House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReadingRabbit

Government Spends Thousands On Iphone Apps

Government spends thousands on iPhone apps

BBC News has learnt that the Government has spent tens of thousands of pounds developing iPhone applications.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request revealed that development costs ranged from £10,000 - £40,000.

These included a travel advice app from the Foreign Office and a jobseekers' tool.

By the end of May there were over 53,000 downloads of the Jobcentre Plus app, although critics have asked why someone who can afford both an iPhone and the expensive running costs would need a Jobcentre Plus app. :rolleyes:

read the full report at Linky: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10514367.stm

Good use of the taxpayers money :P

BBC News has learnt that the Government has spent tens of thousands of pounds developing iPhone applications.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request revealed that development costs ranged from £10,000 - £40,000.

These included a travel advice app from the Foreign Office and a jobseekers' tool.

By the end of May there were over 53,000 downloads of the Jobcentre Plus app, although critics have asked why someone who can afford both an iPhone and the expensive running costs would need a Jobcentre Plus app. :rolleyes:

read the full report at Linky: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10514367.stm

Good use of the taxpayers money :P

:angry:

I think the worst is yet to come. I'm waiting for something bigger and more stupid than iphone aps to be discovered...

Perhaps nulabour were giving money to some nigerian general who promised them some of his billions ...

Because not everyone on the dole is long-term unemployed and maybe already had an iPhone before they were made redundant?

And anyway, £10,000 for an app is nothing - it's what, 3 months worth of one programmers time?

And compared to the millions spent on posters and traditional advertising it's a drop in the ocean.

A Foreign Office 'travel advice' app actually sounds pretty useful since you're more likely to have a phone with you than access to a laptop or PC when travelling. Especially in a situation like the recent ash cloud etc. Although a mobile website that other phones, not just iPhones, can use would be best (like http://m.bbc.co.uk is the mobile version of http://www.bbc.co.uk).

I'd prefer my taxes spent on this than housing benefit or whatever.

Because not everyone on the dole is long-term unemployed and maybe already had an iPhone before they were made redundant?

And anyway, £10,000 for an app is nothing - it's what, 3 months worth of one programmers time?

And compared to the millions spent on posters and traditional advertising it's a drop in the ocean.

A Foreign Office 'travel advice' app actually sounds pretty useful since you're more likely to have a phone with you than access to a laptop or PC when travelling. Especially in a situation like the recent ash cloud etc. Although a mobile website that other phones, not just iPhones, can use would be best (like http://www.bbc.co.uk).

it would be money well spent if the jobcentre HAD any jobs to push.

These are some of the apps (from the BBC site):

Gov iPhone apps and costs

NHS Drinks Tracker £10,000 :D

• NHS Quit Smoking £10,000 :D
  • Jobcentre Plus £32,775
  • DVLA Masterclass £40,000

Do they really expect drinkers and smokers to launch these apps and keep track of how much they are drinking and smoking??

+1

Very very small beer for a possible good return. More of this please.

Of course most of these 'apps' are a waste, but I've heard anecdotes that many iPhone apps are purely for marketing - i.e. there's no real business case for them as a standalone app. Things like a 'FIFA world cup' app, or that iBeer one etc.

So I'm guessing that these goverment apps are being commissioned from the advertising side of government rather than the bit that actually does useful work.

So, as long as advertising gets cut back you should see less of this crap as well.