House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest X-QUORK

These New Avatars...

Guest X-QUORK

I think we should all pack ourselves on the back for our new avatars, we all look awesome. B)

Guest absolutezero

I think we should all pack ourselves on the back for our new avatars, we all look awesome. B)

You flirting with me Quorky?

I have to confess I quite like my new look. Stark/minimalist/decluttered, call it what you will, blank was dull.

But has anyone else found the new looks give a different impression of people altogether?

But has anyone else found the new looks give a different impression of people altogether?

Yes, they matter.

I was shocked when TBFury announced he was not 5'2" and didn't live in Bolton, I had this image of a Ronnie Corbett lookalike who played the guitar. Skinty always gets an easy ride because she has that fit Kathleen Turner in her avatar. Whereas Aunt Jess / Mrs Bradley gets treated as an old woman (which frequently means patronised, sadly) because she has an old woman in her avatar.

Guest anorthosite

Somehow, I don't feel all that different :)

Yes, they matter.

I was shocked when TBFury announced he was not 5'2" and didn't live in Bolton, I had this image of a Ronnie Corbett lookalike who played the guitar. Skinty always gets an easy ride because she has that fit Kathleen Turner in her avatar. Whereas Aunt Jess / Mrs Bradley gets treated as an old woman (which frequently means patronised, sadly) because she has an old woman in her avatar.

Someone with an picture of someone and a name of someone else is much better than John Smith, JohnSmith.jpg.

I can see in what way people-avatars might affect what others think of a person (as they might bestow the perceived characteristics of the person in the picture with the poster), but what does feeling or empathy does a non-person-avatar (like mine) convey?

Does it make it more difficult to identify with a poster whose avatar is something inanimate or somewhat abstract?

I've never been entirely enamoured with my non-person avatar, but, as stated elsewhere, I generally identify people by their avatars more than their names, so, working on the (perhaps faulty) assumption that it's the same for others, I've resisted changing it over the months and years.

I can see in what way people-avatars might affect what others think of a person (as they might bestow the perceived characteristics of the person in the picture with the poster), but what does feeling or empathy does a non-person-avatar (like mine) convey?

Does it make it more difficult to identify with a poster whose avatar is something inanimate or somewhat abstract?

I've never been entirely enamoured with my non-person avatar, but, as stated elsewhere, I generally identify people by their avatars more than their names, so, working on the (perhaps faulty) assumption that it's the same for others, I've resisted changing it over the months and years.

Great name - which I recognise.

Anonymous avatar - which I don't.

Guest theboltonfury

Great name - which I recognise.

Anonymous avatar - which I don't.

I don't even like Ronnie Corbett.

Over the past two years, I have assembled an arsenal of Corbett images in my laptop. All solitary Corbetts in various different attires.

If I ever send my laptop in for repair, I imagine Mr.Corbett's lawyers will be made aware.

It's a bit sterile, un-emotive...

Have you considered something a little more personal, eg this:

ologhai.jpg

or this:

FATW_TNS002.jpg

or this:

terry-jones.jpg

or perhaps you could carry on with one like this:

cribbinscarryonjack230.jpg

Yes, they matter.

But I AM a pompous, tall annoying person with a plummy accent.

No tash though.

Are you trying to shatter my illusions and drive me off to a different forum? One where everyone looks gorgeous?

Apparently such places are called dating websites.

Are you talking about my forum name? Where do you recognise it from?

From here! I mean your name is memorable but your avatar isn't. It's vaguely familiar anyway - a Philip K Dick character?

Unlike, say, Eric Pebble who has an ok name but a cracking avatar.

It's a bit sterile, un-emotive...

I agree, but I would generally resist change for the sake of it, so I suppose I've been awaiting a 'that's just the avatar I've been looking for' moment that's never really happened.

Then I wonder, what's in an avatar anyway? Does it really make any difference to the way people respond to me? It might have a 'first impression effect', but the longer-term posters here will surely come to know me more for what I say rather than what my avatar looks like?

Then I wonder... what's for breakfast?

I agree, but I would generally resist change for the sake of it, so I suppose I've been awaiting a 'that's just the avatar I've been looking for' moment that's never really happened.

Then I wonder, what's in an avatar anyway? Does it really make any difference to the way people respond to me? It might have a 'first impression effect', but the longer-term posters here will surely come to know me more for what I say rather than what my avatar looks like?

Then I wonder... what's for breakfast?

It's a little like being able to put a face to a name though, and helpful for recognition for we 'visual learners' ;) Also Olog Hai and a Sold floor plan seem a little at odds (manic war machine v ordered 2D outline), which adds to the confusion over your identity. I hope you find 'the one' - a picture speaks a 1000 words, as they say.