House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pent Up

Take The Rightmove Consumer Confidence Survey

I got an email this morning asking me to take the survey but decided not to as I had a feeling it was spam?

There is no reference to it on their website.

So you had a lack of confidence in the email

I got an email this morning asking me to take the survey but decided not to as I had a feeling it was spam?

I filled it in, suitably bearish :D I never given away my details on sites like that :ph34r: Be interesting to see if it gets published.

It never is on the website. I got this off rightmoves facebook page so it's pretty safe.

Last quarters results:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/news/consumer-confidence-survey/ccs-quarter-2-2010

Key points

The percentage of people feeling it is a good time to buy in the current market has now fallen for the last three consecutive quarters and is the lowest we have ever recorded

Despite the falls, the fact that the majority of people do see it as a good time buy is reflected in Rightmove search activity with record numbers of people home-hunting on the site in Q2 2010

London the only region where less than half (49.3%) of people feel it is a good time to buy

It's interesting to see how confident respondents were in Q1 2010 that house prices would rise, especially outside London and the South-East. More than 50% of people in Wales, the North, and Scotland think that house prices will be higher a year from now than they are today.

Do people really not realise that the gravy-train of public spending has now been de-railed? If public spending makes up more than 60% of economic activity in a region, and that spending is cut by 25% (or 40%), exactly how are house prices going to go up?

It's interesting to see how confident respondents were in Q1 2010 that house prices would rise, especially outside London and the South-East. More than 50% of people in Wales, the North, and Scotland think that house prices will be higher a year from now than they are today.

Do people really not realise that the gravy-train of public spending has now been de-railed? If public spending makes up more than 60% of economic activity in a region, and that spending is cut by 25% (or 40%), exactly how are house prices going to go up?

Its called wishful thinking.

The writing is clearly on the wall about house prices. But people don't see it because they don't want to see it. I guess some would argue you can run that both ways and that its those of us who think house prices are headed downward who are the deluded ones.

Time will tell I guess! ;)

I love this bit.

Despite the falls, the fact that the majority of people do see it as a good time buy is reflected in Rightmove search activity with record numbers of people home-hunting on the site in Q2 2010

It's not people home-hunting, it's people like me watching asking prices reduce steadily in my neighbourhood, or laughing like a drain at the ones where the asking price doesn't reduce and the house stays stubbornly unsold.

Talk about spin.

In the interests of balance, here's what the report actually says:

Thanks. I just picked out the best bit!

This report was actually released in may. I've not noticed it before today. I think next quarters will be very different now the MSM have begun printing negative HPI articles.

I love this bit.

It's not people home-hunting, it's people like me watching asking prices reduce steadily in my neighbourhood, or laughing like a drain at the ones where the asking price doesn't reduce and the house stays stubbornly unsold.

Talk about spin.

I think this is actually people who are either considering selling or having recently listed their properties searching for their area to see what the competition is and what it's priced at etc.

I filled in survey but it would have been easy to have given the impression that I was a housing bull based on the way that the questions were worded. I do think that I may be buying in the next 12 months (one of the questions) but only because I see the houses locally that I am interested in being marked down every month - in another 6 months I could possibly buy one of them outright with cash. Therefore I checked the box that said 'not buying in the next 12 months'.

I think that these surveys are worded to guide people into making the desired responses.