House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Daily Mail - Mortgage Famine Article

There is bit of a ding dong going on in the readers comments for the following Daily Mail - Mortgage Famine - article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291203/Warning-second-credit-crunch-lenders-warn-worsening-mortgage-drought.html

It would be good to see HPC'er contributed readers comments as well as the usual green/red arrows as appropriate.

The pro high/rising house brigade are led pretty much by Jeff, Edinburgh, Wappity and TheDailyMale - so some comments directed at them wouldn't go amiss.

As well as being some fun I do also think that these readers comments have a large audience (Daily Mail has very large readership) and on this basis it is good, I think, to provide that audience with an alternative discourse about the property market, house prices, etc. No doubt there will be discussions stimulated beyond the webpage comments to the workplace environment, home, the pub, etc. All helpful towards the turning of sentiment about house prices.

It's all in the words...

"In May there were just under 50,000 house purchase loans, according to the Bank of England's own figures.

By comparison, more than 100,000 were handed out every month in the two years before the credit crunch struck in August 2007.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291203/Warning-second-credit-crunch-lenders-warn-worsening-mortgage-drought.html#ixzz0sWxEIFzN

"

Handed out without thought or calculation.

It's all in the words...

"In May there were just under 50,000 house purchase loans, according to the Bank of England's own figures.

By comparison, more than 100,000 were handed out every month in the two years before the credit crunch struck in August 2007.

Handed out without thought or calculation.

Interesting use of language. 'Handed out' has so many implications - is it a prize (to be an investor on the property ladder) or a reward (for being a hard working family)?

The idea of mortgages being "handed out" does rather demean them. After all, they are the single largest debt most people will ever have, and they are usually for fairly large amounts of money (note the understatement). I consider the idea of getting heavily into debt to buy a house as a very serious issue. I'd like my mortgage considered, verified and approved. I don't want it just handed out! :o

QB

Houses were cheap in the Olden Days, but you had to save up for them! :huh: