House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

Bindweed

I've had an ongoing battle with bindweed in our garden for years. I generally try to pull it out by its roots, but have also tried spot treatments with glyphosate and even painting glyphosate onto leaves they tying in a plastic bag to allow the roots to die. I can't get on top of it though. I've a walled garden, a walled kitchen garden and terraced beds and think the bindweed roots are actually in the brickwork of the walls. So I just keep going and spend a little time every evening pulling bindweed roots. I could do so much more with the garden though if I wasn't spending all that time on that one task.

Any of you gardeners out there got any experience or solutions for this?

I've got some that I can't get right to the base of to deal with. I settle for pulling as much out as I can every year and not letting it get ahead of me.

Do what my neighbour does and use a flamethrower.

Don't do what my neighbour did and set your hedge on fire as you go, and keep going without noticing as it starts going up nicely behind you until I shout over "You've set your hedge on fire."

My dad says you have to dig it up completely. If you leave any bits of root that are 'long enough to have two ends' then it will grow back.

In a previous house we had to dig up about a foot of earth to get it out. It mostly went.

My dad says you have to dig it up completely. If you leave any bits of root that are 'long enough to have two ends' then it will grow back.

In a previous house we had to dig up about a foot of earth to get it out. It mostly went.

Eat it. Black Bindweed seeds are edible.

Another tip for the tfh boys ;)

I would agree dig deep and pick out as much of the roots as you can...the same as ground elder, you only have to leave in a small piece of root for it to sprout and create a new plant...tumbleweed was good you could paint it on the leaf and it would kill the root system but many of these effective weed killers are now banned.

Note: this is hardly a definitive answer.

Last year our (tiny) garden was a constant battle against bindweed. Then during the winter I double dug the lot to spread compost, at the same time I carefully ripped out all the bindweed roots (there's so much of it!).

So far, the problem is much reduced this season. Keep fingers crossed, it'll be even less next year...

Guest happy?

I've had an ongoing battle with bindweed in our garden for years. I generally try to pull it out by its roots, but have also tried spot treatments with glyphosate and even painting glyphosate onto leaves they tying in a plastic bag to allow the roots to die. I can't get on top of it though. I've a walled garden, a walled kitchen garden and terraced beds and think the bindweed roots are actually in the brickwork of the walls. So I just keep going and spend a little time every evening pulling bindweed roots. I could do so much more with the garden though if I wasn't spending all that time on that one task.

Any of you gardeners out there got any experience or solutions for this?

There are two proven solutions:- agent orange or sell your house.

Everything else is about controlling it to a greater or lesser extent.

Yes, when I had a garden with it, I kind of got used to it - with the odd banzai attack. I'm not into chemicals.

I'm not either - the glyphosate was a last resort and only in the flower gardens, not the kitchen garden which is all organic. Having said that, I may try the tip on your link - thanks for posting it.

This made me smile - I sold a house in London years ago because of the ground elder... just couldn't live with it any longer. You seem to spend so much time battling with one weed, rather than making any real headway in your garden. Life's too short.

Bindweed? That's not a problem.

Horsetail, now there's a problem. If you've got that in your garden then you'll know why it predates the dinosaurs.