House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gigantic Purple Slug

Suspect Superlatives

Has anyone noticed the recent increase in superlatives used by agents to sell property ?

It seems to me that so many more properties are being described as "incredible opportunity" etc. Things are just getting silly. Especially when the opportunity is 50K overpriced, been on the market for 2 years and is something you wouldn't let your dog live in.

I'm thinking of coding a Property Bullsh****r application that trawls the web and counts the number of superlatives used to describe properties. My hunch is there will be a strong correlation to the total number of superlatives and the state of the market.

Has anyone noticed the recent increase in superlatives used by agents to sell property ?

It seems to me that so many more properties are being described as "incredible opportunity" etc. Things are just getting silly. Especially when the opportunity is 50K overpriced, been on the market for 2 years and is something you wouldn't let your dog live in.

I'm thinking of coding a Property Bullsh****r application that trawls the web and counts the number of superlatives used to describe properties. My hunch is there will be a strong correlation to the total number of superlatives and the state of the market.

Great idea. I agree there is a correlation often this goes hand in hand with descriptions like ' A great opportunity to stamp your personality' or ' has planning permission to build a substantial home' yet the prporty is priced up as if its already been refurbished or extended. Also, I have asked before but got shot down in flames on HPC (not sure why?) to see if there was a place on HPC to identify properties that are substantially over priced (there are tons of examples) - I was referred to old part of the site where there were only a couple of very old examples.

Or, perhaps identify those properties (about 1 in 3 in my area Mid Sussex) where a property has been on for ages - suddenly gets 'sold' then comes back on the market again about a month later as a new property. I think this is a similar scam EAs use in the US to distort those property websites that track time on market

Great idea. I agree there is a correlation often this goes hand in hand with descriptions like ' A great opportunity to stamp your personality' or ' has planning permission to build a substantial home' yet the prporty is priced up as if its already been refurbished or extended. Also, I have asked before but got shot down in flames on HPC (not sure why?) to see if there was a place on HPC to identify properties that are substantially over priced (there are tons of examples) - I was referred to old part of the site where there were only a couple of very old examples.

Or, perhaps identify those properties (about 1 in 3 in my area Mid Sussex) where a property has been on for ages - suddenly gets 'sold' then comes back on the market again about a month later as a new property. I think this is a similar scam EAs use in the US to distort those property websites that track time on market

Delist/relist is a common tactic in my area. Often when someone is chasing the market down and lowering the price by 2k a month or so, then they swap agents, add superlatives, change photos. When the properties come back on the price track websites they are then cleared of their old history. But of course anyone doing their homework can spot the relisting a mile off.

Does anyone know why rightmove offers the premier property option ? What does this actually do for the seller ?

You should come to Australia mate. It is absolutely over the effin top here.