House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Plato Foresaw The Crash

It should then be clear that love of money and adequate self-discipline in its citizens are two things that can’t co-exist in any society; one or the other must be neglected. This neglect and the encouragement of extravagance often reduces to poverty men born for better things. Some of them are in debt, some dis[en]franchised, some both, and they settle down, armed with their stings, and with hatred in their hearts, to plot against those who have deprived them of their property and against the rest of society, and to long for revolution.
Meanwhile the money-makers, bent on their business, don’t appear to notice them, but continue to inject their poisoned loans wherever they can find a victim, and to demand high rates of interest on the sum lent, with the result that the drones and the beggars multiply. Yet even when the evil becomes flagrant they will do nothing to quench it, either by preventing men from disposing of their property as they like, or alternatively by suitable legislation.

Plato wrote about this in his 'Republic'. How come no-one in this age truly foresaw it?

Guest X-QUORK

Plato wrote about this in his 'Republic'. How come no-one in this age truly foresaw it?

Greed clouds judgement.

Thanks for posting that, it's amazingly relevant today. I have this inbuilt prejudice to think of the ancients as some how less sophisticated than us - but it's not true, is it? If anything they had a clarity of thought sorely lacking today.

So Plato's Republic for me, brain food.

Thanks for posting that, it's amazingly relevant today. I have this inbuilt prejudice to think of the ancients as some how less sophisticated than us - but it's not true, is it? If anything they had a clarity of thought sorely lacking today.

So Plato's Republic for me, brain food.

They were exactly the same as us...no evolution there, then.