House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Anyone Find The Older Generation Depressing?

Well being in my 30s - I find having conversations with my parents generation depressing - they have such a sense smugness and arrogance that of they know everything, they have done everything, they have been everywhere, that there is sense of invevitability about your life , and that they know exactly where your life is headed, there not willing to accept you can change you can get better, you can improve - they look at your life through their own eyes - there not willing to accept that you might not want to have the same life as them, or you have different way of looking at the world than them.

Find now in my 30s - I can get on with people in their 20s more they have more of a sense of the real world, there is a more optimism from them, not having a sense of the future is set in stone and there is no point trying at anything but just trying to get by, and to my own age or slighly older to a point, but even then the smug know it allism starts to come out.

For example talking to the older generation about- try telling them about the reality of corporate life (lots of politics, chaos, crappy management, job insecurity etc) - and they will come out with something "Oh just Stick at it" or "Just keep your head down" - its like they don't live in the real world, I find them hard to understand. Maybe its not an age thing, and you get this type attitude in people of all ages. Maybe we all do it to people who ar younger than us.

Well being in my 30s - I find having conversations with my parents generation depressing - they have such a sense smugness and arrogance that of they know everything, they have done everything, they have been everywhere, that there is sense of invevitability about your life , and that they know exactly where your life is headed, there not willing to accept you can change you can get better, you can improve - they look at your life through their own eyes - there not willing to accept that you might not want to have the same life as them, or you have different way of looking at the world than them.

Find now in my 30s - I can get on with people in their 20s more they have more of a sense of the real world, there is a more optimism from them, not having a sense of the future is set in stone and there is no point trying at anything but just trying to get by, and to my own age or slighly older to a point, but even then the smug know it allism starts to come out.

For example talking to the older generation about- try telling them about the reality of corporate life (lots of politics, chaos, crappy management, job insecurity etc) - and they will come out with something "Oh just Stick at it" or "Just keep your head down" - its like they don't live in the real world, I find them hard to understand. Maybe its not an age thing, and you get this type attitude in people of all ages. Maybe we all do it to people who ar younger than us.

They call this the generation gap. There you are I'm telling you something. I'm not much like how you describe. I'm into empowerment, change and all for revolution. I want everyone to have a home of there own. I don't care if the value drops. I would like to see more job share for older people and let the young earn them selves a decent living. I believe in Euphenasia (if thats how it's spelt).

I get this impression of some of them but not others. I also know plenty of smug 20 and 30-somethings (usually the ones with car and huge mortgage and kids - and in the office the latest which I find bizarre).

I get this impression of some of them but not others. I also know plenty of smug 20 and 30-somethings (usually the ones with car and huge mortgage and kids - and in the office the latest which I find bizarre).

Yeah I guess you right there, its not just the oldies - you get a similar mentality from people my age as well - its like there old before there time, there desperately trying to be more mature than everyone else, like who can be the most boring. Yeah and your point having cars and big mortgage - its all maintained by trying to outwork/competition with everyone else because if they lose their job they are screwed

I find my parents generation, I'm 43 years old, appalling.

Not all by any means. Some are great, some were wonderful, like my own dear mum and dad but most ..... ewww peuk.

The OP talks about their smug arrogance.

Well as is usually the case with people of that ilk there is a flip side, vicious backbiting jealousy.

If it just so happens that you may be fortunate enough to plough a different furrow, not to work at some career from the age of 20 to the age of 60, which they had to convince themselves was interesting and noble and worthwhile, all the more so the more prosaic it really was, which it really was, they hate it.

They hate it with a bilious passion that outstrips any attachment to manners or reasonableness or generosity.

Oh they can be smug to anyone left behind when they pulled the ladder up.

But if anyone managed to dash up the back stairs before they bolted that door and bag one of the tastier cabins on the deck above them..... ooh they don't like that.

If it just so happens that you may be fortunate enough to plough a different furrow, not to work at some career from the age of 20 to the age of 60, which they had to convince themselves was interesting and noble and worthwhile, all the more so the more prosaic it really was, which it really was, they hate it.

They hate it with a bilious passion that outstrips any attachment to manners or reasonableness or generosity.

Oh they can be smug to anyone left behind when they pulled the ladder up.

But if anyone managed to dash up the back stairs before they bolted that door and bag one of the tastier cabins on the deck above them..... ooh they don't like that.

Yeah exactly this is the point - many of them stuck in dull jobs for 40 years - and they haven't got the guts to admit that there just boring and they got no other options -- therefore anyone who does not see the world from their point of view they hate.

Another one you get from the oldies - they constantly try to say "get on the property ladder", its they only way you will make money - but then try buying lots of properties or going to buy to let - and then the jealousy comes out since your making more than them.

There constantly trying to push the youth on the property ladder, and into boring careers - but try making too much money from property or earning more than them - and suddenly the envy comes out.

Yeah I guess you right there, its not just the oldies - you get a similar mentality from people my age as well - its like there old before there time, there desperately trying to be more mature than everyone else, like who can be the most boring. Yeah and your point having cars and big mortgage - its all maintained by trying to outwork/competition with everyone else because if they lose their job they are screwed

ity does indeed depend on the individual

from David Willett's spiel on babyboomers - in the 70s 20-somethings earned same as 50-somethings, now they hearn half of 50-somethings

fact was, for your parents' generation - if you stuck at it you were richly rewarded early on in life, whereas now you are socially devalued unless you sing the generational suicide song of huge mortgage - which earlier gens like because it is ego-sympathetic with their dreams of huge housing wealth for doing very little and never innovating or questioning, you have to pay, in other words, they fancifully pretend it was ever thus.

I think there is a point worth making about the 20 - 30 somethings behaving badly.

They are young.

The young are entitled to their errors and mistakes.

The hope is that by the time you get to your late 60's - 70's you've learnt some wisdom.

Fat hope with most of the current lot, seems to me.

Guest happy?

Well being in my 30s - I find having conversations with my parents generation depressing - they have such a sense smugness and arrogance that of they know everything, they have done everything, they have been everywhere, that there is sense of invevitability about your life , and that they know exactly where your life is headed, there not willing to accept you can change you can get better, you can improve - they look at your life through their own eyes - there not willing to accept that you might not want to have the same life as them, or you have different way of looking at the world than them.....

I can remember thinking just like that when I was your age.

As an aside, what's it like to have David Willetts repudiating in practice everything he put in his book?

I find that the older generation are vastly more racist & xenophobic compared to those in their 20s & 30s. I find the younger generation much more open minded and tolerant..

Guest Mrs Bradley

ity does indeed depend on the individual

from David Willett's spiel on babyboomers - in the 70s 20-somethings earned same as 50-somethings, now they hearn half of 50-somethings

fact was, for your parents' generation - if you stuck at it you were richly rewarded early on in life, whereas now you are socially devalued unless you sing the generational suicide song of huge mortgage - which earlier gens like, because it is ego-sympathetic with their dreams of huge housing wealth for doing very little and never innovating or questioning, you have to pay, in other words, they fancifully pretend it was ever thus.

Who are they?

What do they fancifully pretend was ever thus?

I think it isn't so much a question even of generation - tho' I DO acknowledge a generation gap in some things: I think it boils down to values you were reared with and level of intelligence. As people are mostly stupid, then whatever their generation they will suffer from fanciful notions.

One of the younger gen. delusions being, that older people welcome high house prices 'cos they imagine it makes them rich. Not when they have degree level mathematics under their belt they don't.wink.gif

Is it a generational thing? I'm sure the oldies on here are self selected contrarians in some way. I'm in my mid-fifties. What I'm not telling my kids is how to live their lives - certainly not to settle down!

Most people don't think at all, lots of people think that their lives are typical and what happened to them is what will happen for everyone else, and lots of people have had their brains destroyed by reading the Daily Mail every day (if they read the Daily Express, as my Mum did, there is really no hope).

One benefit of being old is that you were younger once - and should remember what it felt like. If you are young, you don't know what it will feel like to be older. My parents thought I'd have a better/easier life than them, I don't think my kids will have a better/easier life than me - and that's sad.

Sh!t - I just read that back & it reads like patronising guff - so you were probably right after all ;) .

Guest Mrs Bradley

Is it a generational thing? I'm sure the oldies on here are self selected contrarians in some way. I'm in my mid-fifties. What I'm not telling my kids is how to live their lives - certainly not to settle down!

Most people don't think at all, lots of people think that their lives are typical and what happened to them is what will happen for everyone else, and lots of people have had their brains destroyed by reading the Daily Mail every day (if they read the Daily Express, as my Mum did, there is really no hope).

One benefit of being old is that you were younger once - and should remember what it felt like. If you are young, you don't know what it will feel like to be older. My parents thought I'd have a better/easier life than them, I don't think my kids will have a better/easier life than me - and that's sad.

Sh!t - I just read that back & it reads like patronising guff - so you were probably right after all wink.gif .

I agree with this. It is important to keep in touch with how it felt to be young. Being nostalgic, I find this easy!tongue.gif

I did not find this post patronising, but then I am an oldie too!biggrin.gif

I agree with this. It is important to keep in touch with how it felt to be young. Being nostalgic, I find this easy!tongue.gif

I did not find this post patronising, but then I am an oldie too!biggrin.gif

We need to live for the future and the hear and now - not thinking everything was better when you were younger - Like for example listening music, and ideas etc from the 90s in my own case - ok not that long ago - but you can imagine me listening to oasis in 2020 - oh yeah music never got better. I am terrible for thinking back about being a bit younger

The problem is as we get older, everything we do and relate to older memories, we have more experiences, a bigger mental map - we think were smarter than were say 10 yrs ago, but were just the same with more experiences to relate to - perhaps being younger means your living in the moment more - less thinking, and more living in the hear and now...

Guest theboltonfury

We need to live for the future and the hear and now - not thinking everything was better when you were younger - Like for example listening music, and ideas etc from the 90s in my own case - ok not that long ago - but you can imagine me listening to oasis in 2020 - oh yeah music never got better. I am terrible for thinking back about being a bit younger

The problem is as we get older, everything we do and relate to older memories, we have more experiences, a bigger mental map - we think were smarter than were say 10 yrs ago, but were just the same with more experiences to relate to - perhaps being younger means your living in the moment more - less thinking, and more living in the hear and now...

My old man has hit 60 and turned into an insufferable miserable old *******. Literally, he hates everything. You'll probably find him on the main forum.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

You misunderstand my meaning. I don't necessarily mean I think back to how glorious it was in the olden days, but you are at odds here too.

You reckon that oldies think their youth was better etc. but then that is what you embittered young uns keep saying... " How easy" etc. it all was, without ever knowing what it was like.

I think my youth was more carefree than yours is, but we had less materially - for the most part.

It is only the heinous actions of a negligent govt and greedy bankers in the last, say, 14 years that has rendered you all paupers. Most of the older gen had nowt to do with it. I certainly didn't as I lived in the same house for decades and only sold up to retire in the country and downsize. I have not benefitted from someone's downfall, other than by necessity. I can scarcely sell my house for what I bought it for, all those years ago, else I'd be homeless, and I sold my house at almost 20% off going price, so did not ramp up.

Thirdly I downsized so some family could have my house.

As to the dreadful situation of mortgages with huge multiples of joint salaries - as averse to 3 times the breadwinner's salary, in my youth - put that down to a greedy banking sector and property developers out of control.

It is only the heinous actions of a negligent govt and greedy bankers in the last, say, 14 years that has rendered you all paupers. Most of the older gen had nowt to do with it. I certainly didn't as I lived in the same house for decades and only sold up to retire in the country and downsize. I have not benefitted from someone's downfall, other than by necessity. I can scarcely sell my house for what I bought it for, all those years ago, else I'd be homeless, and I sold my house at almost 20% off going price, so did not ramp up.

I'm not suggesting this is YOU - but fact remains that the older gens - or the majority - failed to stand up to the govt/bank cartel over those 14yrs. providing they weren't inconvenienced there was scant forward thinking , certainly didn't think of the future when voting

Guest happy?

I'm not suggesting this is YOU - but fact remains that the older gens - or the majority - failed to stand up to the govt/bank cartel over those 14yrs. providing they weren't inconvenienced there was scant forward thinking , certainly didn't think of the future when voting

It wasn't fourteen years - it's been a thirty-five year run of neo-con market liberalisation in both the US and UK.

Fail.

Lets see, 2010 minus 1976, I make that 34.

So call it 35, I agree with the 35 number.

It began in the Uk with the response to the 1976 sterling crisis, IMF bail out and all that, no?

Wasn't the only time we moved away from it Major's flirtation with the ERM?

That didn't end well.

Oh dear.

It's going like the main whatever it's called.

I can scarcely sell my house for what I bought it for, all those years ago, else I'd be homeless, and I sold my house at almost 20% off going price, so did not ramp up.

Thirdly I downsized so some family could have my house.

That is a very interesting claim.

Do you mean you sold your house for 20% less than the previous peak?

Do you mean at the time that you sold the only offer on the table was 20% less than 'the going rate'?

Do you mean that you had an offer from a young family and then decided to phone them up and knock 20% off the agreed price out of the goodness of your heart?

Do you mean that you had a number of offers on the table and you decided to accept the offer from the young family even though it was 20% lower than the best offer you had received purely because of the goodness of your heart and not because the better offer had a huge chain waiting to complete?

Although it was on Labour's watch that all the nuts were removed from the bolts on the wheels so they fell off .

Interestingly Brown at 59 and Blair at 57 are a tad younger than the people I'm talking about but probably slap bang in the OP's target group.

If only John Smith, who would be about 72 now if he hadn't died, hadn't died ....... I shall refrain from speaking badly about the dead.

The quick in this target group give me a target rich environment.

That is a very interesting claim.

Do you mean you sold your house for 20% less than the previous peak?

Do you mean at the time that you sold the only offer on the table was 20% less than 'the going rate'?

Do you mean that you had an offer from a young family and then decided to phone them up and knock 20% off the agreed price out of the goodness of your heart?

Do you mean that you had a number of offers on the table and you decided to accept the offer from the young family even though it was 20% lower than the best offer you had received purely because of the goodness of your heart and not because the better offer had a huge chain waiting to complete?

I sold at 20% off the going price as it was the only game in town. Other houses around and about where I lived stuck to their asking price and 3 years later, those who would not drop, are still there.ph34r.gif Some just can't seem to catch on that houses are set to drop.

I bowed to the ebb and flow of prices, Sadly many don't, having a fanatical belief in their own entitlement to get a lot of money for their house. As it was, over the years I had done more to my house in improvements than most of the previous sellers in my road, yet they got more than I did. Mind you the area had lost its popularity over the years, for a variety of reasons, so we went from being a highly desirable area to one which was less so.

My intention in my original account on here was to show that I took no part in this debacle of HPI, having lived in the same house for decades, and never having had more than one dwelling at a time....or one car, for that matter.

I rather dislike disgruntled bods systematically having a pop at me 'cos they can't get a house. Neither can my son, but he has better manners and more respect for his parents than to infer that any of this is our fault.

I mentioned downsizing as some miserable Bs on here are always carping on about old folk who won't downsize and give families a chance of a family-sized house. I was pointing out that I don't need prising out of a dwelling.

Common sense dictated what to do as regards size of dwelling, now the nest is empty.

I am not keen on your use of the word "claim" in relation to my account, either.

I am not keen on your use of the word "claim" in relation to my account, either.

My apologies, your post could be read two ways:

1. I accepted the reality of the market.

2. I am a wonderful generous person who in an amazing act of generous and selfless charity gave up the vast profit that were rightly mine for the next generation to be able to continue the species.

I was just looking for clarification that it was market conditions and not generosity. ;)

My apologies, your post could be read two ways:

1. I accepted the reality of the market.

2. I am a wonderful generous person who in an amazing act of generous and selfless charity gave up the vast profit that were rightly mine for the next generation to be able to continue the species.

I was just looking for clarification that it was market conditions and not generosity. wink.gif

I never believe that profits are rightfully anybody's, in such matters as house prices.dry.gif I don't much care for losing money on improvements that I don't get back, when those who have done the equivalent of not MOT-ing their house for years get top whack, just'cos they throw a bit of paint at it - at the 11th hour - and hire posh furniture to show it off whilst they sell it.

Some folk who pay a lot for a house deserve to get rooked. They keep the prices up too, but I guess that does not sit well with the Younger gen. who have to be able to blame Mum and Dad for everything.

Guest anorthosite

I never believe that profits are rightfully anybody's, in such matters as house prices.dry.gif I don't much care for losing money on improvements that I don't get back, when those who have done the equivalent of not MOT-ing their house for years get top whack, just'cos they throw a bit of paint at it - at the 11th hour - and hire posh furniture to show it off whilst they sell it.

Some folk who pay a lot for a house deserve to get rooked. They keep the prices up too, but I guess that does not sit well with the Younger gen. who have to be able to blame Mum and Dad for everything.

While your new name is an accurate description of you, the avatar is a little scary :unsure: