House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Ideas For A New Car Please

Want to pay about £10k.

Looking for something fun to drive. I bought my current one for lots of motorway cruising a few years ago - and it's ideal for that - but these days I don't do that and instead it's mainly fast twisty A roads. About 12,000 miles a year.

Aim is to keep it a couple of years and then get another one, keeping the budget fairly low as it's a real step up from my history of commuter cars and if I make a mistake I don't want it to be a very costly one. When I know what I really like then I'll spend more.

Current thinking: coupe, hot hatch or 4x4 (I'm undecided in case you hadn't guessed).

Don't want - convertible, diesel (except for 4x4)

Want - acceleration, handling, looks

Age - ideally 5 years or less but certainly no more than 7

Feedback especially welcome from people who own / have owned the car they are recommending. I've ploughed through What Car etc. and it's not exactly focussing my choice.

Ta muchly

Want to pay about £10k.

Looking for something fun to drive. I bought my current one for lots of motorway cruising a few years ago - and it's ideal for that - but these days I don't do that and instead it's mainly fast twisty A roads. About 12,000 miles a year.

Aim is to keep it a couple of years and then get another one, keeping the budget fairly low as it's a real step up from my history of commuter cars and if I make a mistake I don't want it to be a very costly one. When I know what I really like then I'll spend more.

Current thinking: coupe, hot hatch or 4x4 (I'm undecided in case you hadn't guessed).

Feedback especially welcome from people who own / have owned the car they are recommending. I've ploughed through What Car etc. and it's not exactly focussing my choice.

Ta muchly

Audi S3 1.8T Quattro?

Audi S3 1.8T Quattro?

You've enticed me out of my hole as I own one of these. Nice cars. Not really a true drivers car as the 4WD is heavy. The kerb weight is about 1300kg on my mark 1, so for a small car it's pretty heavy. Build is fantastic. Some very nice toys available. Not the fastest, but the 260BHP of the new model can still get you in a lot of trouble.

Now the downside. Audi dealers won't deal, so expect to pay a high price. Maintenance costs are shocking. I've had thousands of pounds of work done on the suspension. Things like switches failing are very expensive. Because the thing is so damn complicated you don't trust anyone other than a dealer to service it. I wouldn,t rate it as a reliable car in terms of parts. And if you get the DSG and it fails ...

Overall it's been fun, but shockingly expensive. I would budget for at least 1.5K pa on repairs when you buy it.

Want to pay about £10k.

Ta muchly

92-Landcruiser-VX-ltd-3.jpg

Landcruiser, every time. I run mine on bio diesel at 93p a litre. :)

92-Landcruiser-VX-ltd-3.jpg

Landcruiser, every time. I run mine on bio diesel at 93p a litre. :)

You are not great at following instructions are you.....:P

I would never pay the premium for an Audi badge. I also think the A3 is generally driven by cocks who think they own the road. Although Steve Austin is obviously the exception to the rule as I think he's a good guy. Sorry Steve.

Are you out car shopping today then Frank?

You are not great at following instructions are you.....:P

I thought that! Economy is not the aim here.

I would never pay the premium for an Audi badge. I also think the A3 is generally driven by cocks who think they own the road. Although Steve Austin is obviously the exception to the rule as I think he's a good guy. Sorry Steve.

Start of next week DD, got a few days off. I want to do the visits and test drives on Monday / Tuesday and pay the deposit end of Tuesday so I can have it on Friday and be driving it at the weekend so it partly depends what's available. I've been looking for over two years but I now accept I won't get exactly what I want for the price I want so it's better just to go out and buy something close to it given that I only intend to keep it for a couple of years anyway.

To paraphrase Peter Kay / Dave Spikey: the giro is burning a hole in my shell suit.

Guest theboltonfury

Want to pay about £10k.

Ta muchly

What sort of rig you gunna be towing?

Ford Focus ST from 2005-7ish.

It has the sweet 2.5 IL5 turbo motor and can be quite easily modded up to 350bhp using RS bits and ingenuity.

You'll also want new rims. The Focus has massive arches and needs 19" wheels at least.

Mazda RX8

the only rotary engined car available

1.3 litres that gives the power performance of a 2 litre+

unique styling

love those "invisible rear doors

space in the back is adequate compared to other neckbending models

fantastic handling

reliable

downsides - not the best mpg

have to keep an eye on the oil levels

http://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/used-mazda-rx8.php

for 10k u can pick up a 2 yr old model

I know what you are saying. The kind of person that pays the extra for the audi badge is looking for style over substance. As you probably know, the VW, Seat and Skoda are all made of pretty much the same parts.

With the audi you do get nicer interior trim, more options on the toys and generally higher spec engines, for example VW tailor the range so that the audis have the greatest hp and you can't get an equivalent engine in say the Seat. But fundamentally they have the same engine and if you wanted you could probably chip the seat engines to have the same bhp as the audi. The audi is probably heavier than the equivalent seat, so what you lose in bhp you make up for in mass.

I guess it depends what you want out of a car. If you are looking for driving enjoyment then you'd probably get the same out of a seat than from an audi, but if you're looking for something with a bit more comfort and toys then the audi is better.

I fell in love with the audis when I was a kid with the quattro rally cars that were dominant in their class. I always had the ambition to own a high power audi. When you go into the showrooms they still look fantastic. The new RS TT looks amazing. But of course that feeling wears off after 5 years of ownership and a small fortune in repair bills.

Guest Noodle

Okay, I'm probably not the best person to ask, but my brother had a Nissan Skyline, 550bhp on the dyno thing and it went quite well. It was quite fast.

I'd have to recommend the Seat Leon FR (from 06 onwards) Frank.

Edit: It's a diesel, but I LIKE it:

Nice car

Two or three years ago, I was looking at the Leon Curpa TDi, but they were a bit rich for me at the time. Other alternatives could include the old shape Honda Type-R (I find the newer shape fairly ugly), or you could go down the Alfa route, such as a Brera or a 159..I've got a 156, and its a fabulous handling thing, as well as being darn pretty. You say that you don't want a diesel, but their diesel engines are very torquey.... If you get one under 6/7 years old, you shouldn't really have any issues with it..

Mazda RX8

the only rotary engined car available

1.3 litres that gives the power performance of a 2 litre+

unique styling

love those "invisible rear doors

space in the back is adequate compared to other neckbending models

fantastic handling

reliable

downsides - not the best mpg

have to keep an eye on the oil levels

http://www.vcars.co....d-mazda-rx8.php

for 10k u can pick up a 2 yr old model

w@nkel!:P

Guest theboltonfury

BTW Frank, the audi S3 does not have a CB radio fitted as standard.

But, I believe it does come with an optional rally funpack.

Ideas:

Scirocco (too expensive?)

BMW 335 coupe (ditto?)

S2000 (ditto?)

Z3/Z4

Elise

Impreza / Evo (older ones)

XK

Edit: Ah crap just saw you wanted a new car. I don't know what fun car you can have brand new for 10k, I wouldn't have thought there was much choice, unless you go for something like a Caterham.

Edit: Oh, you said under 5 years, looks like I can't read instructions too.

I had seen a cheap Mazda RX8 that looked great.

I was just wary of the rotary engine and wondered if it was cheap for a reason or cheap because people (like me) were wary about them but were worrying unecessarily.

My previous listing, some of which have been covered but I hadn't posted as I didn't want to steer it, is:

4x4

Toyota RAV4

Honda CRV

Range Rover

Hot Hatch

Honda Civic Type R

Focus ST

Subaru Impreza

Coupe

Hyundai Coupe

Toyota Celica

Nissan 350

And

A big-engined Jag

Again, anybody with direct experience please let me know what they're like.

..or how about a VX220 / Elise hardtop?

Now that's too much fun zagreb.

I do need a smidgen of practicality though two seats is fine.

Ideas:

Scirocco (too expensive?)

BMW 335 coupe (ditto?)

S2000 (ditto?)

Z3/Z4

Elise

Impreza / Evo (older ones)

XK

Edit: Ah crap just saw you wanted a new car. I don't know what fun car you can have brand new for 10k, I wouldn't have thought there was much choice, unless you go for something like a Caterham.

Edit: Oh, you said under 5 years, looks like I can't read instructions too.

New as in different, I think I might get a nissan micra for £10k.