House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest X-QUORK

This Really Grips My Poop

Guest X-QUORK

Pope's UK visit 'could cost taxpayers £12m' - BBC reports

The cost to taxpayers of the Pope's visit to Britain could rise to £12m - up to £4m higher than previous figures, the government has said. [see link for rest of the story]

Why can't the Catholic Church fully fund his visit? I don't see why taxpayers should fund some religious concert for the 11% of the population who follow that religion.

Unbelievable.

Guest happy?

The cost to taxpayers of the Pope's visit to Britain could rise to £12m - up to £4m higher than previous figures, the government has said. [see link for rest of the story]

Why can't the Catholic Church fully fund his visit? I don't see why taxpayers should fund some religious concert for the 11% of the population who follow that religion.

Unbelievable.

Bless you my child.

Guest X-QUORK

Is there a form we can fill in if we want a refund?

Apparently anyone can go along and get a ticket from their nearest RC Church. I'm seriously considering it out of spite.

Unbelievable.

It's costing us more than for Gary Gliiter.

And he wasn't responsible for a fraction of the abuse.

I'm not a fan either, however in fairness if we're going to underwrite those visitors of other religious persuasions, I'd rather see the Catholic church treated in the same way as every other religious body who brings somebody here who needs protection. My preference would be to make them all pay for themselves.

Guest X-QUORK

It's a State Visit. We'd do the same for the Dalai Lama.

I don't recall a massive State-funded concert when he visited in 2004.

Guest happy?

Apparently anyone can go along and get a ticket from their nearest RC Church. I'm seriously considering it out of spite.

I bet it won't be remembered with such fondness as say Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival either.

I bet it won't be remembered with such fondness as say Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival either.

I'm not so sure the Dalai Lama's was so mental in 2004 X-QUORK can't remember anything about it.

Guest happy?

I'm not so sure the Dalai Lama's was so mental in 2004 X-QUORK can't remember anything about it.

If you can remember the papal visit you weren't really there, man.

During the Pope's visit to the UK,a young priest approaches him for advice.

'A young boy came to Confession today,' said the priest. 'What should I be giving these kids for masturbation?'

'For masturbation, a Coca Cola and a packet of crisps will do... but if you want a blow job you might have to stretch to a Nintendo DS'.

On a slightly different point, but one that should have an equal if not greater clench on Quork's faecal matter - I heard on the local news that they (The RC posse) are planning on asking Church-goers to help raise funds for some Pope-visit related shenanigans.

Really?

The multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-etc ..............

.................. Billionaire Roman Catholic church is asking its 'flock' for 'help' to fund a UK tour of its CEO?

:lol: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

Guest happy?

During the Pope's visit to the UK,a young priest approaches him for advice.

'A young boy came to Confession today,' said the priest. 'What should I be giving these kids for masturbation?'

'For masturbation, a Coca Cola and a packet of crisps will do... but if you want a blow job you might have to stretch to a Nintendo DS'.

Bubbadom tish.

Here all week.

Ifangyoo.

I'm not a fan either, however in fairness if we're going to underwrite those visitors of other religious persuasions, I'd rather see the Catholic church treated in the same way as every other religious body who brings somebody here who needs protection. My preference would be to make them all pay for themselves.

We shouldn't pay for any IMO. All the biggies are more than capable of providing this funding themselves.

We shouldn't pay for any IMO. All the biggies are more than capable of providing this funding themselves.

Mason Boyne! :blink:

Mason Boyne! :blink:

Genius !! Never seen that before.

Guest Skinty

Unbelievable.

Does it really grind your gears?

Unbelievable.

Consider it part of your penance.

You have been very bad and it is for your own spiritual good. The very act of giving will be good for you. The money is not needed, essentially, accepting the funding is an altruistic act from God's Church.

http://news.bbc.co.u...pe/10501668.stm and Roman Catholic assassination teams in Belgium issue death threats to magistrates, witnesses, informants and complainants. People close to the heart of the Belgian police investigation into Catholic church-based paedophile rings are being targeted by the Vatican's underworld enforcers. Jesuit and Opus Dei BlackOps suspected. On the morning of Thursday 24th June 2010, a total of thirty Belgian police officers were involved in the paedophile sex investigation raid pictured here at the palace of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels (Belgium). Simultaneously, police swoop teams were deployed to two other Roman Catholic locations in the Brussels area. Four hundred and fifty detailed submissions to a special commission set up to examine complaints of Roman Catholic child abuse in the Mechelen-Brussels archdiocese were impounded by the Belgian police. One hundred of these are understood to be regarded as confidential by the Roman Catholic Church in Belgium. After the Belgian church police raids had concluded, Josef Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI) issued a message of support to the Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels, André-Joseph Léonard, Primate of Belgium and head of the Belgian bishops' conference: "I want to express, dear brother in the Episcopate, as well as to all the Bishops of Belgium, my closeness and solidarity in this moment of sadness, in which, with certain surprising and deplorable methods, searches were carried out." More background here (28.06.10), here (28.06.10), here (27.06.10), here (27.06.10), here (09.04.10) and here (25.03.10). ............. from http://alcuinbramerton.blogspot.com/

It;'s a state visit. If we did not pay for state visits to us, we'd end up paying for the Queen's state visits abroad instead; swings and roundabouts.

The broader issue is what value state visits give in return for the money.

What did grab my attention is that the estimate for the cost to the taxpayer has risen from £8m to £10-12m. Yet again a huge failure to estimate costs correctly, and of course, they always go up. Perhaps we could save money by sacking the clowns who do the estimates.