House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Cheap Holidays

Looking for a cheap cottage in Devon or Cornwall. for the summer hols.. I'm sure someone on here had some recommendations ... but I have no hope of finding them on the search...

All suggestions welcome :)

Looking for a cheap cottage in Devon or Cornwall. for the summer hols.. I'm sure someone on here had some recommendations ... but I have no hope of finding them on the search...

I've been here several times http://www.northfieldholidays.co.uk/pricelist.html - Borth in Ceredigion. It has a few pubs and a huge sandy beach, great scenery around there and one of the best train rides in the UK on the Cambrian line, Aberystwyth is 10mins away on the train for nightlife/shopping/fishing trips etc. If you go outside of the peak summer season you can get 6-8 people in there for under £300/week.

Go to St Ives in Cornwall. You'll never want to go anywhere else.

Budget accommodation is hard to come by, but I found this:: Flat for two

I've been here several times http://www.northfiel.../pricelist.html - Borth in Ceredigion. It has a few pubs and a huge sandy beach, great scenery around there and one of the best train rides in the UK on the Cambrian line, Aberystwyth is 10mins away on the train for nightlife/shopping/fishing trips etc. If you go outside of the peak summer season you can get 6-8 people in there for under £300/week.

Aberystwyth for nightlife, that made me laugh! It's a lovely part of the country for sure and I'd also recommend it for a holiday but I don't think it's somewhere anyone should go for a good night out. Oh, and avoid the curry house on the pier if it's still there, it's well nasty.

I would seriously look at a static caravan on a nice site. They are fantastic these days.

Cottages are more likely to be jerry-built chalets with damp problems and hideously expensive to boot.

Or for a little extra you can have central heating to boot:

The dark stone of that cottage doesn't look much like anything in Devon or Cornwall. Something further north, maybe.

I would seriously look at a static caravan on a nice site. They are fantastic these days.

Cottages are more likely to be jerry-built chalets with damp problems and hideously expensive to boot.

I find them rather costly, however last year went to one in North Devon; when shared with other couples, a 2 or 3 bedroom static caravan (may be called a "chalet"!!) is quite good value for a holiday. New-ish and clean too.

Aberystwyth for nightlife, that made me laugh! It's a lovely part of the country for sure and I'd also recommend it for a holiday but I don't think it's somewhere anyone should go for a good night out. Oh, and avoid the curry house on the pier if it's still there, it's well nasty.

In comparison with Borth it's huge :lol: Don't think I've ever had a bad night out in Aber, lots of great pubs with liberal closing times. If you want a club there's Pier Pressure but not sure that would suit most HPCers, it's alright if the students are around though. There's not been a curry house on the pier for the last decade so I'm not sure what you are referring to there - perhaps the one on the station?

Nightlife not an urgent need.

Would like to sit and look at the sea for a week - mind you, we're taking a 15 yr old with us probably for his last family holiday - so probably need to ensure wifi or a good mobile signal so he can internet at some point.

(I'm not the internet addict at all, yeah yeah)

You can’t guarantee the weather in the UK

One of the nicest holidays I’ve had in the UK

Was a tour of Devon and Cornwall,

staying each night at a different B&B.

It was a touring holiday, every morning looking

At the map to decide where to go next.

Tiring , clocked up 2,000 miles in one week.

But saw an awful lot of the counties.

Tip: walk into a tourist information centre and ask for local B&Bs

They have them on their books and can’t refuse you when you

Turn up on their door step.

There's not been a curry house on the pier for the last decade so I'm not sure what you are referring to there - perhaps the one on the station?

No, that's the one, it was about 10 years ago that I last went there. It was a truly horrid curry house too! I had some really good food in Aber too I should add.