House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sceptic

Just Arrived In The Uk

Hello everyone,

having moved into a rental property in the North West (from Malta), we are now starting to get accustomed to the climate, which makes us think about a TV licence.

Now, not wanting to subscribe for Sky as we just don't need (and want) 1 million different channels, we were wondering what other options there are.

What we would like to have is a decent sport channel, a good news programme and some nice channels for the kids (preferably Discovery and the likes, no crap cartoon channel).

I heard that there's a cable option and as far as I know you need a basic TV licence (that includes all the BBC channels?) anyway but I need more advice if somebody would be so kind to explain.

Thank you.

sceptic

Look at Freeview. It's digital TV but through the normal terrestrial system. You just need a set-top box (Asda sell them for about £35 now) and there are no ongoing subscription costs.

If you get a Freeview box that accepts a card then you can get topupTV which offers around 10 channels for 7.99 (some of the channels are only on for a certain time though http://www.topuptv.com). Some cable companies offer a basic TV package if you subscribe to their phone and broadband service.

Personallly I'm happy with Freeview.

First of all you need to find out if you're in a cabled area. Check http://www.telewest.co.uk/ and http://www.ntl.com/index.html To be honest, they offer as many channels as Sky but they are good if you want broadband and phone too. You'll probably need to look at one of these options if you want half decent sports channels.

I imagine you'll have to check with your landlord to get either Sky or cable installed.

As for the tv licence, you can find out more here

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index_frameset.html

You have to have one if you have a TV, regardless of whether you watch BBC or not.

HTH

Thanks TETTU.

Thank you too, Scarecrow. Do I take it that telewest and ntl offer their own TV channels, including sports channels?

Freeview appears to be ok, but apart from Sky Sports News there seems to be no other sports channel.

sceptic

Telewest and ntl have much the same channels as sky - they buy the Sky Sports channels and Sky Movies channels from them. There are the odd differences but they offer much the same. You pay extra for premium channels such as sports channels, and movie channels. The only ones which are free to air are Eurosport which I think Freeview has, but I'm not sure.

If you are really into sport, then cable or sky are the way to go as they are the only way to get Sky Sports. Sky's packages are changing on 1 September so if you check their website later in the week, you'll be able to work out what you need easier.

Freeview has no sports channels (Sky Sports News doesn't count).

If sports is a must then Sky or the cable offerings mentioned above need to be considered. They should give you the option to put together a package with the channels you want (give or take).

Where are you from in Malta?

Freeview has no sports channels (Sky Sports News doesn't count).

If sports is a must then Sky or the cable offerings mentioned above need to be considered. They should give you the option to put together a package with the channels you want (give or take).

Where are you from in Malta?

Whilst you are correct Freeview does not have a sports channel (apart from Sky Sports News which counts in my book), topuptv has 2.

Topuptv has British Eurosport and Setanta.

NDL

Whilst you are correct Freeview does not have a sports channel (apart from Sky Sports News which counts in my book), topuptv has 2.

Topuptv has British Eurosport and Setanta.

NDL

Sentanta is only available in Scotland at the moment, I think.

Thank all of you!

Nijo, we are not really from Malta but from Germany. Just spent the last 5 years in the Med. The place we lived is called Attard, which is the most central village of the island and almost the only place without a seaview!

Thanks again for your help.

sceptic

Interesting, my gf is from Malta (Qormi - also without a coastline) but we met in Munich and lived there for a while.

:)

Personally i would go with sky, its so much better than ntl/telewest cable. However if you dont watch a lot of tv then freeview is definately your best bet especially now it has e4 :)

My advice is don't buy a TV... keep logging on to HPC instead!!

tv is for retards....sorry if you are one.

Thanks for sensible advice. We were that kind of people until recently. But with two growing children telling us it's unfair to keep them in the shadows about what everything else in their class watches and knows, we finally gave in.

sceptic