House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Nuke The Bp Oil Leak

Guest Skinty

'I don't know what BP is waiting for; they are wasting their time,' said one, the former Soviet minister of nuclear energy Viktor Mikhailov.

I am sure that BP must have a nuke in their stationary cupboard somewhere ...

Edit:

He said the atomic solution would cost BP some £6.6million, paltry compared with the £1.7billion that the oil giant has already spent on damage limitation.

:blink:

There are some very good reasons not to do this.

The wells the Russians capped were not capped by setting a nuke off a the surface but rather at the bottom of a relief well drilled down to a suitable depth, rather like the 2 that BP is drilling right now. The Russians lacked the ability to steer a drill bit with sufficient precision to intersect the original well and hence tried setting off a nuke. With the technology available to BP then there is no reason for the relief well to not intersect the original well.

Secondly, there is no nuke available which is designed to A. fit down a drill hole and B. survive and operate at the temperatures and pressures found at the bottom of the well. The Russians took well over a year to build a suitable device. By the time one is ready at least one of the relief wells should have already intersected the original well.

Thirdly, the geology at the Russian wells included a layer of clay which is ideal for transmitting a shock wave. The geology around the Deep Water Horizon well is very different and there is no way of knowing whether a nuke will kill the well or just fracture the rock all around it, making the problem massively worse.

Ever seen Crack in the World?

Wikipedia, IMDB.

Send for Ted Rampion!

An international consortium of scientists, operating as Project Inner Space, is trying to tap into the Earth's geothermal energy by drilling a very deep hole through the Earth's crust into the mantle below. The scientists are foiled by an extremely dense layer of material at the boundary between the two. To penetrate the barrier and reach the magma below, they intend to detonate an atomic device at the bottom of the hole.

The leader of the project, Dr. Stephen Sorenson (Dana Andrews), who is (secretly) dying of cancer, believes that the atomic device will burn its way through the barrier, but the project's chief geologist, Dr. Ted Rampion (Kieron Moore), is convinced that the lower layers of the crust have been weakened by decades of underground nuclear tests, and that the detonation could produce a massive crack that would threaten the very existence of Earth.

The atomic device is used and Rampion's fears prove justified, as the crust of the Earth develops an enormous crack that progresses rapidly. Sorenson discovers that there was a huge signature of hydrogen underground, which turned the small conventional atomic explosion into a huge thermonuclear one that was millions of times more powerful. Another atomic device is used in the hope of stopping the crack, but it only reverses the crack's direction.

Things only get worse after that.

Yeh its probably a bad idea, and might set fire to the Van Allan belt. Right next big problem we can solve in five minutes.

Ever seen Crack in the World?

Wikipedia, IMDB.

Send for Ted Rampion!

Things only get worse after that.

Or there is this one:http://en.wikipedia....lla_(1954_film)

When a Japanese fishing boat is attacked by a flash of light near Odo Island, two rescue boats are sent, but they too are destroyed. Few survive. On Odo Island, a village elder blames their poor fishing on Godzilla and recalls that in earlier times native girls were sacrificed to appease the giant sea monster. Survivors from the boats wash ashore. Word gets out and a helicopter arrives on the island with curious, but skeptical, reporters. Frightened natives perform a ceremony to keep the monster away, but it doesn't work. That night, while the natives sleep, a storm arrives and Godzilla comes with it. Death and destruction ensue.

The next day witnesses arrive in Tokyo. Dr. Kyohei Yamane suggests that investigators be sent to the island. On arrival, Yamane finds giant radioactive footprints. When an alarm sounds, the villagers run to the hills, only to find Godzilla is more than they can fight. After a quick skirmish, the villagers run for safety and Godzilla heads to the ocean.

Dr. Yamane returns to Tokyo to present his findings. He concludes that Godzilla was created by a nuclear explosion. Some want to conceal that fact, fearing international repercussions. Others say the truth must be revealed. They prevail and Godzilla's origins are announced to the public.

Ships are sent with depth charges to kill the monster. When they fail, Godzilla appears again, causing nationwide panic. Officials appeal to Dr. Yamane for some way to kill the monster, but Yamane wants him kept alive and studied.

Guest X-QUORK

Hmmm...so they want to turn a small leak into a massive leak with a nuke?

Sounds like an awesome idea.

Guest happy?

I am sure that BP must have a nuke in their stationary cupboard somewhere ...

Edit:

:blink:

That's the one that doesn't move around so much?

Have GreenPeace et al released any statements in this regard? I'd be interested to know what their stance would be - sounds like a rock and a hard place argument.

Don't be so cynical you lot. Honestly!

Have you ever had a leak, say from a pipe in the garden or on your drive? Did you try throwing a hand grenade down the nearest man hole cover?

No. You didn't. So how do you know it wont work?

I think it makes sense, Next time I have a dripping tap I am going to get 10 Lb of C-4 to fix it.

I think the word 'insane' was used.

EDIT: Here we are:

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6610K620100702?sp=true

Thanks for that, Durch. Be interesting to see how this one plays out... the geology report posted last week on the GOM sea bed was also interesting... what happens if they simply fracture the sea bed further? Are there any long term predictions of effects of an inability to seal this well?

There are some very good reasons not to do this.

The wells the Russians capped were not capped by setting a nuke off a the surface but rather at the bottom of a relief well drilled down to a suitable depth, rather like the 2 that BP is drilling right now. The Russians lacked the ability to steer a drill bit with sufficient precision to intersect the original well and hence tried setting off a nuke. With the technology available to BP then there is no reason for the relief well to not intersect the original well.

Secondly, there is no nuke available which is designed to A. fit down a drill hole and B. survive and operate at the temperatures and pressures found at the bottom of the well. The Russians took well over a year to build a suitable device. By the time one is ready at least one of the relief wells should have already intersected the original well.

Thirdly, the geology at the Russian wells included a layer of clay which is ideal for transmitting a shock wave. The geology around the Deep Water Horizon well is very different and there is no way of knowing whether a nuke will kill the well or just fracture the rock all around it, making the problem massively worse.

There are 2 things thathave puzzled me for a long time.

1 ) How do you steer a well drilling bit

2 ) How do you know where the drilling bit is (apart from 'down the well' and 'at the end of the drill', obviously :rolleyes: )

2 ) How do you know where the drilling bit is (apart from 'down the well' and 'at the end of the drill', obviously :rolleyes: )

I'm sure someone will be along to explain it with a sexual analogy if you wait a little.

Although not answering your questions exactly, you might find this video interesting which explains the technology used to locate the original well so that they can intercept it....

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kwellsreliefwells062710.htm

(skip to 04:30 if you don't have time to watch the whole thing)

In terms of knowing where the drill bit is precisely, I have no idea how it's actually done, but it would certainly be possible with a laser-gyro type system attached to end of the drill, as used in aircraft navigation; and also in the construction of the channel tunnel. The unit would be calibrated on the surface against the precisely known position of the drilling rig, and then as it descends with the drill bit reports its position in terms of lat / lon / -ve altitude (depth) back to the surface.

In terms of knowing where the drill bit is precisely, I have no idea how it's actually done, but it would certainly be possible with a laser-gyro type system attached to end of the drill, as used in aircraft navigation; and also in the construction of the channel tunnel. The unit would be calibrated on the surface against the precisely known position of the drilling rig, and then as it descends with the drill bit reports its position in terms of lat / lon / -ve altitude (depth) back to the surface.

If they can do that in the tip of a muddy drill at high pressure and temperature and relay the info I'd be very impressed. I somehow doubt that's how it's done.

Thanks for the link

If they can do that in the tip of a muddy drill at high pressure and temperature and relay the info I'd be very impressed. I somehow doubt that's how it's done.

"laser" and "gyro" certainly seem to feature together in various web pages regarding precision drilling, although there is also talk of acoustic methods - presumably a bit like sonar where sound-waves are fired down from the sea bed and a reflection from the drilling head detected and position determined from that.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drilling+well+position+laser+gyro

I remember being fascinated by the Channel Tunnel construction, and wanted to know how they got the two crews drilling from either side of the channel to meet in the middle with no more than a few cm error which is how I came across the technology.

"laser" and "gyro" certainly seem to feature together in various web pages regarding precision drilling, although there is also talk of acoustic methods - presumably a bit like sonar where sound-waves are fired down from the sea bed and a reflection from the drilling head detected and position determined from that.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drilling+well+position+laser+gyro

I remember being fascinated by the Channel Tunnel construction, and wanted to know how they got the two crews drilling from either side of the channel to meet in the middle with no more than a few cm error which is how I came across the technology.

From the presentation you linked to, they detect the old well liner from the new well electromagnetically, removing the drilling equipment and dropping instrumentation down the new well.

I guess gyro techniques can be used in normal wells by removing the drill and dropping the telemetry down the hole - until you actually hit oil at high pressure. perhaps that is what is done.

Still no idea how they actually steer the bit.

From the presentation you linked to, they detect the old well liner from the new well electromagnetically, removing the drilling equipment and dropping instrumentation down the new well.

I guess gyro techniques can be used in normal wells by removing the drill and dropping the telemetry down the hole - until you actually hit oil at high pressure. perhaps that is what is done.

Still no idea how they actually steer the bit.

0906.JPG

I think technology has moved on a little... :lol: