House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest KingCharles1st

What Would You Do If The Internet Blew Up- And Died?

Guest KingCharles1st

How would you survive?

No Ebay, no HPC, no-

well what else would you notice by it's absence?

Could you endure living without the web?

I for one would miss Anorthosite and the other cheeky chaps on here- :)

How would you survive?

No Ebay, no HPC, no-

I have already survived this scenario. I was alive before 1997, the year I was "jacked into the matrix".

Seriously, although I don't think the internet is going to blow up and die, many of our favourite sites might do. Imagine the consequences if a popular game or virtual world site came to an end. People would be distrought - in the same way as when a soap opera or popular TV show ends. If something like World of Warcraft ended, I think there would be a few suicides as a result.

How would you survive?

No Ebay, no HPC, no-

might have to go 'outside' i guess

I'd listen to radio programmes when they were actually broadcast and read more.

I would know more people locally.

I would go back to some old hobbies.

I would have to take the day off rather than working from home when I get my car serviced.

However:

I would know less about many subjects.

I would miss out on a lot of interesting and funny conversations.

I would have to buy a lot more reference books.

Unlike the TV, which I wish had never been invented, I have mixed opinions on the net.

Speaking of which, I seem to be getting Sunday morning withrawal symptoms from Clarkson and I miss Parris too.

So how/where does one find their articles without paying Murdoch (which is anathema)?

My car needs a clean!

Hmm, seeing as how I count myself lucky these days if there is more than an hour of TV programming a week that I want to watch, I'd probably have to get on and clean the house. Then see about having lots more sex. Perhaps I could combine the two activities?

Probably read a lot more and burn a lot of petrol seeing mates.

No I wouldn't be here to be honest, if it wasn't for the net and humour of HPC I would have probably been discovered swinging from the light fitting at work such was the mind-crushing, craptacular tedium of working there.

Seriously, although I don't think the internet is going to blow up and die, many of our favourite sites might do. Imagine the consequences if a popular game or virtual world site came to an end. People would be distrought - in the same way as when a soap opera or popular TV show ends. If something like World of Warcraft ended, I think there would be a few suicides as a result.

I used to post on the Dawkins forums, that disappeared overnight to apoplectic outrage. It was interesting that Richard Dawkins couldn't understand the venomous hatred directed at him for just shutting down the forums without telling anyone.

In a couple of generations I predict that such things will seen as the equivalent of book burning and the Digital Economy Bill will be looked at as an act of pure ludditism.

A forum is bad enough and I think you are right about World of Warcraft, a lot of scarily obsessed people would top themselves.

I used to post on the Dawkins forums, that disappeared overnight to apoplectic outrage. It was interesting that Richard Dawkins couldn't understand the venomous hatred directed at him for just shutting down the forums without telling anyone.

In a couple of generations I predict that such things will seen as the equivalent of book burning and the Digital Economy Bill will be looked at as an act of pure ludditism.

A forum is bad enough and I think you are right about World of Warcraft, a lot of scarily obsessed people would top themselves.

Terrifying.

You had vid screens, cameras, lottery and football obsession in 1984, and the equivalent of the internet in "The Machine Stops", but I can't think of anybody predicting that some online Swords and Sorcery game would take over peoples' lives. And I have read that some "Second Life" players spend 14 hours a day in that world. That's just wrong.

Guest portwinestain

How would you survive?

No Ebay, no HPC, no-

What?

Like the Twin Towers you mean?

twin%20towers%20slide.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaF059BQCY

51C13V621BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

only joking

Terrifying.

You had vid screens, cameras, lottery and football obsession in 1984, and the equivalent of the internet in "The Machine Stops", but I can't think of anybody predicting that some online Swords and Sorcery game would take over peoples' lives. And I have read that some "Second Life" players spend 14 hours a day in that world. That's just wrong.

You would be quite surprised at gaming culture if you don't know a lot about it.

For instance when Call of Duty came out a few months ago, a friend of mine who heads a research department took a week off work to play it non stop for a week with a barrister and two coppers.

If you look at an online game like Eve Online it is quite a regular occurrence for people to engage in battles that last a week and involve a couple of thousand people at anyone time. Some more fanatical types will stay 23 hours without a break until the one hour day server closure and take stimulants to stay awake for several days.

For all this talk of making people dig holes and fill them in again for their benefits, it would be much cheaper to make them dig virtual holes online :)

Guest anorthosite

You'll be alright. I'm sure Knight Rider & Baywatch are available on DVD ;)

You would be quite surprised at gaming culture if you don't know a lot about it.

For instance when Call of Duty came out a few months ago, a friend of mine who heads a research department took a week off work to play it non stop for a week with a barrister and two coppers.

If you look at an online game like Eve Online it is quite a regular occurrence for people to engage in battles that last a week and involve a couple of thousand people at anyone time. Some more fanatical types will stay 23 hours without a break until the one hour day server closure and take stimulants to stay awake for several days.

For all this talk of making people dig holes and fill them in again for their benefits, it would be much cheaper to make them dig virtual holes online :)

For some people it consumes their lives.

Linky

Errr.... wow. I had no idea. I assumed the people who did this sort of thing were students and the long-term unemployed and that the 14 hour a day stats were overstated. 23 hours :o . I quite like Civilisation, and am about to play it now, but the way I play it lasts less than half an hour; just enough for a listen again radio comedy.

I've never known anybody who comes even close. A few seem to spend a lot of time on Facebook, women more than men, but the only person I know who does play online games is a woman and I don't think she plays it much.

That's really depressing as well. I don't think I could take somebody seriously if I knew that's what they did with their holiday.

Almost everyone I know who has played World of Warcraft has sufferend because of it; know one guy who dropped out of his degree, one who lost his job, went on WoW as as a result turned into a fat ******* and took a year to find another job when he could have got one quickly had he not been playing WoW.

I also know of someone who was playing a long gaming session, 24 hours I think, and wasn't leaving his room. When his parents walked in (he was about 20 I think) they found a couple of 2-litre coke bottles full of piss - rather than going to the toilet and missing the game, he just pissed in the bottle. Classy.

How would you survive?

No Ebay, no HPC, no-

I think i would be forced to actually get a real life girlfriend, with all the encumbent expense\issues pretending i actually give a ****** etc. sigh :)

Errr.... wow. I had no idea. I assumed the people who did this sort of thing were students and the long-term unemployed and that the 14 hour a day stats were overstated. 23 hours :o . I quite like Civilisation, and am about to play it now, but the way I play it lasts less than half an hour; just enough for a listen again radio comedy.

I've never known anybody who comes even close. A few seem to spend a lot of time on Facebook, women more than men, but the only person I know who does play online games is a woman and I don't think she plays it much.

That's really depressing as well. I don't think I could take somebody seriously if I knew that's what they did with their holiday.

I did a bit of research into it a few years ago to see what lessons could be taken from the gaming world to be applied to improve student engagement in the classroom.

If someone has a subscription to an online game like WoW or Eve it will probably be consuming just about every free second they have. The games all have 'grind', that is mindless chores to do repetitively for a small reward, over and over and over again. When people have been playing for months or even years they have amassed a fortune which must be maintained by doing more and more 'grind'.

People take it so seriously that there have been a number of murders in the real world because of disputes that arose in an online game, not just clustered in one country either. I know of it happening in Korea, Russia, Britain, America and China. (probably quite a few more cases in more countries by now)