House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Chiropractors. More Harm Than Good?

Yes, I know I'll probably get sued for libel. Anyway after a few visits to a chiropractor I know seem to have a neck problem I didn't have before. Add to that the neck cracking scared the living b'jaysus out of me.

Anyone got any experience of chiropractors?

My dad went to one with a back problem. Was raving about how good this chap was.

Then it all went wrong, so badly that he had to cancel his holiday.

I get the impression that it's not properly regulated and is a standard career option for thickos who were good at sports and nothing else.

3 friends of mine have used them and they all report that pain relief is short term and the cracking is unpleasant. I could be wrong, but are they licensed and officially trained like physios are?

OK distillation of own experiences and many hockey-playing friends/colleagues a while back.

Find a good physio or a good osteopath(harder to find but miracle workers when they're good).

Chiropractors ok when something is way, way out of place, they'll fix that. Otherwise stay away, they seem to like making cracking noises.

Physio safest option, osteo best though if you find the good one.

Their theory is bizarre, I don't understand it, but osteos seem to be capable of curing the most odd things you wouldn't believe, like asthma.

I reckon you get good ones and bad ones. Just like in anything else. Physios, massage or whatever.

People seem to think all they deal with is backs, whereas they deal with the entire skeleton from head to toe.

The idea that parts of your skeleton may be moved out of place, and need put back into place ? Seems reasonable to me.

As for any other claims - who knows.

You want an Osteopath at least, this advice comes from a licenced Nutritionist and Homeopathist.

Well that's no recommendation then.

If you were a Dietician I might listen.

Oh and this advice comes from a Nutitionist. See, I'm one too and so's my wife. As are all who say they are one too. We are all Nutritionists. It's great isn't it?

Placebo effect - and I don't say that as a dismissive skeptic. I've concluded from my own and others experience that most illness is either partly or entirely emotional so if you get some caring hands placed on you and are told your musculoskeletal system or your energy pathways are being sorted out you may feel a lot better.

Even serious 'biological' illnesses have an emotional component - like people with cancer that start to run marathons. They may or may not recover but for a time they get this huge extra burst of energy - it has to come from somewhere.

Mrs did a holistic massage course and once I had a headache that was so severe that I was almost puking and starting to worry if it was something serious. She did a 10 minute massage and as I lifted my head it was 100% gone. Totally. The worst headache ever gone without so much as an ibuprofen.

I'm in generally good health but get lots of shooting twinges and trapped nerve type pains, muscle aches - but only during the working week. They just don't happen when I'm on hols.

Placebo effect - and I don't say that as a dismissive skeptic. I've concluded from my own and others experience that most illness is either partly or entirely emotional so if you get some caring hands placed on you and are told your musculoskeletal system or your energy pathways are being sorted out you may feel a lot better.

Even serious 'biological' illnesses have an emotional component - like people with cancer that start to run marathons. They may or may not recover but for a time they get this huge extra burst of energy - it has to come from somewhere.

Mrs did a holistic massage course and once I had a headache that was so severe that I was almost puking and starting to worry if it was something serious. She did a 10 minute massage and as I lifted my head it was 100% gone. Totally. The worst headache ever gone without so much as an ibuprofen.

I'm in generally good health but get lots of shooting twinges and trapped nerve type pains, muscle aches - but only during the working week. They just don't happen when I'm on hols.

Sorry to hear that,

But it sounds like you've diagnosed yourself.

Stress?

My friend's worse headache ever was probably when her pituitary gland was being crushed. She took painkillers and went to be for two days and hasn't been right since. She's got cushings I think.

well it worked for me , hurt my back at the gym after a couple weeks of chiropractic the pain went away after constant pain.

poor curvature of the spine can cause back pain , there is no doubt about it.

the problem is though there are two types of chiropractors ; ones who think subluxations can cause all sorts of health problems and the ones who think this is a load of baloney.The first group will entice you to keep going even after your pain has subsided under the guise of curing these other ailments you may be suffering and at the prices they charge they should be brought before a court for fraud in my opinion.

i'm not going to put my head out and say all chiropractors are at the same skill level either , some are obviously better than others.it is luck of the draw.

well it worked for me , hurt my back at the gym after a couple weeks of chiropractic the pain went away after constant pain.

poor curvature of the spine can cause back pain , there is no doubt about it.

the problem is though there are two types of chiropractors ; ones who think subluxations can cause all sorts of health problems and the ones who think this is a load of baloney.The first group will entice you to keep going even after your pain has subsided under the guise of curing these other ailments you may be suffering and at the prices they charge they should be brought before a court for fraud in my opinion.

i'm not going to put my head out and say all chiropractors are at the same skill level either , some are obviously better than others.it is luck of the draw.

Yep I would agree and go to ones that deal with the bones and the bones alone. The ones that do this can be very good. Tell by looking at your feet if you are walking strange, feel around your hips and knees for misalignment. All very useful.

I would love to find a chiro/physio/massuer combined who was very good at all. Not sure if that exists though.

Guest X-QUORK

Yes, in my more naïve days I spent the best part of £1000 on chiropractic trying to sort out a chronic back pain problem. It didn't work.

Once you drill down to the core beliefs (and that is all they are) of chiropractic, you soon realise it's in the same grouping as crystal healing and water dowsing, in other words, complete quackery.

I went for a back problem, and I was asked if I'd suffered emotional trauma as a seven year old during one session...FFS.

Yes, in my more naïve days I spent the best part of £1000 on chiropractic trying to sort out a chronic back pain problem. It didn't work.

Once you drill down to the core beliefs (and that is all they are) of chiropractic, you soon realise it's in the same grouping as crystal healing and water dowsing, in other words, complete quackery.

I went for a back problem, and I was asked if I'd suffered emotional trauma as a seven year old during one session...FFS.

I think you just got a bad one. The one I have visited on a few occasions deals with bones and how they are aligned. This is probably useful for back pain.

Yes, I know I'll probably get sued for libel. Anyway after a few visits to a chiropractor I know seem to have a neck problem I didn't have before. Add to that the neck cracking scared the living b'jaysus out of me.

I didn't make the connection before, but you're the chap trying to do 19 things at once and work full-time with 2 pre-schoolers.

This need for back/neck treatment may just be connected. :rolleyes:

Get a physio.

Safest option, they always seem to do at least some good, and won't do harm.

Once you're better, get out on that board more often, and tell your wife it's necessary for your health!

Guest X-QUORK

I think you just got a bad one. The one I have visited on a few occasions deals with bones and how they are aligned. This is probably useful for back pain.

Oh no, she crunched my bones with gleeful abandon. There's no science behind chiropractic.

I can highly recommend serious deep tissue massage for a multitude of problems. Very often people just ahve tight muscles and releasing the pressure releases the strain on everything surrounding - bones, ligaments, tendons etc..

You have to get a good one though. I have been to many that are ok but you really need to come out feeling like you have been battered. Painful at the time but well worth it.

You will notice that once you go regularly it is nowhere near as painful, because you are keeping on top of it.

I find it interesting that chiropractors seem to point to skeletal manipulation to solve all manner of ills, physios tend to point to exercises to impove strength and flexibility, and deep tissue massuers seem to point to serious massage as the best result. I suppose this makes sense as they are focussing on where their own successes have occured. And of course where their wallet is concerned. :)

However I have noticed one thing - deep tissue massage is the only thing that has been recommended to me from ALL the above. The fact they all agree it can work wonders is a pretty good sign IMO.

Professional sports people get it done all the time, some probably daily. It is clearly for a reason.

Oh no, she crunched my bones with gleeful abandon. There's no science behind chiropractic.

Of course there is ?!

You have an injury or impact or ongoing stress that moves your bones out of the optimum position. Hence someone works over time to get them back in the right position. It is pretty clear cut to me. You seem to have been scarred by your experience !!

Guest X-QUORK

Of course there is ?!

You have an injury or impact or ongoing stress that moves your bones out of the optimum position. Hence someone works over time to get them back in the right position. It is pretty clear cut to me. You seem to have been scarred by your experience !!

Financially scarred, yes, but certainly not helped in any way.

Have a little read about vitalism which chiropractic is based upon, and tell me that isn't quackery.

I can highly recommend serious deep tissue massage for a multitude of problems. Very often people just ahve tight muscles and releasing the pressure releases the strain on everything surrounding - bones, ligaments, tendons etc.

However I have noticed one thing - deep tissue massage is the only thing that has been recommended to me from ALL the above. The fact they all agree it can work wonders is a pretty good sign IMO.

Professional sports people get it done all the time, some probably daily. It is clearly for a reason.

how did you find a good masseuse. is there a way to find a good reputable one. i have scheduled a massage in an aveda salon soon, not sure how good that will be

Financially scarred, yes, but certainly not helped in any way.

Have a little read about vitalism which chiropractic is based upon, and tell me that isn't quackery.

I doubt every chiropractor follows the same route. The one that dealt with me deals with bones and their placement. Nothing more. Surely you agree that could be helpful for many ailments ? As for the other quakery yes it does seem a bit 'out there'.

how did you find a good masseuse. is there a way to find a good reputable one. i have scheduled a massage in an aveda salon soon, not sure how good that will be

Just trial and error. Once you get a good one you won't change. You are unlikley to get a serious deep tissue massage in an Aveda Salon. But then most going there for a massage do not want to come out feeling abused !!

Physio centres will have masseurs who work there. Have a google for your area. Then just phone up and tell them what you want. There will be one massuer who is used more by sports people etc.. They will probably be the more brutal one but also very good at what they do.

The one I go to actually has a warning on the web site about him !!!

http://www.edphysio.com/who.02.php?ID=2

Pavol

Guest X-QUORK

I doubt every chiropractor follows the same route. The one that dealt with me deals with bones and their placement. Nothing more. Surely you agree that could be helpful for many ailments ? As for the other quakery yes it does seem a bit 'out there'.

What an odd viewpoint. More or less, you're saying "Surely you agree that doing something helps?".

Once I see falsifiable evidence that moving bones around helps, and that most medical doctors agree, I'll reconsider.