House Price Crash Forum
JimDiGritz

The Boomers Are Pulling Up The Drawbridge

We've all seen retirement developments, however this takes the (shortbread) biscuit

Firhall, Scotland

Households are allowed to have one dog - but controversially no resident children.

To own a house in Firhall you must be over 45 years old.

This does smack of the NIMBY boomer generation who are happy to see their offspring slum it in sub-standard slave boxes, just as long as they get to live in their own peaceful enclave.

Jim

A new twist on "Children should be seen and not heard"

"Children", a new definition, they under 45 rent forever landless f*cks.

We've all seen retirement developments, however this takes the (shortbread) biscuit

Firhall, Scotland

This does smack of the NIMBY boomer generation who are happy to see their offspring slum it in sub-standard slave boxes, just as long as they get to live in their own peaceful enclave.

Jim

Now forgive me, but isn't the wording here a interesting sign of the fact the developers may be struggling to sell.

Round my neck of the woods, every retirement development says "for the over 55s",  the fact that this one says 45 seems to be an attempt to widen the definition and therefore increase the potential set of buyers.

If what you say is true, surely this is idiocy of the highest order? They are just identifying themselves as the first village to be lynchmobbed come the revolution.

In reality, I suspect it's much ado about nothing.

Now forgive me, but isn't the wording here a interesting sign of the fact the developers may be struggling to sell.

Round my neck of the woods, every retirement development says "for the over 55s",  the fact that this one says 45 seems to be an attempt to widen the definition and therefore increase the potential set of buyers.

It's not a retirement complex, only child-free. Sound's like the mutt's nuts to me, wish I could afford a place there, but under offer at a quarter of a mill is a bit steep for me!

http://www.primelocation.com/new-homes/details/id/trfg71101037_74

No under 45's allowed..... hmnn... So we can stop funding their state pension then.    As they want nothing to do with us an all.

Agreed.  I'd be happy to see the state pension abolished, just ask that I have my tax rate cut by 10% in return. That ought to build me a nice retirement fund on top of what I am already saving.

It's been going 4 years and I wish there was one round here. The only noises that completely p**s me off are kids and barking dogs.

There's one for sale but it's over £250k. That sounds a lot for Inverness area.

No under 45's allowed..... hmnn... So we can stop funding their state pension then. As they want nothing to do with us an all.

That's b****it, kids are allowed to visit their parents / grandparents but can only stay 3 weeks max. They pay council tax and their bills like everyone else.

Edited by deflation

There's quite a few nice places around here that specify over 55's or whatever, they show up as I search quite a bit for bungalow's. Weird, I know, but I really fancy a detached flat.

Anyway, my point being, how the hell could they stop you buying/renting such a place? isn't it illegal to speficy that certain groups of society aren't allowed?

What if it said "no blacks" ?

That's b****it, kids are allowed to visit their parents / grandparents but can only stay 3 weeks max. They pay council tax and their bills like everyone else.

You don't seem to understand. We don't want to visit you.

These gated communities are there to protect all of us outside from the old people. 24 hour security on every gate. Shoot to kill if any of the blighters try and escape. ;)

You don't seem to understand. We don't want to visit you.

These gated communities are there to protect all of us outside from the old people. 24 hour security on every gate. Shoot to kill if any of the blighters try and escape. ;)

It isn't gated, they don't need fences or walls either, and when did +45 become old?

I was in error, it opened in 2003, but this article about it is from 2006:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/apr/08/familyandrelationships.family

There's quite a few nice places around here that specify over 55's or whatever, they show up as I search quite a bit for bungalow's. Weird, I know, but I really fancy a detached flat.

Anyway, my point being, how the hell could they stop you buying/renting such a place? isn't it illegal to speficy that certain groups of society aren't allowed?

It started in the USA (like a lot of things :rolleyes: ) In florida, they've apparently started housing projects where you have to be gay. Not sure how you have to prove it......?

That was my thought too. Not sure it's legal to openly advertise that policy. But by the time its gone to Europen Court they will have died of old age anyway.

Guest sillybear2

Aside from a bunch of 20 year olds on the minimum wage to wipe their ar$es.

Live & Let live - I see no problem with like minded people living together - if they choose to restrict their "Buiyer pool" in this way - good luck to em.

But what a miserable place it must be. - I'd rather die than end up the sort of person who derives no pleasure from children.

OI - no sniggerring at the back - you know what I meant!

Edited by sbn

I don't think this particularly denies young people housing - after all, anyone living there frees up a house somewhere else.

However, I'm baffled why that's not age discrimination, when not employing a 45 year old because they're too old is.

But what a miserable place it must be. - I'd rather die than end up the sort of person who derives no pleasure from children.

OI - no sniggerring at the back - you know what I meant!

We don't want no dirty paediatricians round ere' innit

To give kids their due, I doubt any of them would want to spend time around such a bunch of miserable old misopediacs.

Who remembers Logan's Run? Perhaps they had the right idea. :ph34r:

We don't want no dirty paediatricians round ere' innit

If anyone is worried - they could always get some of these

Protection

I know that the etymology is totally correct and they should make allowances for idiots, but still....

You wouldn't call 'em that would you!!!

Edit: Just noticed they market them under a different brand name - still, I bet I could shift a few in Newport

Edited by sbn

To give kids their due, I doubt any of them would want to spend time around such a bunch of miserable old misopediacs.

Exactly I don't understand the resentment either.

Bunch of old people want to live out their senior years in tranquillity.. fine by me. What kind of young people would want to live there anyway :huh:

Edited by libspero