House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

Getting Rid Of Car Quickly

The missus and I have decided to get rid of the car as it costs 200 quid a month we could better spend on decent family bikes and public transport (we live in London). We just got the latest insurance quote and thought - is it worth it?

It's a 2003 renault megane scenic, 5 door, a bit battered (lot of scratches, one small dent), but has full service history and 51K miles otc - any advice on the best way to get a quick sale and maximise money realised? I tried webuyanycar, but they only offered 900 quid - is that a good deal, and where could I get better?

Guest theboltonfury

The missus and I have decided to get rid of the car as it costs 200 quid a month we could better spend on decent family bikes and public transport (we live in London). We just got the latest insurance quote and thought - is it worth it?

It's a 2003 renault megane scenic, 5 door, a bit battered (lot of scratches, one small dent), but has full service history and 51K miles otc - any advice on the best way to get a quick sale and maximise money realised? I tried webuyanycar, but they only offered 900 quid - is that a good deal, and where could I get better?

Webuyanycar offered me £700 for my Laguna. Same year, 91k, 2 dents and scratches. I don't want to sell it. It's so bad, it's good.

To be honest, for cars like these, you'd need to sell privately and hope you get a mug and you might get just over a grand.

Webuyanycar offered me £700 for my Laguna. Same year, 91k, 2 dents and scratches. I don't want to sell it. It's so bad, it's good.

To be honest, for cars like these, you'd need to sell privately and hope you get a mug and you might get just over a grand.

I thought scrap would be more than that?

Right, just too old and too scratched to re-sell seriously then?

I'd like to keep it in the bag, but road tax and insurance means it's hardly worth it.

Find a comparable to price it right. Wash it, wax it, hoover it, and photograph it inside and out.

Then list as (classified maybe) on Ebay, Autotrader, Friday-Ad, Preloved, Trade-it etc all in one go. Have all the photos ready to email out to interested parties saves them and you hassle and waste of time - take particualr ohotos of the defects - shows you are being up front.

Should be gone within the week if you have priced it right.

I thought scrap would be more than that?

Right, just too old and too scratched to re-sell seriously then?

I'd like to keep it in the bag, but road tax and insurance means it's hardly worth it.

Can you just SORN it for a while? It's not like it's going to lose much in the way of depreciation. Just need to stop it seizing up.

I sold my car back the main dealer I bought it off when I moved to Canada earlier this year. I got somewhere between the webuyanycar.com price and what I think it would have gone for privately. It was a similar age and type to what you're describing so I was surprised that they were interested. Private sales are a hassle for a load of reasons but the problem of getting paid with something other than forged bank notes, a fake banker's draft or a cheque that takes a month to bounce is a major one unless you know and trust the person you're selling to.

Seven year old cars are worth chuff all unless they are rare or unique. You might get a bit more in a private sale, but if you want done with it, take the £900.

On the flip side, if you want cheap motoring, seven year old cars are a good, reliable way to get cheap motoring.

Sellers want £1000 for cat d salvage similar. Up to £3000 for good condition low mileage classified - well OTT for private.

I would have thought £1450 with haggle room might be about right - after all it does have full service history and if mechanically ok should still be a reasonable runner with that mileage - good practical family car - advertise it as such.

Scrappage have taken loads of cheap stock off the market and hardned the prices across the board.

Edit - London so add Gumtree to the list of freebie advertising routes (think it is free).

May as well put it on Ebay, at £1,500 and see where it goes. I've heard many stories but once you know the most

recent scams it's not that hard to do.

Offer the chance to view instead of saying sold as seen because the law is slightly different. I read SAS means nothing

but the chance to view goods does because internet auctions are different to adverts in the paper.

Dealers will call up offering cash £1,500 or £1,300 if the bidding goes higher they will offer that

as well as collection in under 5 hours and full payment as well.

When they arrive they offer 50% or less saying the car wasn't what they thought, most people faced

with a cash buyer sitting in the car ready to leave will cave in for 30% off or maybe more. Fast way

to make money because you can see the cars and grab any bargains and dismiss the rest or

offer 90% less than asking.

May as well put it on Ebay, at £1,500 and see where it goes. I've heard many stories but once you know the most

recent scams it's not that hard to do.

Offer the chance to view instead of saying sold as seen because the law is slightly different. I read SAS means nothing

but the chance to view goods does because internet auctions are different to adverts in the paper.

Dealers will call up offering cash £1,500 or £1,300 if the bidding goes higher they will offer that

as well as collection in under 5 hours and full payment as well.

When they arrive they offer 50% or less saying the car wasn't what they thought, most people faced

with a cash buyer sitting in the car ready to leave will cave in for 30% off or maybe more. Fast way

to make money because you can see the cars and grab any bargains and dismiss the rest or

offer 90% less than asking.

Problem with Ebay is for quick clearance I get the feeling that a lot of car sales fall through - last minute bid wins but the buyer has n0t actually come along and seen the car or never bothers to come at all - result another lost week and relisting. Hence why suggesting classfied ad - first to view and cough up gets it. I got loads of calls when I sold my last vehicle - but amazed how few wanted to actually come and see it - in the end first viewer bought it immediately.

Problem with Ebay is for quick clearance I get the feeling that a lot of car sales fall through - last minute bid wins but the buyer has n0t actually come along and seen the car or never bothers to come at all - result another lost week and relisting. Hence why suggesting classfied ad - first to view and cough up gets it. I got loads of calls when I sold my last vehicle - but amazed how few wanted to actually come and see it - in the end first viewer bought it immediately.

Classfied ads might be better for a solid sale but Ebay people tend to pay more , sometimes thousands more than a new car. If they can manage

to turn up and actually pay without getting buyers remorse.

Classfied ads might be better for a solid sale but Ebay people tend to pay more , sometimes thousands more than a new car. If they can manage

to turn up and actually pay without getting buyers remorse.

Still amazes me how much stuff is still on offer (and apparently selling) for more than high street or other web suppliers - mad isn't it. I think unexceptional cars though it is a little more hit and miss. Getting people to turn up is the key - the words "any trial" might help - as long it is not a concours entry. :lol:

Find a comparable to price it right. Wash it, wax it, hoover it, and photograph it inside and out.

Then list as (classified maybe) on Ebay, Autotrader, Friday-Ad, Preloved, Trade-it etc all in one go. Have all the photos ready to email out to interested parties saves them and you hassle and waste of time - take particualr ohotos of the defects - shows you are being up front.

Should be gone within the week if you have priced it right.

Some very good advise from OnlyMe here. Only to add you could take a short video with your mobile and upload to YouTube. I've not sure of the results but I know some US dealers doing this as well as uploading high res pics up to Google Picasa. I've even heard of US Realtors doing well on Youtube. Indeed if I were a propertly letting person or estate agent or car dealer I'd put all my stock on the Social Networking sites (and Facebook). If you use Picasa you can watermark your pics en mass with your Autotrader/Ebay//CraigsList/Gumtree offer.

Some very good advise from OnlyMe here. Only to add you could take a short video with your mobile and upload to YouTube. I've not sure of the results but I know some US dealers doing this as well as uploading high res pics up to Google Picasa. I've even heard of US Realtors doing well on Youtube. Indeed if I were a propertly letting person or estate agent or car dealer I'd put all my stock on the Social Networking sites (and Facebook). If you use Picasa you can watermark your pics en mass with your Autotrader/Ebay//CraigsList/Gumtree offer.

Never thought about the vid - like that one, even if you don't get direct exposure from the Youtube entry you can still refer potential customers to it.

Ebay starting price £950, or buy it now £1300.......hope for the best. ;)

Never thought about the vid - like that one, even if you don't get direct exposure from the Youtube entry you can still refer potential customers to it.

I find virtually any video on YT gets views. I had some crap/weird video's get more "views" than whole websites I've built. Whether these are cash in hand buyers is another matter of course. Yes you could reverse and just host video and pics on the social networking pic and video sites. A video doesn't have to be a video of course, just a series of stills dumped into Windows Movie Maker.

FWIW, use the online Autotrader.

I just have, and have sold a rather nice automobile for quite a few £K.

Read their tips to sell.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

Looks like a quick sale to a pro buyer is the way forward. Can't be 4rsed to take the risk and deal with the hassle for a couple hundred extra quid.

I'll be glad to get rid of it; I hate cars ;-) With two toddlers you're pretty stuck without one tho.