House Price Crash Forum
djm1972

Your Emergency Cash Stash

Everyone remembered to make sure that their emergency cash stash is still comprised of legal tender? :blink:

One of the last desperate acts of the previous government to ensure as much cash floating around the economy was pissed up the wall prior to the election.

Together with best part of 2 billion on swine flu.

God knows how much on shite adverts.

Oh, and the few hundred billion thrown at a bunch of crooks who should now all be enjoying the globalised jobs market they so keenly embraced.

An interesting, if cryptic comment.

Are you referring to that business with the old £20 notes?

An interesting, if cryptic comment.

Are you referring to that business with the old £20 notes?

Yes! It only occurred to me when in Tescos a short while ago and I noticed the sign.

They were last issued in 2007, and ceased to be recognised as legal tender 2 days ago; so may form part of a stash created in response to the run on Northern Rock.

Yes! It only occurred to me when in Tescos a short while ago and I noticed the sign.

They were last issued in 2007, and ceased to be recognised as legal tender 2 days ago; so may form part of a stash created in response to the run on Northern Rock.

Yet there is no penalty for banks that continue to issue them from cash machines...

The bank of England legally has promised to give you, upon demand, the sum of £20 if you hand over one of the £20 notes. This is true today, yesterday, or in 20 years time (as long as there is still a bank of England :ph34r: )

All it means is that shops don't have to accept them.

The bank of England legally has promised to give you, upon demand, the sum of £20 if you hand over one of the £20 notes. This is true today, yesterday, or in 20 years time (as long as there is still a bank of England :ph34r: )

All it means is that shops don't have to accept them.

All true, of course.

I was only really referring to an emergency token amount (I tend to keep about £60 stashed away that I try to pretend I haven't got) in case of a serious cash-machine or banking systems failure for a few days.

But since starting the thread and researching the last issue date of the £20 notes in question; it is possible that they were given out in customer withdrawals during the run on Northern Rock; and how many of them decided that the mattress was the safest place for them?

All true, of course.

I was only really referring to an emergency token amount (I tend to keep about £60 stashed away that I try to pretend I haven't got) in case of a serious cash-machine or banking systems failure for a few days.

Blimey just hope the failure doesn`t last for more than a day ...I`m probably paranoid but have a few thou...just in case.

Cash Is King

Still to check my stash. Hopefully all is ok. I suspect there is only one Bank of England, and it's in London, many miles from me!!