House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dougal

Annoying Email From Letting Agent

We moved into our current property less than 6 weeks ago and today I received this rather snotty email from the letting agent:

Whilst passing the property yesterday I noticed that the front garden is looking a little overgrown and needs tending to –

May I please remind you that this is your responsibility, as per the tenancy agreement, which states:

'To keep the garden (if any) and grounds properly tended and free from weeds and in a neat and tidy condition'

If you are experiencing problems with this then please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Your consideration is much appreciated.

I am totally aware that there are a few weeds appearing and the lawn could do with a trim (its that time of year after all), but I really don't need the letting agent telling me how to organise my time. Nor do I appreciate knowing that the agent (landlord most likely) has been driving past the house having a good nose. As it happens, we HAD set aside some time this weekend to neaten up the garden, so this email really annoyed me! Can anyone help me with a suitable snotty reply? I won't be needing to renew the tenancy at the end of the 6 month period so I really don't mind being aggresive with them. :D

We moved into our current property less than 6 weeks ago and today I received this rather snotty email from the letting agent:

I am totally aware that there are a few weeds appearing and the lawn could do with a trim (its that time of year after all), but I really don't need the letting agent telling me how to organise my time. Nor do I appreciate knowing that the agent (landlord most likely) has been driving past the house having a good nose. As it happens, we HAD set aside some time this weekend to neaten up the garden, so this email really annoyed me! Can anyone help me with a suitable snotty reply? I won't be needing to renew the tenancy at the end of the 6 month period so I really don't mind being aggresive with them. :D

what an officious twerp. you should write back asking for the definition of overgrown and how high is he wanting you to keep the grass, shrubs etc and ask him to include it in the lease as well. ask him to identify the weeds as you are a novice when it comes to the garden and you dont want to pull out the wrong plants by mistake. you should suggest that you pick a time for gardening where they can send someone to identify the weeds every week/month. tell him that it is his duty as a managing agent to ensure that all the communication is crystal clear

"Dear SirorMadam,

Thank you for your letter of [date], detailing your respect for my privacy, and your good faith. I am so impressed by your courtesy I have already posted to a popular internet forum I frequent, and I shall of course not hesitate to share my experience with other prospective Clients.

Another poster on the internet forum also suggested I point out that bullying can be counterproductive, as victims are seldom inclined to humour the perpetrator unless through fear. Since my right to quiet enjoyment and my deposit are protected by law, I am not susceptible to bullying."

:blink:

What Mr Miseria said is good, though you may want to include a subtle hint to the sender about maybe keeping their snide opinions to themselves and maybe, perchance, obtaining something called a sense of perspective and/or possibly a life.

Either way, tell them to wind their fecking necks in and piss off while they are at it.

Let us know how it goes.

You could claim that the agents are breaching your right to peaceful enjoyment by organising unscheduled inspections of the property.

You could claim that the agents are breaching your right to peaceful enjoyment by organising unscheduled inspections of the property.

looking over the front garden fence is hardly going to cvount as a "breach of right to peaceful enjoyment"

tim

Can anyone help me with a suitable snotty reply? I won't be needing to renew the tenancy at the end of the 6 month period so I really don't mind being aggresive with them. :D

How about this:

Dear scumbag, go Feck yourself!!

Luv Dougal!

You could point out that weeds are any plant that is growing where we do not want it to. As a corollary to this there are either no weeds in the garden as you want all the plants there or you have now removed all vegetation, as per thier instructions, as you didn't want any of it growing there and it was therefor all weeds. You will keep a copy of thier letter as evidence of thier instructions. You would note that repeated unannounced visits to the property could be viewed by a court as harrasment and that you keep remote video recording equipment, and any such unwarranted intrusion on your right to quiet enjoyment will be dealt with swiftly.

How about just tidying up the garden like you promised to do when you signed the contract. Since landlords often cannot go in to view their investment on a regular basis, they are likely to use the state of the garden to judge the quality of the landlord. A messy garden also upsets neighbours.

You might not like the facts, but just send them a polite mail saying you were planning to do this anyway and will make sure it is nice and tidy from now on.

Save your ammunition for more serious issues.

I would reply with a fairly matter of fact letter pointing out that it is unreasonable for them to contact you every time that the lawn needs cutting; as a competent and responsible adult you are perfectly capable of assessing these issues and addressing them within an adequate time frame. On the same afternoon 5/10 lawns were in a similar stage of growth and given the recent long hours of sunshine and the fact that you are still in a 'settling in period' such intrusions could well be construed as harrassment. Conclude with a promise that you will be documenting each intrusion for future reference etc.

It should make the writer feel ashamed - if not a little anxious.

If things deteriorate write an honest review of the agent on Google maps.

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

Thanks for all your replies. In the end, I settled on this:

Dear letting agent,

Just to let you know garden is done and looking great. I would send you a picture but quite frankly I can't be bothered. Besides, I'm sure you will want to admire it next time you are 'passing by'. Be quick though, grass tends to grow fast this time of year.

Kind regards,

Dougal

I got one from my letting agent a while ago. It was a personal bout of bad health for me and family so could not be bothered with garden for about two weeks.

As they do a lot of viewings for unsellable properties around me someone must have carried out a flying audit of the outside.

I did felt annoyed as it is my personla opinion as to how high the grass and the wild flowers in the garden should be. They are very good for my macro photography - see for yourselfgarden wild flower.jpg

They suggested that if I am not capable I should hire a gardener on my expense. Of course I will not as I will only cut the grass and out of good will trim some bushes. The semi - trees I do not intend to touch as:

-no equipment has been provided by the agent;

- it requires expertise and skills in which I may not be necessary trained.

Anyway cut the grass, trimmed some bushes.

She says can she inspect.

I said but yes of course. Me and my wife are at home after 18:00.

But thats too late, we do not work that late.

I said I am sorry.

She sais can I send a colleague with the spare to check .

I of course said it is not appropriate for a complete stranger to be in my home in my absence. I took a well aimed photo and sent it over.She settled on the photographs. (next day we got the newws of the criminal letting agetn who stole from his clients).

So still at good terms with the agent and the garden is ok.

post-15591-1278365983548_thumb.jpg

cut the lawn.

make a note and record that after 6 weeks there are many weeds on the lawn. ensure that you demand that they add to the inventory that weeds have overwhelmed the grass and were clearly there and established BEFORE you moved in.

Is your Agent one from the counties of Essex and Suffolk I wonder?