House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Up 1.5%

Guest_FaFa!_*

When i can't afford to lose the lot i'll pack it in but the daft thing about it all is that i enjoy doing it. I'm mortgage free , no debt , savings tucked away and a job with as much overtime as i want. Its the only risk i take and i'm well up on it.

sounds interesting but be careful. im sure you will feel less cavalier if it did lose the lot and it can happen. these shares can plunge to dust in the space of an hour. everythings weird. your playing with fire. fun though, i guess, but your gambling basically. you have the gamblers rush.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds interesting but be careful. im sure you will feel less cavalier if it did lose the lot and it can happen. these shares can plunge to dust in the space of an hour. everythings weird. your playing with fire. fun though, i guess, but your gambling basically. you have the gamblers rush.

Until interest rates and treasury yields go up then where will people choose to place their money? The stock market is the only game left in town.

Xstrata must be the most volatile stock in the whole index , it can swing near 15% over the course of two sessions.

Edited by headrow

Until interest rates and treasury yields go up then where will people choose to place their money? The stock market is the only game left in town.

Xstrata must be the most volatile stock in the whole index , it can swing near 15% over the course of two sessions.

the point that they have made it the only game in town worries me.

these people are incredibly clever (not dumbasses) and there will be a reason they are leading you here.

Sounds like an addiction to gambling!

FTSE 100 4939.81+2.41%

Dow 9,827.78 +141.30 +1.46%

Based on "good" news from both the US and the UK as follows:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/with-the-us-trapped-in-depression-this-really-is-starting-to-feel-like1932-tele-be4738ba5626.html?x=0

With the US trapped in depression, this really is starting to feel like 1932
Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, 15:20,
Tuesday 6 July 2010
The US workforce shrank by 652,000 in June, one of the sharpest contractions ever. The rate of hourly earnings fell 0.1pc. Wages are flirting with deflation.
"The economy is still in the gravitational pull of the Great Recession," said Robert Reich, former US labour secretary. "All the booster rockets for getting us beyond it are failing."
"Home sales are down. Retail sales are down. Factory orders in May suffered their biggest tumble since March of last year. So what are we doing about it? Less than nothing," he said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Investors-shake-off-slowdown-apf-1296365696.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

Investors shake off slowdown in services growth
Traders looking for beaten-down stocks look past weaker reading on services businesses
Stock futures rose Tuesday, July 6, 2010, as investors try to recover some of the big losses that piled up in recent weeks following a string of disappointing economic reports.(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, file)
Stephen Bernard and Tim Paradis, AP Business Writers, On Tuesday July 6, 2010, 10:45 am
NEW YORK (AP) -- Stocks rose Tuesday after investors tried to recover some of the big losses that piled up in recent weeks following a string of disappointing economic reports.
The jump in stocks came after investors looked past a report that growth in
services businesses slowed last month.
The Institute for Supply Management, a trade group of purchasing executives, said its index of services companies fell to 53.8 last month from 55.4 in May.
Economic reports have routinely fallen short of economists' forecasts in recent months.
That has investors worried that the growth is not coming as quickly as expected and any expansion will be slow for a prolonged period.
Edited by Realistbear

Do the markets really believe the risk has passed and that soveriegn debt has been contained?

If gold is the gauge, it does seem so:

-1.46%

Moving in the opposite direction of stocks. I am no gold bull but if I was, I would not be getting nervous on recent selling. Even the FX is buying the Euro as if "its contained." Is there concerted government manipulation going on to try to rebalance things?

Gold slips as stocks bounce and risk aversion recedes

Jan Harvey, 16:03, Tuesday 6 July 2010

LONDON (Reuters) - Gold erased early gains on Tuesday to tumble to a six-week low as selling precipitated by a sharp rebound in equities pushed the metal through key technical support levels near $1,200 an ounce.

Edited by Realistbear

Do the markets really believe the risk has passed and that soveriegn debt has been contained?

oh look its Realist"markets can only move in one direction"Bear i suppose it would be more natural to have the market have 300 down days in a row, cant have a market with two sides anymore, that may have been the case the last x hundred years but from now on if it doesnt move in a straight line its wrong

oh look its Realist"markets can only move in one direction"Bear i suppose it would be more natural to have the market have 300 down days in a row, cant have a market with two sides anymore, that may have been the case the last x hundred years but from now on if it doesnt move in a straight line its wrong

There is something going on here that defies usual explanations a such as the market always goes up and down. Horrible news from the US and double-dip becoming the "100% certain, guaranteed" bet and the market goes UP almost 3%!

FTSE 100 4965.00+2.93%

1% even 1.5% up on bad news would not be too noteworthy but this was a big move today. But then again BP did well for some reason and the banks are raging forward again.

There is something going on here that defies usual explanations a such as the market always goes up and down. Horrible news from the US and double-dip becoming the "100% certain, guaranteed" bet and the market goes UP almost 3%!

FTSE 100 4965.00+2.93%

1% even 1.5% up on bad news would not be too noteworthy but this was a big move today. But then again BP did well for some reason and the banks are raging forward again.

Maybe your analysis is just flawed, the markets look perfectly fine to me, you had an 8 percent up move in the middle of the lehmans crisis two years, they are natural countertrend corrections, if you can find me one bull or bear market in history that hasnt had such countermoves i might start understanding why you dont understand this. Markets become over bought and oversold , they then move in the opposite direction to unwind these conditions due to bargain hunters etc, it is pure phsychology. This is why a branch of technical analysis based on Fibonacchi exists, if you are continuously trying to understand market direction based on daily news /non news events then you are a glutton for punishment, id have thought the amount of times youve not understood a market move just over the last month based on daily "news" would have been enough to give up that form of analysis

The media are useless are predicting the future.

So the ACME stock index is up 1.5%, so they go to the "good news" cabinet, and pull anything out at random e.g. increased consumer confidence from GDP figures, to try to explain the rise. Really it's that easy? So the next day ACME stock index is down 1.5%, so the reporters go to "bad news" cabinet and pull out a reason at random e.g. fears grow over smoking volcano.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=146561

if you are continuously trying to understand market direction based on daily news /non news events then you are a glutton for punishment, id have thought the amount of times youve not understood a market move just over the last month based on daily "news" would have been enough to give up that form of analysis

Quite.

The BBC always feel the need to justify any market movement over about 2% with a particular news event or other.

In reality, a market with millions of participants digesting millions of pieces of information is going to be far too complex to explain just by saying "X data was published, causing a Y% fall in markets"

Yep. The algorithms are in charge for now so a repeat of the flash crash can happen at any time. I suppose you can always rely on the Plunge Protection Team.

Maybe your analysis is just flawed, the markets look perfectly fine to me, you had an 8 percent up move in the middle of the lehmans crisis two years, they are natural countertrend corrections, if you can find me one bull or bear market in history that hasnt had such countermoves i might start understanding why you dont understand this. Markets become over bought and oversold , they then move in the opposite direction to unwind these conditions due to bargain hunters etc, it is pure phsychology. This is why a branch of technical analysis based on Fibonacchi exists, if you are continuously trying to understand market direction based on daily news /non news events then you are a glutton for punishment, id have thought the amount of times youve not understood a market move just over the last month based on daily "news" would have been enough to give up that form of analysis

News can move the market in a dramatic way. 911, for example. A comment by a market mover can also have a dramatic effect as we saw when Alan "Al" Greenspan would utter something incomprehensible and the stocks would fly in one direction or the other.

We are in an era of "big news" which is why the market is gyrating more so now.

Quite.

The BBC always feel the need to justify any market movement over about 2% with a particular news event or other.

In reality, a market with millions of participants digesting millions of pieces of information is going to be far too complex to explain just by saying "X data was published, causing a Y% fall in markets"

Surely todays rise can be explained by saying that after 5 days of heavy falls that most were short the market but early indicators said the market would rise meaning they had to close their short position thus pushing the market further up and then momentum took over?

Edited by headrow

News can move the market in a dramatic way. 911, for example. A comment by a market mover can also have a dramatic effect as we saw when Alan "Al" Greenspan would utter something incomprehensible and the stocks would fly in one direction or the other.

We are in an era of "big news" which is why the market is gyrating more so now.

No see theres your problem, the media tell you why the market has moved a certain way after its moved, greenspan could say anything and the market could collectively view it as positive or negative. Tell me about 911, did the market fall more in the year before it or after it (clue that would be before it)

Interest rates up, market goes up due to positive business outlook

Interest rates up, market goes down due to overheating economy

The news is practically useless

No see theres your problem, the media tell you why the market has moved a certain way after its moved, greenspan could say anything and the market could collectively view it as positive or negative. Tell me about 911, did the market fall more in the year before it or after it (clue that would be before it)

Interest rates up, market goes up due to positive business outlook

Interest rates up, market goes down due to overheating economy

The news is practically useless

How are you viewing the markets currently? Do you still think we will get a mid summer rally in the US before the main wave down, or have events changed your view since May?

An big up day was always likely but it doesn't tell you anything about the trend

China annouced stimulus package overnight ... reducing risk of global double dip. Why do you think AUD/USD went up from 83.30 overnight to up to 85.50 this afternoon?

We are entering Q2 earnings season. Analysts have uprated earnings estimates for Q2 (dont ask me why!). Fund managers have bought on back on this, probably to "buy the rumour and sell the fact"

Market was consensus bearish by end of last week with multiple down days ... a short squeeze was always likely.

Nonetheless the S&P is now only up around 9 pts (from 20 pts mid afternoon) and 10-year UST yields are lower. If this was a genuine "risk on" move, govt bond yields would be higher.

Edited by david m