House Price Crash Forum

Lbc Radio Now - Phone In On Housing Benefit Cuts

HOLA441

LBC phone in is discussing complaints from labour MPs today that "social cleansing" will happen in London now because Westminster council has said it will have to move homeless families out of the borough

0845 60 60 973, text 84850 if anyone has the energy to argue....

HOLA442
HOLA443

Funny how they come up with the sound-bites for their own political ends!!

Social Cleansing sounds like Ethnic Cleansing and is clearly designed to spark emotive memory.

Course the market could drive rents down back into territory where HB applies but they always ignore that part of the argument.

I wager the number of Tory MP's with BTL interests is not nearly as many as those on the Labour benches.

HOLA444

Forgetting of course that large areas in Manchester have been socially cleansed by pulling down council houses and building shitty new housing association stuff. Oh and turfing out OO too and paying them rubbish money so they couldn't afford to buy again.

HOLA445
HOLA446

They seemed to delay it for an hour. Presenter very confused, on the one hand she wants to get all up in arms and say this is Shirley Porter all over again, bringing in the right kind of voter but then presenter remembered that she had to move out of Chiswick to get more space and got confused if she wanted taxes going to those who didn't have to make the move.

Edited by TeddyBear

HOLA447

Lady from Westminster council on now saying that Labour policy was madness - and that £400 a week is still equivalent to salary of £60k a year, which will keep people in benefits trap.

She is also saying that she thinks rents will adjust and come down because there isn't enough private sector demand to replace all the flats in the borough paid for by housing benefits.

HOLA448

LBC phone in is discussing complaints from labour MPs today that "social cleansing" will happen in London now because Westminster council has said it will have to move homeless families out of the borough

This could turn out to be great for London. Get rid of the scroungers and it might be worth my while to buy a flat there.

Are people really against London being cleaner with nicer people in it?

HOLA449

Lady from Westminster council on now saying that Labour policy was madness - and that £400 a week is still equivalent to salary of £60k a year, which will keep people in benefits trap.

She is also saying that she thinks rents will adjust and come down because there isn't enough private sector demand to replace all the flats in the borough paid for by housing benefits.

Oh, I suspect there will be enough private sector demand, particularly if there is a certain amount of rental adjustment.

A ceiling on LHA payments in Westminster of £1600 a month might create a "ripple-in" effect, decreasing rents to the point where two-income professional couples that work in Central London but currently rent private sector one/two-bed flats in zone two/three/four for £1000-ish a month can afford to move inwards towards the centre.

After all, it would make sense for them to do this. You'd possibly save a good £300 a month in total on transport costs, then it is only another £200 a month to find to exchange for reduced commuting times.

HOLA4410

This has been happening for years as the poor unfortunate residents of Hasting know only too well as London boroughs dump their undesirables on them.

Similar thing happened on the Marquess Estate in Islington under a Labour government and council when many local council tenants were forced to move to make way for more upmarket development.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

While everyone bandies around the highly-charged 400 figure, I wanted to know for a fact who actually receives this and under what circumstances.

But the server isn't responding.

The connection has timed out

The server at lha-direct.therentservice.gov.uk is taking too long to respond.

HOLA4415

This has been happening for years as the poor unfortunate residents of Hasting know only too well as London boroughs dump their undesirables on them.

Similar thing happened on the Marquess Estate in Islington under a Labour government and council when many local council tenants were forced to move to make way for more upmarket development.

Obviously the solution is higher house prices in Hastings, keep those undesirables transported from London away - quick somebody send for Sibley and the Wilsons, Hastings needs them now.

HOLA4416

While everyone bandies around the highly-charged 400 figure, I wanted to know for a fact who actually receives this and under what circumstances.

But the server isn't responding.

LHA by postcode. Start with w1 1aa and work out the entitlement.

I think one of the highest ones said they only had 80 families on the top levels.

so that's ok then. only 80 families taking 104k in rent a year.

HOLA4417
<br />This could turn out to be great for London. Get rid of the scroungers and it might be worth my while to buy a flat there.<br /><br />Are people really against London being cleaner with nicer people in it?<br />

We know what U mean - but who destroyed the country?

Hard working, parasitic > Nice people?

HOLA4418

I have to say I actually used to quite like poor people but recently I have really started to go off of them.

So much so that I moved to Mid Sussex to escape having to look at them. That was always the problem of living in London and then Brighton.