House Price Crash Forum

Uruguay Cheats!

rolf

HOLA441

Last kick of regular time and a blatant handball save by Suarez (striker). Ghana miss the penalty and then lose on PKs.

If not for the cheating hand, Ghana would be through.

Maybe there will be riots tonight?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Last kick of regular time and a blatant handball save by Suarez (striker). Ghana miss the penalty and then lose on PKs.

Shoudl be a penalty goal like a penalty try in rugby

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

they got rid of gold and silver goals because they were basically cr@p.

Ghana had a great chance to even the score and reach the semis with that penalty.....................and they fluffed it!

That's football.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Ghana had a great chance to even the score and reach the semis with that penalty.....................and they fluffed it!

That's football.

So they had a 100% chance of a goal denied and converted into a less than certain chance. Remember, this was the last play of the match. Also, denying a goal with a hand, if not the goalie, is about the lowest of the low.

HOLA4410

That lead up from to all of that came from a rather questionable free kick for Ghana though.

Exactly what I was going to say. The commentators even said this very point before the free kick was taken. Then after the event ? They didn't bother to mention it but just kept on going on about the un-justness of it all.

I honestly think these pundits have producers in their ear pieces telling them what to discuss and what to forget about. Well unless maybe they are just dumb and forget what they said 5 minutes prior.

Uruguay will be a better match for Holland anyway. Ghana are ok but very messy and lots of mistakes.

HOLA4411

i felt bad about that for the ghanaians initially also.

but decided it really isn't that important in the great scheme.

should we be taking games this seriously?

win? lose? what's the difference?

HOLA4412

I would have liked Ghana to go through........but you are wrong....the stupid handball should have handed the game to Ghana.....(courtesy of the penalty). That penalty seemed rushed and wrecked their confidence for the penalty shoot out.

HOLA4413

I would have liked Ghana to go through........but you are wrong....the stupid handball should have handed the game to Ghana.....(courtesy of the penalty). That penalty seemed rushed and wrecked their confidence for the penalty shoot out.

Gyan missed the penalty, but then scored the first one in the shoot-out.

There is no penalty goal rule, Uruguay had their best striker sent off as per the rules, Suarez (49 golas for Ajax this season), who will miss the game v Holland. Justice of sorts.

HOLA4414

Shoudl be a penalty goal like a penalty try in rugby

We are back to the whole video replay issue here again.

If this had been rugby the guy would have been sent off and the goal allowed to stand. In many ways this is no different to the whole Frank Lampard England goal. A goal was about to be scored but was cleared illegally from the line, Ghana did not go through to the next stage because of it, a replay should have allowed them the goal which they deserved.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So they had a 100% chance of a goal denied and converted into a less than certain chance. Remember, this was the last play of the match. Also, denying a goal with a hand, if not the goalie, is about the lowest of the low.

Very disappointed that Uruguay resorted to the handball. What must have gone through their mind was, we can either let it be a goal, or risk a penalty at a limited (25%?) chance of a score.

I didn't like it, but what would any of us have done in that situation?

HOLA4417

Suarez is a true patriot and team player, sacrificed himself and his own personal desire to play in the semi-final to give his team a chance to get there.

If some of our players showed that kind of heroism we might not have ended up getting spanked by Ze Germans.

On a different note, yeah it sucks that it robbed Ghana of a winning goal, but they had their chance to go through. No professional player should miss from 12 yards with just the goalie to beat.

(I've missed a couple in my time) :lol:

HOLA4418

Suarez is a true patriot and team player, sacrificed himself and his own personal desire to play in the semi-final to give his team a chance to get there.

If some of our players showed that kind of heroism we might not have ended up getting spanked by Ze Germans.

On a different note, yeah it sucks that it robbed Ghana of a winning goal, but they had their chance to go through. No professional player should miss from 12 yards with just the goalie to beat.

(I've missed a couple in my time) :lol:

Yep. Don't blame him..He did something instinctive to save his team..The Ghanians could have scored that penalty, and we wouldn't be sitting around saying "what if", but they were pretty crap at taking them, which in the end, cost them. Would have been interesting to see what the ref would have done, if the ball was over the line, and he pushed it back. Is it fair that a professional foul inside the box automatically constitutes a red card & a penalty?

For all of his flaws Maradonna remains my hero.

The greatest footballer of all time.

A true character.

An eccentric.

A man of the people.

Unlike the pampered fops and dandies of the England squad here is a man who cares about football, about his players and about his country.

He is one of us despite being separated from us by virtue of a talent that is unmatched.

I hope he lifts the world cup.

The inability of the English to get over his "hand of God" and their refusal to accept that ALL players and ALL teams cheat in some way and at some time says so much more about them than the act itself says about Maradonna.

A legend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jul/02/diego-maradona-method-madness

I hope the Argies go on and get to the final..It'll would be very interesting game, probably against the Dutch (they met before in the '78 WC final)..Maradona is a mad, bad, crazy genius, and I hope that he goes on and wins it..

HOLA4419

We are back to the whole video replay issue here again.

If this had been rugby the guy would have been sent off and the goal allowed to stand. In many ways this is no different to the whole Frank Lampard England goal. A goal was about to be scored but was cleared illegally from the line, Ghana did not go through to the next stage because of it, a replay should have allowed them the goal which they deserved.

Clearly a lot of people are commenting on this subject who didn't actually watch the game...:rolleyes:

If video evidence was used the handball would never have taken place. As the free kick it resulted from was simply not a free kick.

But of course that doesn't make a great story so even though the commentators mentioned it prior to the free kick - I imagine it will not be mentioned again. Sensationalism rules yet again.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I am pleased that Ghana are now out of the World Cup.

This might be a bit controversial...

All we have been hearing throughout this competition is constant reference to "The African Nation" and how fantastic it is that football

has put not just South Africa, but the whole Continent on the World map. Pictures of smiling POOR black families sitting around the TV are shown endlessly.

Reference to the "Rainbow Nation" and Mandela are whispered breahlessly into the microphone as though this is a country and a life we should all aspire to.

It's almost as though the Western World is trying to get rid of their post colonial guilt by showing how well we now regard the BLACK African.

Yesterday's game was precedeed by a an anti-racist speach by captains from both Ghana and Uruguay.

Enough of this politically correct ********!

I consider it quite insulting to the ordinary person (black or white) in South Africa that this constinual stream of right on broadcast media

is pumped through the airways.

This is a football competition...not a major UN Conference. To use footballers and football to justify this parade of political and humanitarian nonsense is quite ridiculous.

Lets just turn the tables and imagine...the competition was being held in a European country and everyone was praising the white man and their way of life...We would all be squirming.

Nothing highlights this more than those bloody Vuvuzelas. It's part of South African culture and football we are told. No it's not! It's a moronic drone that cancels out nearly all

the noise from the crowd. Of course FIFA won't ban them so just enjoy it is the message. Lets see...there are on average 60,000 people in the crowd and 100's of millions watching on TV.

So we pander to the selfish idiot with his trumpet and spoil the enjoyment of millions...but this is South African culture so you better bloody well respect it!

Your thoughts...

HOLA4422

Your thoughts...

I never watch any of the build up or sections where a BBC reporter on expenses walks around a hovel tutting. Unless it's an England game I don't usually watch the first half either.

So all the various messages have passed me by and I was delighted that Uruguay got through.

HOLA4423

It was a close game and aside from the poor penalties Ghana were probably marginally better than Uruguay on the balance of play.

Is taking a punt on saving a certain goal with your hand knowing it´ll be a red card and penalty if spotted a complete cheat or just cleverly working with the rules as they stand?

You can tell there's not much money in African foot otherwise FIFA would have had the game fixed for the Ghana to win like Italy vs Korea in 2002.

HOLA4424

Video replay?!

Well, as it's already been said, the lead up to the goal wasn't a free kick.

How about Ghana winding down time against the usa by feigning injury in extra time...remember that a few days ago.

If that was an England defender, you know that no one would be using the word cheat...and for those who say we'd never do the same thing, it happens loads of times. I don't agree with it, but it was pure instinct and he'd already saved one certain goal off the line with a great stop. For me, that game was what the world cup is about, watching teams you'd never bother and getting into it!

As for the coverage by ITV. So poor...with commentary that just doesn't justify national broadcast.

HOLA4425

You can tell there's not much money in African foot otherwise FIFA would have had the game fixed for the Ghana to win like Italy vs Korea in 2002.

haha, i remember that! Don't remember anyone saying 'cheat' then!

Archived