House Price Crash Forum
Mega

Yes, They Going After Rents!

National Housing Federation quoted in the article:

"The cuts would hit Britain's 200,000 single, childless claimants hardest. Someone in London with a weekly rent of £350 would see their benefit cut by £35. The NHF said tenants would be forced to make up the shortfall from their £65.45 weekly allowance, leaving just £30.45 for food, clothing and energy."

How many single, childless people are renting places on HB for £350 a week (about £1500 per month)? Somewhere close to zero I would imagine.

Thin end of the wedge, look they where looking for 25%.......now 40%....."They" seen something........not sure what but its worried them. Rents are gonig to get looked at more & more............

A Treasury source said: "We are determined to tackle the record budget deficit in order to keep interest rates lower for longer"

They are going to destroy this country, you can't all of a sudden reduce HB by huge amounts, it has to been done slowly. what they are doing is mostly likely going to destroy both families and landlords, which means banking crisis 2. BC2 will be much worse than BC1 and will last longer. what they need to be thinking is how do we reduce the cost of housing, well build more as you cut.

This is the tories version of social engineering, get the poor out of good areas into run down areas, while the upper middle class enjoy their new social engineer areas.

The tories are finished they'll never gain power again this way.

Edited by crash2006

It was predicted that whoever won the election would be out of power for a generation.

Talk about a poisoned chalice.

This is the tories version of social engineering, get the poor out of good areas into run down areas, while the upper middle class enjoy their new social engineer areas.

And what was Labours version of social engineering? Give the jobless (by choice) poor more money for free than the hard-working families earn?

I'm sick of the housing benefit scum who breed like rats and are paid for by the tax payer and have their landlords pockets lined by the tax payer too.

F*** 'em <_<

An in-law of mine will be affected, she rents in a posh area. (her upbringing)

and doesn’t want to lower herself to renting in a non-middle class area.

she's bringing up two like minded children, after a divorce she decided her

husband was no longer was up to her expectations after he lost his job.

My attitude to it... it's about time my taxes were better spent.

An in-law of mine will be affected, she rents in a posh area. (her upbringing)

and doesn’t want to lower herself to renting in a non-middle class area.

she's bringing up two like minded children, after a divorce she decided her

husband was no longer was up to her expectations after he lost his job.

My attitude to it... it's about time my taxes were better spent.

She sounds lovely.

Sounds like a vote winner to me. Personally the "poor" (by which most people seem to mean benefit scum) should not have the vote anyway. No representation without taxation.

They are going to destroy this country, you can't all of a sudden reduce HB by huge amounts, it has to been done slowly. what they are doing is mostly likely going to destroy both families and landlords, which means banking crisis 2.

Yeah, lets destroy families that dont work and landlord parasites. Why is this a bad thing? Let people become responsible for themselves.

Sorry, but the poor are already almost entirely in run down areas. What the changes in HB will do is lower the rents in these areas so there is a possibility that working people will move to them.

This is the best plan in ages to actually reduce the concentration of worklessness in deprived communities. Still not good enough though IMO.

Sorry, but the poor are already almost entirely in run down areas. What the changes in HB will do is lower the rents in these areas so there is a possibility that working people will move to them.

This is the best plan in ages to actually reduce the concentration of worklessness in deprived communities. Still not good enough though IMO.

The poor are everywhere - just depends on your definition of poor. They definately dont all live in run-down areas and many are OAP's surviving on pensions not feckless chavs.

If it forces down rents and undercuts BTL then i'll be happy but my suspicion is that it has been hijacked and there is a social engineering agenda here.

Sorry to concentrate on London but you do have an agenda where the Rich & the Foreign Uber Rich would love to have the central area as their own playground and turn it into a city like Paris where the poor are sent to the Banlieue and commute in every day. This can only lead to further decline in the suburbs. I myself prefer communities where income groups are mixed not confined to ghettos. Again this might just be a London problem.

Edited by skomer

Firstly, is it just me or could this government actually be trying to engineer an hpc (to get it out the way)?

Secondly, I find it quite unpleasant the way the MSM are complaining about this, on behalf of those renting of course, nothing to do with the fact that btl landlords will suffer (and rent/house prices will fall as a result). Much in the same way as they campaigned against CGT (on behalf of hard working families) and mortgage rationing (aspiring ftbs), when of course each of these would serve to pull prices down (what most hard working ftbs actually want).

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

They are going to destroy this country, you can't all of a sudden reduce HB by huge amounts, it has to been done slowly. what they are doing is mostly likely going to destroy both families and landlords, which means banking crisis 2. BC2 will be much worse than BC1 and will last longer. what they need to be thinking is how do we reduce the cost of housing, well build more as you cut.

The Tories "social engineering" is nothing of the sort. They want to curtail the state sponsoring of the chav/loafer breeding programme which results in them being able to price the minimum wage WORKERS out of affordable rentals, thus forcing them into crappy areas.

Unfairness to the nth degree (not that Labour *****s or their witless supporters know what unfairness is)

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

I'm getting really fucked off with articles like these. Nowhere is the concept of rents being reduced as a result of lowering LHA entertained.

Me too.

British journalism, like British football and British everything else.

3rd rate dross

Sorry to concentrate on London but you do have an agenda where the Rich & the Foreign Uber Rich would love to have the central area as their own playground and turn it into a city like Paris where the poor are sent to the Banlieue and commute in every day. This can only lead to further decline in the suburbs. I myself prefer communities where income groups are mixed not confined to ghettos. Again this might just be a London problem.

This is a trend that has been in place for some time. The deprivation indicators for Inner London have been improving at least relatively and have gotten much worse for Outer London over the last decade. Market forces are for the most part dictating this.

My argument is that it was an even greater social engineering project that has kept the poor and workless living in Westminster. That is now starting to be dismantled.

Guest KingCharles1st

Firstly, is it just me or could this government actually be trying to engineer an hpc (to get it out the way)?

I have been wondering this for a while. Reason- when one analyses what peeps do with their salary and wage packet, it is obvious there is little room for manouevre after the big hit of the monthly dwelling cost- be it mortgage or rented. This inflexibility hammers employer's ability to respond to market forces from outside, and without credit cards- or a little 200 Bill bung, things are pretty near to fu-cked.

I'm getting really fucked off with articles like these. Nowhere is the concept of rents being reduced as a result of lowering LHA entertained.

????

From the article ..

Critics also say plans to cap payments to private tenants and to reduce the level at which housing benefit is paid from 50% of local rent levels to 30% could force hundreds of thousands of families out of their homes.

Squeal piggy squeal

I think you under estimate the amount of people who are sick of lazy blood sucking parasytic claimants. Claiming is a lifestyle choice, if the Tories change this 'lifestyle' for good they will be in power for a significant period of time imho.

They are working hard to win favour in other areas though. I like the idea that they will be abolishing as many other unpopular things as possible and consulting with the public as much as possible. I like the idea that the government will be begging us to like them for a change instead of doing whatever they please despite our opinion because they think we're all happy to be pseudo rich in bogus house equity and debt.

I think you under estimate the amount of people who are sick of lazy blood sucking parasytic claimants. Claiming is a lifestyle choice, if the Tories change this 'lifestyle' for good they will be in power for a significant period of time imho.

and that