House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Pilates

I thought pilates was some sort of girlie stuff. But I was talking to someone about core body strength and they asked me to do this exercise :

http://pilatesonfifth.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/pilates-lovers-challenge-your-core-with-this-core-strength-test/

Bl**dy hard work, and I rate myself as quite fit.

Anyone out there do this ?

She says to keep your back and legs in line but hers are not ? Makes me dubious about listening to what she has to say !!

Looks tough though.

Yep, it's hard work Pilates when you're pushing it. There are usually several stages to each pose so you can build up to the tougher stages over time. What you find is some people go to the class once a week and don't push themselves and just stay with the bottom level - such an approach makes Pilates very easy sadly and probably not much good (like any exercise). However if you build up then it is a very worthwhile form of exercise. Everybody has there own level that they can perform at so no use comparing yourself with someone else, but my theory with any exercise is that if you are not sweating enough to dampen your hair and see the beads on your skin by the end then you didn't try hard enough.

I haven't used Pilates myself but I do know two very good people, both very fit, both female, that swear by it.

I think the contribution it makes by demonstrating you do not need a lot of space or expensive equipment is very valuable.

I think there are alternative systems in development or rather beginning to find recognition at the moment that offer better results by building on the core strength concept better.

But I do say "respect" to Pilates . It has made a very valuable contribution.

And even if what those chicks are doing in that vid is nutty and excessive, it sure is funny.

I thought pilates was some sort of girlie stuff. But I was talking to someone about core body strength and they asked me to do this exercise :

http://pilatesonfifth.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/pilates-lovers-challenge-your-core-with-this-core-strength-test/

Bl**dy hard work, and I rate myself as quite fit.

Anyone out there do this ?

I thought pilates was that thing about putting warm rocks on your spine that seems to feature so prominently in holiday brochures for cruises.

So, what is that warm-rocks thing called? (And, perhaps more to the point, what's the big idea about the having warm rocks on your back anyway?)

I'm such a heathen.

I thought pilates was that thing about putting warm rocks on your spine that seems to feature so prominently in holiday brochures for cruises.

So, what is that warm-rocks thing called? (And, perhaps more to the point, what's the big idea about the having warm rocks on your back anyway?)

I'm such a heathen.

Hot stone massage - incredibly relaxing, particularly useful if you have tension in the back muscles - not too manipulative but very soothing.

Hot stone massage - incredibly relaxing, particularly useful if you have tension in the back muscles - not too manipulative but very soothing.

Oh, how the other half live!

Girlfriend took me through some of her "strengthening" exercises which include pilates. I scoffed - I'm a very keen runner and regularly lift weights. But wow, 20 minutes of his stuff wrecked me - I ached from Monday till Friday. She does it three times a week.

Will be repeating the exercises tonight. I reckon its effective as it isn't targeted, it exercises a whole bunch of muscles that would get very little exercise otherwise.

it exercises a whole bunch of muscles that would get very little exercise otherwise.

In other words, it exercises a whole bunch of muscles that aren't very useful anyway?

In other words, it exercises a whole bunch of muscles that aren't very useful anyway?

Pilates is often recommend for runners, cyclists and most other sports as targets the core muscles which help stabilise the major muscle improving form and helping reduce injury.

Guest X-QUORK

I've heard it said that this "core strength" is a load of cobblers. Can anyone name the specific "core muscles" which are supposed to be strengthened?

I've heard it said that this "core strength" is a load of cobblers. Can anyone name the specific "core muscles" which are supposed to be strengthened?

No idea but I have looked at those charts you get in Physios. There are muscles in there that you won't even know exist. They must do something !!

Anything that improves strength, balance and flexibility is going to be useful for nearly every sport.

Whether Pilates does that or not I do not know. Never tried it.

I went to a yoga retreat with some couple-friends a few years ago. It was straight after skiing for a season so I was very conditioned and strong. All my friends struggled with basic static stances and as we progressively got more difficult I was the only one left standing, as it were, until the instructor helped me into a passable scorpion pose.

I attribute this to core strength built up over a season of skiing (and some prior basic yoga experience).

The other guys all did triathlons and suchlike but lacked a certain core strength.

How about the:

Latissimus Dorsi

Trapezius

Rectus Abdominis

Obliques

Transversus Abdominis

Psoas major

Illiacus

Rectus femoris

Pectineus

Sartorius

Pectoralis

And the

Intercostal muscles.

Quite why more people do not look to enhance their intercostal muscles with dedicated forced breathing exercises is beyond me. After all they are about the most important muscles in the body.

Of course core body work can only ever be an aspect of any fitness/strength program but it greatly increases power, strength channeling, I would say balance and it reduces the likelihood of a lot of injury, in particular back injury, which can be a killer.

And I would have thought that skiing was a fine way to build core body strength albeit not my preference. I don't like mountains.

Quite why more people do not look to enhance their intercostal muscles with dedicated forced breathing exercises is beyond me.

Maybe because they generally work just fine as they are?

Guest X-QUORK

How about the:

Latissimus Dorsi

Trapezius

Rectus Abdominis

Obliques

Transversus Abdominis

Psoas major

Illiacus

Rectus femoris

Pectineus

Sartorius

Pectoralis

And the

Intercostal muscles.

And I would have thought that skiing was a fine way to build core body strength albeit not my preference. I don't like mountains.

Quite why more people do not look to enhance their intercostal muscles with dedicated forced breathing exercises is beyond me. After all they are about the most important muscles in the body.

Of course core body work can only ever be an aspect of any fitness/strength program but it greatly increases power, strength channeling, I would say balance and it reduces the likelihood of a lot of injury, in particular back injury, which can be a killer.

This is the one and only definition of "core muscles" according to Google:

Core Muscles: Deep muscle layers that lay close to the spine and provide structural support.

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/glossary-for-strength-trainers/510870

Unless someone can come up with something better, I suspect it's a load of cobblers.

Yes, the dynamic balance aspect is key to developing core strength. You could do roller-blading for almost the same effect without as much gravitational loading (or cliffs).

Yeah, I hate progress too.

Well, what good does it actually do you to enhance your intercostal muscles with dedicated forced breathing exercises? I have no problem believing (for instance) that increasing the strength of your heart muscles through exercise could do you a lot of good. However, I don't think that the intercostal muscles have ever really come to my attention before. Are there millions of people out there whose lives will be improved by exercising them? I'm not necessarily disputing that there might be benefits; it's just that it's something that I don't recall ever having heard mentioned before.

"Unless someone can come up with something better, I suspect it's a load of cobblers."

Well we can split online hairs if you like but I suspect you like not,

"The major muscles of the core reside in the area of the belly and the mid and lower back (not the shoulders), and peripherally include the hips, the shoulders and the neck."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(anatomy)

And you can maybe mix up one definition of core muscles with core strength but I think a meaningful definition of the core muscles to express the very real benefits of being conscious of them would refer to the muscles of the belly, back, sides, hips and shoulders.

This is the one and only definition of "core muscles" according to Google:

Core Muscles: Deep muscle layers that lay close to the spine and provide structural support.

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/glossary-for-strength-trainers/510870

Unless someone can come up with something better, I suspect it's a load of cobblers.

I suppose it could be. One thing that suprised me is how difficult that exercise was. Now maybe it was difficult because it used muscle groups that I'm not used to and there are no such things as core muscles. But to me it was interesting that I can feel pretty fit and strong yet still be so inept at certain physical tasks because I'm not exercising in the right way, and there may be a way of going forward from this.

Of course the biffas amongst us may scoff, kick back and chomp their way through another burger. But I thought there was something pretty interesting to take away from this.

Guest X-QUORK

"Unless someone can come up with something better, I suspect it's a load of cobblers."

Well we can split online hairs if you like but I suspect you like not,

"The major muscles of the core reside in the area of the belly and the mid and lower back (not the shoulders), and peripherally include the hips, the shoulders and the neck."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(anatomy)

And you can maybe mix up one definition of core muscles with core strength but I think a meaningful definition of the core muscles to express the very real benefits of being conscious of them would refer to the muscles of the belly, back, sides, hips and shoulders.

My point being, there seems to be no agreed definition of "core strength" in relation to a defined list of "core muscles".

I could just as well invent a meme called "Central strength" and "Central muscles", it too would mean nothing but if enough people repeated it I bet you it would become the latest health craze.

Well, what good does it actually do you to enhance your intercostal muscles with dedicated forced breathing exercises? I have no problem believing (for instance) that increasing the strength of your heart muscles through exercise could do you a lot of good. However, I don't think that the intercostal muscles have ever really come to my attention before. Are there millions of people out there whose lives will be improved by exercising them? I'm not necessarily disputing that there might be benefits; it's just that it's something that I don't recall ever having heard mentioned before.

I'd go so far as to say that core muscle strength and associated breathing techniques are the route to enlightenment. :)