House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

40% Cuts In Public Spending

Unfortunately, I can't bear to listen when he's on. Tony Livesey is OK Mon - Thu, I'm glad he replaced the annoying Richard Bacon but Nolan is another level of tw*t. In my opinion of course.

Edited by deflation

Turkey's aren't going to vote for Christmas. Their assessments are going to read like armageddon. Would be interesting to see how they compared to independant speding audits.

Turkey's aren't going to vote for Christmas. Their assessments are going to read like armageddon. Would be interesting to see how they compared to independant speding audits.

Turkeys may not vote for Christmas, but it doesn't stop Christmas arriving.

40% cuts :o

That's bound to be in the Tory/LibDem manifestos that people were asked to vote on during the general election but you know I'm sure they only mentioned something like £6 billion of cuts :unsure:

40% cuts :o

That's bound to be in the Tory/LibDem manifestos that people were asked to vote on during the general election but you know I'm sure they only mentioned something like £6 billion of cuts :unsure:

And then they got to see the books <_<.

Most government departments are being asked to produce "illustrative plans" for spending cuts of up to 40%.

The Treasury wants most departments to draw up illustrative plans for cuts of 25% and of 40% by the end of the month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10500081.stm

First 20%, then 40%. A bit later they will talk of 50%.

There will be an outcry, so they'll reduce it to 20%, the unions/pundits will claim a victory and go home.

Meanwhile, their plan all along was for 20%.

Looks like the ConLib have been paying close attention to the Tony Blair School of Managing Expectations <_<

Most government departments are being asked to produce "illustrative plans" for spending cuts of up to 40%.

The Treasury wants most departments to draw up illustrative plans for cuts of 25% and of 40% by the end of the month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10500081.stm

Labour says the moves could "snuff out" the recovery and tip the country back into recession.

...Labour snuffs out the country every time it gets in ....we are in the recession with the largest deficit 'in town' during a recession because of them ..... :rolleyes:

Guest sillybear2

If you have chosen people or chosen departments then it means the cuts elsewhere will have to be even deeper, I think this is why Maggie T was (is) so hated, cumulative government spending still grew in the 80's (the phantom cuts) but I guess some people got it in the neck because they redirected resources into other areas, like buying cruise missiles or something.

Edited by sillybear2

First 20%, then 40%. A bit later they will talk of 50%.

There will be an outcry, so they'll reduce it to 20%, the unions/pundits will claim a victory and go home.

Meanwhile, their plan all along was for 20%.

Looks like the ConLib have been paying close attention to the Tony Blair School of Managing Expectations <_<

I think its more a case of "how much can we get away with?"

They announced cuts of 25% and there wasnt much of a reaction in the way of resistance.

The the IFS predicted cuts of 33% and still not much of a reaction.

40%

Its worrying that in other countries we have national strikes and riots and in this country apathy and ignorance.

Guest sillybear2

I think its more a case of "how much can we get away with?"

They announced cuts of 25% and there wasnt much of a reaction in the way of resistance.

The the IFS predicted cuts of 33% and still not much of a reaction.

40%

Its worrying that in other countries we have national strikes and riots and in this country apathy and ignorance.

Maybe it's 25% official cuts, but 40% real cuts when the BoE continues printing and the inflation figures are rigged.

Guest absolutezero

...Labour snuffs out the country every time it gets in ....we are in the recession with the largest deficit 'in town' during a recession because of them ..... :rolleyes: private sector's obsession with offshoring jobs and sacking people because of the obsession ever increasing profit.

So it's hardly surprising the public sector mops up the people who are surplus to requirements

Fixed for you.

For the 1st time since i joined this BB i am shocked, i mean SHOCKED!!!!!!

I fully expected 20% cuts as a worst case & not for 2 years or so........but plan for 40% !!!!!

Ok, 1st time round it won't be 40%....but next time?

Also i recall the GDP figs didn't arrive this week & i wonder if this is conected?

Mike

Guest sillybear2

I fully expected 20% cuts as a worst case & not for 2 years or so........but plan for 40% !!!!!

Also i recall the GDP figs didn't arrive this week & i wonder if this is conected?

Mike

Remember our future isn't in our own hands, if the bond markets take fright then within a few days you face a rerun of Greece. It's quite possible the government needs a contingency plan of drastic cuts in order to present to the IMF for when the s**t hits the fan.

Mind you, this might just be news management, shock people with potential 40% cuts then make them feel better when the actual 25% cuts go through.

Edited by sillybear2

I'm listening to the discussion on Radio 5, there is real fear, people are talking about mass unemployment and riots. It's like listening to the stuff we have been talking about for years finally making it into the mainstream media. Apparently its going to be the front page story in tomorrows newspapers.

Guest sillybear2

I'm listening to the discussion on Radio 5, there is real fear, people are talking about mass unemployment and riots. It's like listening to the stuff we have been talking about for years finally making it into the mainstream media. Apparently its going to be the front page story in tomorrows newspapers.

It's all a little hysterical IMHO, nothing is definitive, some departments are pretty useless and could do with some major trimming, but this isn't going to be across the board or on frontline health or education. Would I rather see 40% cuts in corporate welfare in order to protect education, or a cut of 20% for both, I'd chose the former.

Look at your own expenses, could you cut your expenditures by 40% if you needed to... planning for the worst?

Edited by sillybear2

Look at your own expenses, could you cut your expenditures by 40% if you needed to... planning for the worst?

In light of this news people should indeed be planning for exactly that.

...Labour snuffs out the country every time it gets in ....we are in the recession with the largest deficit 'in town' during a recession because of them ..... :rolleyes:

We have the lowest deficit in europe. Osbourne is just fixated with it. You start making cuts like that then you really are heading for trouble. The markets will get worried and with 10 million plus on the dole the benefit bill will in the end increase the debt.

At some point the whole world is going to have to realise that the only way forward is to write the whole lot off.

Guest sillybear2

In light of this news people should indeed be planning for exactly that.

That's no bad thing, we collectively live beyond our means, we borrow too much and have a huge trade deficit. Remember we used to have an NHS before its budget was trippled, albeit not perfect, and its spending is protected :-

1146732559.gif

It's like having your pay quadrupled to £100k in no time at all then bitching when it's then cut back to £80k. Boohoo.

Edited by sillybear2

It's all a little hysterical IMHO, nothing is definitive, some departments are pretty useless and could do with some major trimming, but this isn't going to be across the board or on frontline health or education. Would I rather see 40% cuts in corporate welfare in order to protect education, or a cut of 20% for both, I'd chose the former.

I can't cut my own by 40%. most of my obligations although are not debt are contractual for at least 6 months. Plus on third of my wages pays the mortgage and then I have to put food on the table and pay the bills. With notice I could possibly cut 20% but no more.

I can't work longer hours as am already working a 70 hour week and the wife looks after the kids.

I think the Tories are going to have to raise income tax to 40% on anything over 30k. If things are really that bad then that's the only way.

40% in the non-protected budgets, overall would be less.

Considering how it shot up under Brown, you don't have to rewind that many years to achieve very significant percentage cuts. Was it really so bad in the UK before he turned the spending taps up to eleven? (in pure service-delivery terms, i.e. putting aside the cold turkey effects)

(You can chart/view the historical numbers here, unfortunately the forum software won't allow me to link the output charts)