House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bes

Aerial- Who Has Responsibility For This?

Hi,

So long story short, we moved into a newly renovated maisonette in Greenwich about a month ago.

Everything is grand, apart from the fact we get no reception through the aerial (Well we do, but it's almost nothing- all 6 channels we can get are near unwatchable).

Now, the aerial was included with the property, so is a 'fixture', therefore the LL's responsibility. Also they fitted aerial points in 3 of the rooms (2 bedrooms and the living room), so one would assume that TV reception was included.

Now, I told the management co. that there was no reception. They said it was not their responsibility, but as a gesture, sent the builder who had just renovated the flat around, and apparently there was a broken cable in the loft. They 'fixed' it as best they could, and now we are in the 6-channel situation.

I am loathed to pay out hundreds for an aerial man to come around and do whatever is needed to get it working, only to leave a year or 2 later, having basically upgraded the property out of my own pocket. I kind of doubt the management co. is going to offer to pay for this either though... they will just say they have no obligation to provide me with a signal.

I am not sure if they do have any kind of obligation to fix it- on one hand, it is their aerial, and they did provide it, so I have a reasonable expectation that it should function as intended. On the other hand, it's a luxury, not an essential I suppose, so they probably do not have a legal obligation to fix it.

Sky, cable etc are not an option, as neither of us watch anything like enough TV to justify it, and we migrated our telephone service/ Internet from our old place, so are tied in for the next year anyway.

Any advice/ opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forget the Idiots' Delight and enjoy your freedom!

Yeah I was thinking about just leaving it as- is and probably will if I cannot convince the LL to cough up for it! At least I can tell the TV License man to do one when he comes knocking.

Hi,

Now, I told the management co. that there was no reception. They said it was not their responsibility, but as a gesture, sent the builder who had just renovated the flat around, and apparently there was a broken cable in the loft. They 'fixed' it as best they could, and now we are in the 6-channel situation.

I am pretty sure that it is the LL's, I am almost in the same position but I have had so much else fixed in my flat in the last year that I am starting to feel guilty (none of it damage by me, just a slightly old flat falling to bits slightly) so am not going to worry about the aerial for now..

My reception is poor through the fixed ariel but I bought myself an indoor aerial with a booster so I can get ITV4 to watch the Tour de France. Reviews of them are sketchy but the one I got cost £25 and works pretty well. Though there seems to be a compromise between having BBC4 and ITV4 I can't have both at the same time but ITV4 is only ever any good for sport so I will retune after the Tour and get BBC4 back

I'll bet that there used to be a masthead amplifier in the loft and the previous tenant took it with them - this is what happened to me.

~£30-40 and perhaps 1/2 hour to fix it in. Check whether your freeview box / TV will provide 5v power up the aerial cable (my Humax recorder does) - if so you don't need to buy a separate power supply.

It'll do wonders.

Edit: I have a Vision C12554 from http://www.satcure.com/accs/page11c.htm. You will also need to ensure you buy F connectors and silicone grease (or ready-made cables).

Edited by schmunk

Guest PenelopePitstop

Had the same problem and my Landlord had it all fixed for me pronto! :)