House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Women Will Bear Brunt Of Budget Cuts, Says Yvette Cooper

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/04/women-budget-cuts-yvette-cooper

The coalition's financial plans are the "worst for women since the creation of the welfare state" according to an analysis of last month's emergency budget.

As the government warned some departments to prepare for cuts of up to 40%, a study by the House of Commons library on behalf of the shadow welfare secretary, Yvette Cooper, revealed that women will shoulder nearly three-quarters of the burden.

Cooper accused the coalition government of sanctioning a budget whose impact fell disproportionately on women. The gender audit of the budget – structured by Cooper but conducted by the Commons library – showed that more than 70% of the revenue raised from direct tax and benefit changes is to come from female taxpayers.

Of the nearly £8bn net revenue to be raised by the financial year 2014-15, nearly £6bn will be from women and just over £2bn from men. Cooper said the proposed cuts of up to 40% in some departments' budgets, floated by the government at the weekend, would also be likely to disproportionately hit women, who make up a large section of the public sector workforce.

She told the Guardian: "Women are bearing nearly three-quarters of the Tory/ Liberal plans, while men are bearing just a quarter. This is despite the fact that men's income and wealth is still considerably higher than women's.

"Even more significant, this doesn't include the impact of public spending cuts. As women make up more of the public sector workforce they will be more heavily hit by the public sector pay freeze and the projected 600,000 net public sector job losses."

Cooper said that the coalition had failed even on its own criteria, decreasing support for families.

"David Cameron promised the most family-friendly government ever. Yet they have just launched the fiercest attack on family support in the history of the welfare state," she said. "This budget seems to be reaching back to a prewar approach to families. They've cut support for children more savagely than anything else so far, with billions of pounds being cut from child benefit, child tax credits, maternity support and child trust funds."

She said her research showed that women would suffer disproportionately, even beyond the cuts to family benefits.

"Even if you put aside cuts in support for children, women are still more heavily hit," she said. "Women are more affected by the cuts in things like housing benefit, cuts in upratings to the additional pension, public sector pensions or attendance allowances, and they benefit less than men from the increases in the income tax allowances. Even putting children aside, they are hitting women hardest."

After looking at other budgets, she believes only Nigel Lawson's 1988 budget – which abolished top rates of tax and froze child benefit and pensions – comes close in its effect on women.

Or an alternative view is that Labour gave women far bigger tax breaks than could possible be afforded by the state.

Still I'm sure we've really got the money to keep paying for all these benefits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/04/women-budget-cuts-yvette-cooper

Or an alternative view is that Labour gave women far bigger tax breaks than could possible be afforded by the state.

Still I'm sure we've really got the money to keep paying for all these benefits.

What a silly cow. Pretty much everyone under the age of 35 has been taking it from behind for the past 13 years to pay for her former Governments idiot schemes and haemorridging (?sp) of money on stupid expensive policies and rabid house price inflation so she can get tae f&** which her stupid blinkered vote chasing views. Designed purely to get a cheap headline in the Guardian and tug at the heartstrings of left leaning idiots who still cannot their stupid addled Guardian reading minds around the concept that Labour messed up big style.... Grrr....

Where was all her concern for the finances of women during the 10%+ annual increases in house prices which have left couples with children requiring two incomes to afford even the most modest family homes.

Where was all her concern for the finances of women during the 10%+ annual increases in house prices which have left couples with children requiring two incomes to afford even the most modest family homes.

thats the plan

destroy the family unit

debt servitude - people unlikely to protest if they are struggling to keep a roof over their heads

Women themselves should get annoyed at the way idiots like her and Harriet Harman constantly, and in a patronising manner, refer to working women as if they're some sort of disabled, vulnerable minority group whom successfully managing anything beyond applying make-up and shopping is a modern day miracle.

She is right. I have to say that because I laid all this out very clearly before the election on these very pages. When do I get my analyst's fee Ms. Cooper? The interesting thing is when we talk about "swing voters", guess who we are talking about? Hint: not men. Expect to hear a lot about this as time goes on. While I'm congratulating myself for my powers of prognostication, I also predict Mrs Cameron will come to be thought of as a Marie Antoinette-like hate figure, complete with toy business selling overpriced stationary for that Hameau de la reine vibe.

Edited by Cogs

What a silly cow. Pretty much everyone under the age of 35 has been taking it from behind for the past 13 years to pay for her former Governments idiot schemes and haemorridging (?sp) of money on stupid expensive policies and rabid house price inflation so she can get tae f&** which her stupid blinkered vote chasing views. Designed purely to get a cheap headline in the Guardian and tug at the heartstrings of left leaning idiots who still cannot their stupid addled Guardian reading minds around the concept that Labour messed up big style.... Grrr....

Doesn't make her wrong this time. If you are just interested in tribalism though and you think anyone in Westminster cares about you or your interests, then as you were.

Edited by Cogs

Women themselves should get annoyed at the way idiots like her and Harriet Harman constantly, and in a patronising manner, refer to working women as if they're some sort of disabled, vulnerable minority group whom successfully managing anything beyond applying make-up and shopping is a modern day miracle.

Here, here. Yvette Cooper and Harriet Harman should stop their phoney gender war. Both genders are people and that's that. Most times when jobs are lost they are full time bread winner jobs and then if a few are created they tend to be part time jobs more suited to women. Oh, boo hooo, women have all the luck. In fact that's just a result of our lacklustre economy that is so unbalanced it's no surprise it's failing.

Whats her view on women getting the state pension earlier than men?

Or is it just more inane rantings of a rabid feminazi.

True. women live four years longer than men. They should be paid their pension four years later than men. Thats true equality. 65 for men 69 for women

She is right. I have to say that because I laid all this out very clearly before the election on these very pages. When do I get my analyst's fee Ms. Cooper? The interesting thing is when we talk about "swing voters", guess who we are talking about? Hint: not men. Expect to hear a lot about this as time goes on. While I'm congratulating myself for my powers of prognostication, I also predict Mrs Cameron will come to be thought of as a Marie Antoinette-like hate figure, complete with toy business selling overpriced stationary for that Hameau de la reine vibe.

Hmmm. I reckon your French analogy applies to the party that tried to create an absolute state. L'etat, c'est Gordon. The Revolution is seriously misunderstood by lefties.

Speaking as a woman, who gives a f*** what Yvette Cooper says? Along with the rest of the New Labour harridans, she is the kind of woman who gives the rest of us a bad name, and certainly is no spokesperson for anyone.

They will!

I've already told the wife to spend 40% less on shoes and clothes. I only wanted a 20% reduction but she accepted the 40%. "We're in this together" I told her :lol:

I could not listen to her budget response speech it aggravated my tinnitus!

Hey!

Try Lemon Bioflavonoids and Vinpocetine in combination.

I suffer from bouts of tinnitus, this stuff has kept me active (and working) for a good while now.

Is it quack remedy? Does it work? I dont know, but what i do know is, no prescription medicine has EVER worked.

Edited by shindigger

This.

The essence of the problems Britain faces. This has fall out everywhere, from stabbings to indebtedness.

Its what the Daiy Mail would like to print but daren't.

Speaking as a woman, who gives a f*** what Yvette Cooper says? Along with the rest of the New Labour harridans, she is the kind of woman who gives the rest of us a bad name, and certainly is no spokesperson for anyone.

MIND IF I SMOKE??? :)

I must say I find the tories "we are all in this together" approach a far more appealing idea than Cooper's nasty divide and rule the sexes, divide and rule the age groups, any group, you name it and put it into a group and then divide it.

If only the tories were actually able to put the "we" into practice in a reasonably fair way. That's the challenge.