House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

m4rk

Is Something Wrong With Me?

im on holliday from work and doing nothing just sitting browsing the net on the couch. got invited to my parents family bbq tonight nothing planned and i made up an excuse not to go.

a friend left a message on my phone (didnt answer just listened to message) inviting me for a weekend away to glasgow to a party with his cousin i made another excuse.

and just 5 minutes ago my housemate invited me to town with his co-workers for a night out involving lots of single attractive ladies (as he put it including 1 or 2 people i have met before) but i said i was going to my parents bbq.....

do i need to kick myself into doing something rather than wasteing away on the couch..

I've been the same loads of times. I even wondered if I had a touch of aspergers or social anxiety syndrome.

The thing is I have no interest in vanilla 'gatherings' where it's just a bunch of people I sort of know that talk about their job, their car, where they went on holiday, etc. or it's some massively noisy pub get together where you give up trying to hear what people are saying after five minutes and just sort of drift off until it's socially acceptable to make a move for the door. ****** that - surfing the net in your pants on the sofa's a much better idea.

If it's something good that I'm being invited to then I'm there all guns blazing.

im on holliday from work and doing nothing just sitting browsing the net on the couch. got invited to my parents family bbq tonight nothing planned and i made up an excuse not to go.

a friend left a message on my phone (didnt answer just listened to message) inviting me for a weekend away to glasgow to a party with his cousin i made another excuse.

and just 5 minutes ago my housemate invited me to town with his co-workers for a night out involving lots of single attractive ladies (as he put it including 1 or 2 people i have met before) but i said i was going to my parents bbq.....

do i need to kick myself into doing something rather than wasteing away on the couch..

I've known this feeling for more or less 5 years now. Most of my interactions more and more digital, virtual and "online." I have 400+ Facebook friends and don't know WTF they are (and neither do I want to meet them).I am now, more or less a ghost.

All people, myself included, at various times seem to have an extreme craving or loathing for social interaction with no happy middle ground.

All people, myself included, at various times seem to have an extreme craving or loathing for social interaction with no happy middle ground.

Its the next stage of our evolution :lol:

Guest theboltonfury

You could at least pork one of the birds. Then get back into your pants and flick through some internet filth.

Sounds like you are knackered and just want some time to yourself. That said, anhedonia is a fairly reliable indicator of a depression to come, people often don't notice it in themselves... still find pleasure in stuff like listening to music, watching films or reading books? I still wouldn't worry about it massively unless you have form in this area, going back to work will sort you out anyway.

Guest theboltonfury

Watch the film 'Yes Man' while you are on the sofa.

Shit, don't do that!

Read the book, it's a million times better.

Guest X-QUORK

You could at least pork one of the birds. Then get back into your pants and flick through some internet filth.

WARNING!! Sector two-three alpha - filth alert - filth alert - WARNING!!

Guest theboltonfury

WARNING!! Sector two-three alpha - filth alert - filth alert - WARNING!!

Quork, you're having another one of those flashbacks.

You left the army in 1945.

You are a misanthrope. No biggie. There are lots of us out there.

I've been the same loads of times. I even wondered if I had a touch of aspergers or social anxiety syndrome.

The thing is I have no interest in vanilla 'gatherings' where it's just a bunch of people I sort of know that talk about their job, their car, where they went on holiday, etc. or it's some massively noisy pub get together where you give up trying to hear what people are saying after five minutes and just sort of drift off until it's socially acceptable to make a move for the door. ****** that - surfing the net in your pants on the sofa's a much better idea.

If it's something good that I'm being invited to then I'm there all guns blazing.

May be you are just smart and a bit techy/nerdy and just find everyday conversations a touch dull.

In the US you do get geeky social clubs and they do things like build rockets, pumpkin tossers and all other manner of weird inventions. I've always been a bit if a techny nerd, and in many ways would prefer to spend time doing something like that than listen to someone droning on about their new car/house/kids school etc.

Since I've been in more of a sales role and have become more senior in business, I have learnt to do the small talk piece, but secretly I still harbour desires to hackaround with OS kernels, programme FPGAs and build circuitboards.

Guest X-QUORK

Man up wetpants. Go out and get amongst those beautiful young women, just waiting for some techo-nerd action.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you haven't ..... get out there while you still can !

For the record, in bold is my choice if faced with the three propositions. If single attractive ladies, probably scantily clad due to the warm weather doesn't get your **** off the couch nothing will. I tend to go to playgroups now with my 2 year old just so I can chat up the other mums for fecks sake ! It's the only flirtation I really get these days !

Would you normally accept the invitations and go along? If not, then, no, probably not - some people are wired up like this and more independent than others who need to be around people all the time.

On the other hand - if you normally are quite sociable: I've suffered from depression and anxiety at various stages of my life, which in the past might have caused me to stay home though as I've advanced in years I know the right thing to do is to get out and about.

One other thought: do you smoke too much weed? (Rhetorical question - no need to reply to that, but it may answer why you prefer to stay home..)

Don't worry about it, all men need cave-time occasionally. Sometimes the prospect of a weekend spend scratching yer **** and fiddling with yer baws can be just as satisfying (if not more so) than the three invites you were extended.

Were I you, close the curtains, get some booze in, and watch a few films.

As someone else said, if you have no familial obligations (wife or kids) then these opportunities will be remembered wistfully back in those halcyon days when you could do just what the feck you wanted.