House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

This Topic Is Rubbish

Another possible tax to further knock peoples disposable income.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4193288.stm

Mind you if it stops me seeing Farm Food chav bags blowing in the wind clogging up wee streams et al whilst out enjoying the beautiful countryside I am all for it. Now what to do with the shopping trollies in rivers? :unsure:

Much the same is happening in Oz. We're being encouraged to buy the "green" bags that the supermarkets are selling for about $1 each.

Whether or not it actually benefits the environment is questionable. There's a lot of sums to do - petroleum use, greenhouse gases etc and some of those do come out in favour of single use plastic bags. It's anything but a simple issue.

It makes a nice profit for the supermarkets though. Save on the cost of bags and then charge consumers for the reusable ones.

Mind you if it stops me seeing Farm Food chav bags blowing in the wind clogging up wee streams et al whilst out enjoying the beautiful countryside I am all for it. Now what to do with the shopping trollies in rivers?  :unsure:

I'm actually more concerned by the waste Mandarins blowing about the country side costing the tax payers millions (and I ain't talkin fruit!)

Edited by Elizabeth

Mind you if it stops me seeing Farm Food chav bags blowing in the wind clogging up wee streams et al whilst out enjoying the beautiful countryside I am all for it. Now what to do with the shopping trollies in rivers?  :unsure:

I'm for it. I've just returned from holiday in Ireland, and although it is initially strange not to pick up a plastic bag every time you pop into a shop it doesn't take long to get used to carrying one around with you, or being organised when leaving the house to go shopping.

The no smoking rule in pubs works pretty well too, though I understand there is an increase in litter outside some pubs.

As I understand it carrier bag use ( picking up new ones each time that is ) dropped overnight by around 90%ish as a result of such a tax.

D

Much to the amusement of family and friends I have been slowly building up a 'war chest' of plastic bags in anticipation of this kind of new tax.

I have a walk-in cupboard which is bursting at the seams with them, and I don't always accept them from the retailers when out shopping either.

I aim to avoid paying any such tax for as long as possible.

I may even be able to undercut the retailers and sell them for 9p each on Ebay (free postage, of course).

That's my get rich quick scheme.