used to walk to school on my own from about 7 or 8, but it was literally a 5 minute walk and the only road involved was the one our house was on, which was pretty much deserted in those days (early 70s).

Flick knives and cigarettes for Christmas then?

You have to have some rules because letting, say, a pair of heroin addicts bring up their kids however they see fit is maybe not the best idea in the world.

Both illegal for kids under 16. So no, I would not condone that particularly.

Otherwise, anything legal they want to let their kids do.. including stroking the pet crocodile.. is fine with me, as long as they consider the risks.

Heroin addicts are a bit of a special case.. the kids should probably stay with a relative until the parents are well again. There is always room for flexibility in special cases.. that's why we have child protective services.