House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

New Car Sales Rise 10.8 Percent In June

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/new-car-sales-rise-10-8-percent-in-june-reuters_molt-c72084d72968.html?x=0

New car sales rise 10.8 percent in June
9:07, Tuesday 6 July 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - New car registrations in Britain rose 10.8 percent in June to 195,226 vehicles, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said on Tuesday.
"The new car market continued to perform above expectations in June, with fleet sector registrations up 25 percent compared to this time last year," said Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive.
"The industry still expects challenging economic conditions in the second half of the year and government action to improve access to credit for consumers and businesses will be important in sustaining the momentum of recovery."

I am seeing quite a few "10" plates around where I live. No signs of austerity making any difference so far. Restaurants still packed around Brighton and EAs remain buoyant if not a bit nervous about what might happen. IN the meantime, its eat, drink and be merry as the good times continue to roll despite the doom and gloom that is still theory for most.

FTSE upticked on news:

FTSE 100 4889.00+1.36%

Edited by Realistbear

FT article which sounds a contrary note to the OP:

Carmakers pin their hopes on fleet buyers - Jun-25
In depth: Car industry: after the crisis - Jun-13
Global recovery in the car industry seen in the first part of the year is losing steam in markets from the US to China.
In the US, retail car sales have recovered from last year’s lows but slowed over the past two months.
The withdrawal of scrapping incentives introduced last year is hurting sales in Europe, which analysts say will be further affected by austerity plans recently introduced in several countries.
Even in China – the global car industry’s new growth motor – sales growth is slowing month-on-month, with dealers reporting more problems moving cars off lots.
The car market’s softening could spell more trouble for an industry that in 2009 received tens of billions of dollars of emergency bail-out loans and scrappage subsidies.
Edited by Realistbear

"Private sales in June were 3.3% lower than last year."

I thought it would be a lot more down that that. Scrappage sales were 1 in 5 of all buys in some months last year.

Fleet buys are up because the prices have dropped a bit. Some of them (e.g. Ford) raised their prices and then dropped them again after scrappage ended.

http://uk.finance.ya...d72968.html?x=0

New car sales rise 10.8 percent in June
9:07, Tuesday 6 July 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - New car registrations in Britain rose 10.8 percent in June to 195,226 vehicles, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said on Tuesday.
"The new car market continued to perform above expectations in June, with fleet sector registrations up 25 percent compared to this time last year," said Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive.
"The industry still expects challenging economic conditions in the second half of the year and government action to improve access to credit for consumers and businesses will be important in sustaining the momentum of recovery."

I am seeing quite a few "10" plates around where I live. No signs of austerity making any difference so far. Restaurants still packed around Brighton and EAs remain buoyant if not a bit nervous about what might happen. IN the meantime, its eat, drink and be merry as the good times continue to roll despite the doom and gloom that is still theory for most.

FTSE upticked on news:

FTSE 100 4889.00+1.36%

FTSE upticked on news to reach a level it has hit on a number of occasions - going back as far as 1997. 13 years of ups and downs but the index that measures the value of the 100 biggest publicly quoted companies says that those companies are worth the same now as they were 13 years ago.

There is a mass variable marketing out there right now, mostly drive by PSA, but all manufactures are following, in Europe at least. I took the opportunity to get a 10 plate this year as the pricing is good.

You'll get conflicting reports for the rest of the year, depending on how the figures are cut, with respect to geographical regions. Britain up, Germany Down, EU19 up, 21 static etc… or manufacturer or segment, or launch, with some strange swings. I wouldn't pay much attention to the monthlies.

Generally the good news is commercials are up, as are SUVs in the US, so I think we will see global up on last year, but not close to the mid decade numbers. Depends on China though, like a lot of things.

seeings lots of 10 plates here. Mostly econoboxes though. Not much german metal or 4x4s.

disagree, have you been to a beamer or Audi dealership recently? Yep, thought not.

Audi lead times are the longest I have ever known, even for their volume cars. Why? Cos peeps are buying them.

disagree, have you been to a beamer or Audi dealership recently? Yep, thought not.

Audi lead times are the longest I have ever known, even for their volume cars. Why? Cos peeps are buying them.

No, because stupid people like to pay a premium for things they have to wait for...cause they are desirable.

The car munufacturers have been doing this for a while, limit supply, keep prices up, cant ask for a discount...sound familiar....eventually though people get sick of it and buy a decent one elsewhere... :lol:

Companies have been putting off replacing the fleets of vehicles, but they have to replace them eventually.

generally they replace them every year, but they need to replace them within 3 years before the MOT comes due and they start needing expensive servicing.

No, because stupid people like to pay a premium for things they have to wait for...cause they are desirable.

The car munufacturers have been doing this for a while, limit supply, keep prices up, cant ask for a discount...sound familiar....eventually though people get sick of it and buy a decent one elsewhere... :lol:

Company buys mine :P

So, you think that people only buy cars on the criteria you have listed? Audi and Beamer have the most tax efficient models (with exception of Volvo) than any other mark to date, but you already knew that didn't you?

Edited by Godley

FTSE upticked on news to reach a level it has hit on a number of occasions - going back as far as 1997. 13 years of ups and downs but the index that measures the value of the 100 biggest publicly quoted companies says that those companies are worth the same now as they were 13 years ago.

it's actually worse than that given that companies that perform poorly are dropped from the index at regular intervals.

Company buys mine :P

So, you think that people only buy cars on the criteria you have listed? Audi and Beamer have the most tax efficient models (with exception of Volvo) than any other mark to date, but you already knew that didn't you?

I think it's something else ...

The guy who repairs our cars has his forecourt loaded with cars awaiting parts - he looks really busy but isn't.

He tells me that the problem is the lead time for parts, where they used to be 2 - 3 days he is now waiting weeks.

Is there a lead for BMW / Audi 'cos everyone wants one or because they have reduced their capacity meaning longer lead times?

OK. Well around here they must be buying lots of german cars and just keeping them in their garages, cos I aint seeing them!

Lots of punto and fiesta econetic thingys, lots of kias/hyundais, the odd mondeo and vectra (or whatever its called now), but thats about it.