House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deflation

Councils Attacked Over Non-Jobs

Unfortunately, it's Eric Pickles only at the moment, who I feel comes across as a bit of a buffoon.

"The communities secretary has attacked councils for creating "non jobs" such as cheerleading development officers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10517915.stm

"Eric Pickles wants local authorities to advertise all posts on their websites so their usefulness can be scrutinised."

That is spot on. All council posts should be displayed, so the council taxpayer can see how their money is being spent. They could hide jobs by contracting them out, but the amount spent should have to be revealed.

I don't think the reporting of it was too bad though

mentioning jobs about cheerleading and audience something-or-other.

:)

Notice he steered clear of using some really emotive non job titles like Outreach and Diversity.

The time is not quite yet right for him to make the stick the left will beat him with.

You watch the accusations that the coalition government is racist/homophobic when they start going after the diversity officers.

whats wrong with developing cheerleaders....the bustier and leggier the better....taxpayers money well spent.....</perve off>

People talk about all these non-jobs in the public sector but they exist in the private sector too. Worse than that, there are 'anti-jobs', where people are employed to do things that are detrimental to society - e.g. working for a car tuning components company making noisy replacement exhaust systems for boy racers to fit to their cars (particularly Subaru Imprezzas).

People talk about all these non-jobs in the public sector but they exist in the private sector too. Worse than that, there are 'anti-jobs', where people are employed to do things that are detrimental to society - e.g. working for a car tuning components company making noisy replacement exhaust systems for boy racers to fit to their cars (particularly Subaru Imprezzas).

But in the private sector people choose if they want something or not.

The amount of corruption at LA level will make your toes curl. Nepotism is rife and non-jobs for the relatives and as pay-offs are so extremely commonplace.

If Cameron is serious about cleaning this country up and reducing corruption he needs to appoint a task force along the lines of Operation Countryman.*

* Which failed in its basic objective to rid City of London Police of corruption. The report concluded that every officer above CI needed to be sacked. The DPP reported this to Maggie and Maggie declined for expediency reasons.

* Which failed in its basic objective to rid City of London Police of corruption. The report concluded that every officer above CI needed to be sacked. The DPP reported this to Maggie and Maggie declined for expediency reasons.

Or was the report commission itself corrupt?

The amount of corruption at LA level will make your toes curl.  Nepotism is rife and non-jobs for the relatives and as pay-offs are so extremely commonplace.

If Cameron is serious about cleaning this country up and reducing corruption he needs to appoint a task force along the lines of Operation Countryman.*

* Which failed in its basic objective to rid City of London Police of corruption.  The report concluded that every officer above CI needed to be sacked.  The DPP reported this to Maggie and Maggie declined for expediency reasons.

RB, very true indeed, especially in some of the more diverse areas where PC was used as a means of avoiding awkward questions.  Time for a serious bit of collar feeling by the old Bill I think.

Fascinating. Never heard of it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Countryman

"Despite Countryman's recommendation that over 300 officers should face criminal charges, no officer was ever charged with a criminal offence as a result of the investigation."

:angry:

There may be some mileage (boom boom) in a law banning exhausts above a certain volume[1], but as an argument about non-jobs (or 'anti-jobs') and free markets...at least there is a market for these noisy 'zausts (or is it 'zorsts?), so people hand over their money entirely voluntarily to acquire this stuff.

[1] I would welcome that -- and, if I got the choice, it would be a pretty quiet volume, too!

Guest happy?

Unfortunately, it's Eric Pickles only at the moment, who I feel comes across as a bit of a buffoon.

"The communities secretary has attacked councils for creating "non jobs" such as cheerleading development officers."

http://news.bbc.co.u...uk/10517915.stm

"Eric Pickles wants local authorities to advertise all posts on their websites so their usefulness can be scrutinised."

That is spot on. All council posts should be displayed, so the council taxpayer can see how their money is being spent. They could hide jobs by contracting them out, but the amount spent should have to be revealed.

I'm afraid you're right about Mr Pickles being a fat buffoon.

You might like to consider the following and then ask yourself whether he's simply playing to the gallery with the worst kind of gesture politics or whether he really is going to be making any long term difference:

Most local authorities have online job applications processes including secure websites/applications forms/job descriptions and additional information such as departmental structures, terms and conditions of employment, and lots of other information about jobs.

These services were set-up about a decade ago under the last Labour government as part of the 'transformational government' agenda i.e. about making local authority services available online. This process also included such things as getting information about environmental health - e.g. scores on the doors reporting on restaurant food hygiene and planning processes - including making comments about planning applications.

Many local authorities outsourced the running of these services to private contractors at the time of setting them up - e.g. the 12 local authorities in Hampshire run their services through a private company here: http://www3.hants.go...hampshire-jobs. The site includes the sort of information Fatty Pickles apparently is going to 'sort-out' - let's hope he can get up to speed on his portfolio.

Additionally, you may like to consider where all the non-jobs he refers to are and why his colleagues at a local level haven't done something about it in the past. The vast majority of local council in England and Wales have been Tory controlled for the last 5-10 years and these councils have a veto on what jobs they have in which departments. There are certain services which by statute local authorities have to provide but there is no prescription on how those services are provided.

Mr Pickles is in a deep pickle it seems. He attacks local authorities for services they've been providing for a decade and then goes on to criticise his own Conservative-controlled councils for offering services which evidently they approve of - they have control of headcount and posts within their local authority.

Fatty Pickles is rapidly making John Prescott look like Einstein.

Guest absolutezero

But in the private sector people choose if they want something or not.

You keep believing that.

Guest absolutezero

Why do you keep pea-shooting from the back of the class? Stand up, stop dribbling, and explain yourself.

I've explained this one before. Many times.

You don't actually have any sort of choice. It's mainly cartels.

I need electricity/gas/phone/current account/washing powder/etc. They're all a pretty similar price.

The private companies know you have no choice to buy their good or a similar one from a competitor. So they're all pretty much the same price.

The "choice" is just an illusion for those who haven't yet realised it.

Can you not understand that no one obliged to buy anything.

Heating - log burner, phone - no, food - grow it.

The only thing I am obliged to pay for is council tax ... so put that in your pipe you incessant whiner

I've explained this one before. Many times.

You don't actually have any sort of choice. It's mainly cartels.

I need electricity/gas/phone/current account/washing powder/etc. They're all a pretty similar price.

The private companies know you have no choice to buy their good or a similar one from a competitor. So they're all pretty much the same price.

The "choice" is just an illusion for those who haven't yet realised it.

Guest absolutezero

Yes. Because that's practical isn't it? :rolleyes:

The only thing I am obliged to pay for is council tax ... so put that in your pipe you incessant whiner

When you develop thinking skills beyond those of a ten year old come back and argue you puerile idiot.

Guest happy?

One of the areas which has always interested me is how you reach such a conclusion. There's an attraction in the cowboy metaphor - someone who lives free and answerable to no man but able to pit his own against nature: and this as the measure of manhood.

The corollary of this is the tax collector as someone who extracts money from the individual by force - and thereby limiting or damaging that individual.

It's an attractive idea which appeals to many.

But in practice how do you square such a belief - your capacity to operate outside of society is non-existent. You do still have to pay for council tax, but you also have to pay for food, light, shelter, warmth, and any other range of goods and services.

Is the dream so powerful that you simply ignore reality - or have you found some way to opt-out of society - if the latter how did you do it?

One of the areas which has always interested me is how you reach such a conclusion. There's an attraction in the cowboy metaphor - someone who lives free and answerable to no man but able to pit his own against nature: and this as the measure of manhood.

The corollary of this is the tax collector as someone who extracts money from the individual by force - and thereby limiting or damaging that individual.

It's an attractive idea which appeals to many.

But in practice how do you square such a belief - your capacity to operate outside of society is non-existent. You do still have to pay for council tax, but you also have to pay for food, light, shelter, warmth, and any other range of goods and services.

Is the dream so powerful that you simply ignore reality - or have you found some way to opt-out of society - if the latter how did you do it?

I dont want to pay for killers to be killed "on my behalf" in some pointless war.

Im forced to however, Ill concede.

so, if thats the case, I want the money spent properly...otherwise im serving a sentance for someone elses benefit. If I go to a hotel and the staff all laze around and I dont get the service, yet still pay the price...I can withold payment and worse, fail to go again AND tell everyone I meet to do the same.

public sector workers dont give a shit. And if they do, they certainly arent forced to by a market.

Yes it is practical - it is what I do. My main cost is council tax.

Is this impossible for you to understand ? It is my choice not to be a consumer.

My thinking skills seem to be way beyond yours , as your mind is closed.

Yes. Because that's practical isn't it? :rolleyes:

When you develop thinking skills beyond those of a ten year old come back and argue you puerile idiot.

Guest absolutezero

Yes it is practical - it is what I do. My main cost is council tax.

Is this impossible for you to understand ? It is my choice not to be a consumer.

My thinking skills seem to be way beyond yours , as your mind is closed.

Nurse. Rogbog is out of bed again....

Still , you can feel like an intellectual giant again tomorrow in front of your pupils.

ooooooh ....you are awful...!

Guest X-QUORK

What a weirdo. Posts nothing for years and then launches in in attack mode.