House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Is Anyone Else As Busy As Me?

OK here's the list:

Full time self employed webmaster / freelance web developer

Work at home - downstairs is wife and 2 pre-schoolers

Studying to complete Biology degree in 2 years

Having to get in 3 weeks work experience for new career over the next 18 months

Trying to maintain basic personal hygiene!

Oh, and there's the hours I spend on here....

OK here's the list:

Not as busy as you probably, but I like to keep projects going constantly in spare time. Either guitar practice, making videos, or some other stuff.

I hear a lot of people just sit there in front of the TV every evening. Never been able to do that.

OK here's the list:

WTF?

Either you have a very very accommodating wife or you're a genius, or both.

WTF?

Either you have a very very accommodating wife or you're a genius, or both.

Nah, my wife thinks she's doing me a favour by letting me do any work! I have the kids for 2 hrs in the morning and put one of them to bed at night. Also spend most of weekends with them. As for genius - previous posts should dissuade from this idea!

Trying?

Given the choice of getting some work done (or possibly some exercise) having a shower is gonna take a back seat! I don't have to deal with clients that often!

OK here's the list:

Yes

Full time job as Database Developer

Travel too and from work 3 hours a day

Run a successful site out side of work which requires constant updating and a large amount of copy to be written

Attend meetings, events and interviews for above site

Trying to become national champion* in my chosen sport which requires a serious amount of dedication and national and international travel

Help a friend out with his business which is related to the site and the sport

Also trying to get another business up and running but at the moment haven't had any time due to the above

I have had literally 1 day off since the start of the year which hasn't been taken up by one of the above activities.

Thinking now that I will have to drop the other business idea as I have no time whatsoever to commit the resources needed to get it finished. It won't make me mega bucks but it is money for old rope if I could ever get it off the ground. So while it would be worthwhile doing it's not worth a sacrifice elsewhere.

All this is only possible as my wife is also good at my chosen sport and we do this together, the fact she does it too means that I see her a lot, if she didn't I wouldn't see her.

Guest X-QUORK

Yes

Full time job as Database Developer

Travel too and from work 3 hours a day

Run a successful site out side of work which requires constant updating and a large amount of copy to be written

Attend meetings, events and interviews for above site

Trying to become national champion* in my chosen sport which requires a serious amount of dedication and national and international travel

Help a friend out with his business which is related to the site and the sport

Also trying to get another business up and running but at the moment haven't had any time due to the above

I have had literally 1 day off since the start of the year which hasn't been taken up by one of the above activities.

Thinking now that I will have to drop the other business idea as I have no time whatsoever to commit the resources needed to get it finished. It won't make me mega bucks but it is money for old rope if I could ever get it off the ground. So while it would be worthwhile doing it's not worth a sacrifice elsewhere.

All this is only possible as my wife is also good at my chosen sport and we do this together, the fact she does it too means that I see her a lot, if she didn't I wouldn't see her.

I have 47 children, 17 jobs, 11 wives, 96 websites and I'm doing a Phd in thermal dynamics.

Now get out of my face.

I have 47 children, 17 jobs, 11 wives, 96 websites and I'm doing a Phd in thermal dynamics.

Now get out of my face.

What's your day job?

I've never been so busy doing nothing, it is really weird. Three months unemployed and I only feel like I have had a long weekend. Starting work again in a couple of weeks and am a bit worried I have not had enough time off, to recharge batteries and detox my brain from the full on last few years.

OK here's the list:

This guy is impressive:

Michael Burry

While a resident doctor, he started analysing stocks, wrote an investor newsletter which was so good he formed a hedge fund, made around 700M on shorting US housing through CDSs (which he created) and only has one eye. Oh and is far out on the autism spectrum.

Frankly I'm not impressed surfer.

Guest X-QUORK

This guy is impressive:

Michael Burry

While a resident doctor, he started analysing stocks, wrote an investor newsletter which was so good he formed a hedge fund, made around 700M on shorting US housing through CDSs (which he created) and only has one eye. Oh and is far out on the autism spectrum.

A major player in the meltdown of global finance.

What a guy.

If there aren't kids in the equation then it doesn't compare! Multiply by factor of 3 if wife cannot contemplate anything beyond babies!

Now get out of my face.

With all that action, I'd say your loins must be a case study in thermal dynamics!

A major player in the meltdown of global finance.

What a guy.

That's a pretty negative Pavlovian response.

There were plenty of people over on the main forum looking for ways to short housing in 2005-07. This guy actually got it together and did it.

The important thing is what he does with his capital now. But whatever he does, someone like you will criticise him.

Jeez, I've never seen so much negativity. :(

Guest X-QUORK

That's a pretty negative Pavlovian response.

There were plenty of people over on the main forum looking for ways to short housing in 2005-07. This guy actually got it together and did it.

The important thing is what he does with his capital now. But whatever he does, someone like you will criticise him.

Jeez, I've never seen so much negativity. :(

Come off it. CDS/CDOs played a massive part in the credit crunch, to think otherwise is to rewrite history.

Come off it. CDS/CDOs played a massive part in the credit crunch, to think otherwise is to rewrite history.

I don't get you at all. The only mitigating factor is that you don't actually understand what Burry did.

Guest X-QUORK

I don't get you at all. The only mitigating factor is that you don't actually understand what Burry did.

I confess I only read through briefly on your link. I took from your post that this guy created the concept of CDSs, though I suspect you mean he created his own CDSs rather than the concept, in which case I might've got the wrong end of the stick.

I remain unashamedly negative about anyone who bought and sold products which they didn't have the first idea about.

Guest X-QUORK

Well, I remain unashamedly negative about anyone who bought and sold products which I didn't have the first idea about.

So there!

I understand that they were so complicated the banks didn't have the first clue as to their real worth.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Guest Skinty

I have 47 children ... 11 wives

What's your day job?

Magician.

Aha, so your wives have a wizard sleeve?

This guy is impressive:

Michael Burry

Frankly I'm not impressed surfer.

I read about him before.

An impressive and independent intellect. It appears to me he simply took advantage of his close-to-autistic nature, no "normal" person would have read the contracts behind the NINJA-loan-backed financial products.

I would assume he's not that likeable, or else all his clients are total tosspots, as he never received a word of thanks from any of them for the money gained, allegedly.

Mind you, if I paid someone to invest my money in stocks and he started investing it in bets against obscure financial products I might be very unhappy as well, even if he won.

Guest X-QUORK

Aha, so your wives have a wizard sleeve?

Are you saying I'm gifted in the trousers department?

Really Skinty, this flirting will have to stop.